Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy or in the case of the Tweeter in the first post, xenophobia.

ReputationRep:
    Full of immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy lol.

I love London. Lived here my whole life and I couldn't imagine living in a rural setting. I'd get bored extremely quickly and I love fast-paced city life.

ReputationRep:
    No foreigners...

Lol what a ****ing idiot

I dislike London, but also love the thought of it

ReputationRep:
    Love London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    haha! mega rich foreign investors are powering in to London with their millions$$$$$ each year
    So? They will have fun, rape the city and then move on when london is all dried up

ReputationRep:
    I used to like it when I went there occasionally, then I lived there for a few months and rapidly grew to dislike it, though not completely hate. I lived in tower Hamlets, though, and there are much much nicer parts of London if you can afford them. I commute into London occasionally for my current job and it's hell. I'm a country bumpkin, I don't deal with big cities and crowded places well.

I also don't like how everything is centered on London, which has lead to the insane cost of living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Jealousy or in the case of the Tweeter in the first post, xenophobia.
    Or maybe it's just not that great. Try going to new york if you can afford it

(Original post by Tai Ga)
    Jealousy lol.

I love London. Lived here my whole life and I couldn't imagine living in a rural setting. I'd get bored extremely quickly and I love fast-paced city life.
    Ever been abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Things I like about London:

Parks in the summer
    Everything goes on here (festivals/exhibitions whatever)
    Good weather compared to Northern England
    Lots of jobs
    Where I live it's pretty 'nice'

Things I hate about London:

Ridiculously overpriced
    Too congested / polluted / takes ages to get anywhere
    Underground is awful on hot days and at rush hour
    Surroundings are 'boring' in terms of nature/walking compared to areas like the Lake District
    Terrible cycling infrastructure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I grew up in London and have mixed opinions about it. There are definitely lots of great things to do there, but I also hate how generally quite cold and unfriendly it is compared to other cities I've lived in. I decided to move away because I got bored of it and wanted to explore other places. I'm now living in Edinburgh, which is a bit cheaper and has wonderful scenery and culture. I moved here to be with my boyfriend, and we'd definitely rather settle here than in London

Why? Hasn't done me any harm :p:

I agree with her as well; London is nice but quite overrated compared to other cities in the UK and abroad. And I've done my fair bit of travelling so I know what she means :yep:
    Ah thats cool! Yeah I think travelling sort of opened my eyes, plus I'll be on my year abroad this year so I'm sort of used to the idea of moving around. I think for those who have never lived in London would draw into the hype of it all. I remember meeting a guy from Australia a couple of months ago and when I told him I was thinking of moving after uni he was in complete shock and started going on about all the amazing things to do lool. :rolleyes:

(Original post by matthewduncan)
    never move outside the south east.
    dont do it.
    haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
    Things I like about London:

Parks in the summer
    Everything goes on here (festivals/exhibitions whatever)
    Good weather compared to Northern England
    Lots of jobs
    Where I live it's pretty 'nice'

Things I hate about London:

Ridiculously overpriced
    Too congested / polluted / takes ages to get anywhere
    Underground is awful on hot days and at rush hour
    Surroundings are 'boring' in terms of nature/walking compared to areas like the Lake District
    Terrible cycling infrastructure
    Summed it up nicely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarchingBand2015)
    I've never been to London but I plan on going someday. I'm fascinated by pretty much anything British and I would love to see Buckingham Palace, and pretty much any other historical site there is. I also really want to ride in a London cab and in the Tube. I don't think I'd ever want to do that here in the States but I've heard it's good there. Don't be sad! It seems like a very lovely city, as proved by the Olympics, and all of the royal events that happen there give London more exposure to the world and we see how cool of a city it really is!
    No you don't.

ReputationRep:
    I moved to Edinburgh. My family still live in London so I'm sure I could easily go back to living there if I really wanted to. And even if I didn't, no biggie - there's more to life than London anyway
    i agree theres more to life than london thats why i said the south east lol.
    fair play to you though if your happy your happy.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in London my whole life and was non-the-wiser about its ****ness until I left for uni. I can totally understand its appeal for people who have grown up in quiet areas, but there's nothing actually that great about it. It's expensive, polluted, overcrowded, culturally segregated, terrible for families, and outside the City of London, pretty ugly as well. To get the most out of London you have to be fairly rich. For the average person, everything appealing about it can be acheived in a day trip. People go on about the art, the museums the events etc, but lets be honest most of the time you're going to be working and not thinking twice about it.

I'm going far away and moving to the seaside and fresh air.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borgia)
    Its still mediocre compared to other world cities.
    We're sorry you evidently didn't have a pleasant experience of London! That said, it's unclear to me why you're so stubborn in your inability to accept that, perhaps, just maybe, London has unique characteristics that some people really do enjoy. Just because you didn't have the fortune of experiencing them doesn't mean there's nothing more to London.

In fact I wouldn't trade my memories of living in central London for anything! Surrounded by the most brilliant, educated and self-respecting friends, frequenting cafes, artisan bakeries, record shops, all the world's fashions and foods, weekly gigs, world class libraries and a university with colleges to die for.. perfect.

(Only to be sure you don't jump to assumptions, bear in mind that I've lived in one of Europe's other financial capitals as well, renowned for its wealth, architecture and quality of life. I have relatives in New York, and have travelled quite extensively. I don't have the 'born and bred' bias, so let me tell you, I can see perhaps it's not for everyone [especially not for those that can't afford it!] but if it's for you, my goodness London is fun.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pollution? Cost?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people love London too. Although, you can understand why people don't like London due to it being very expensive and crowded etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think anyone complaining that London is a cesspool of immigrants is a bit rich if you are from the north.
    According to the 2011 census:
    London:
    White (59.8%)
    Asian (18.4%)
    Black (13.3%)

B'ham (the *possible* inventor of the balti:
    White (57.9%)
    Asian (26.6%)
    Black (8.9%)

Liverpool:
    White (66.7%)
    Asian (14.4%)
    Black (8.6%)

Leicester:
    White (50.6%)
    Asian (31.8%)
    Black (6.3%)

(Original post by Borgia)
    With home grown terrorism, gangs, and no natural beauty such as the mountains that surround Vancouver? Yeah right. Londonistan is a cesspit and is quickly going downhill.
    7/7 bombers... (source: wiki)
    The four suicide bombers were later identified and named as:

And unless you're next to Snowdonia, the Lake district or the Highlands, the UK is densely populated, so yeah.

Also, what makes a city, like NY better than London? London is expensive as hell, but it's the capital city after all and NY is also very expensive and hyped, and at least our mayor isn't some crack addict, though he probably is

ReputationRep:
    fyi i def haven't explained myself v. clearly in this reply but i really cba to argue with people at london because i know it's amazing so i literally wrote down all my thoughts like hella quickly.

Like, what the hell? How can people not like London, honestly it's totally odd. I've lived here all my life, it's my favourite place in the world and I'm def gonna live here till I die. There is no way in hell that I would move to some market/ seaside town. Why? Because it was be so boring. Not about that country life - or nature. However, speaking of nature, London has so much green space eg. Greenwich Park (nicest park ever). There is SO much to do, galleries, museums, restaurants, shops, theatres, cinemas, like literally everything is here. I don't understand why people are saying it takes ages to get to places? Obviously they don't understand the amazing transport system we have. TFL is the best thing ever, I'm sorry but I just cannot take the ugly white buses or rainbow bus systems in other cities/ towns. It's so odd. Buses come like every 5 minutes, but in the countryside you have like 1 bus a day - omg I would shoot myself (with my clay pigeon gun - lol.) Of course, we also have the amazing tube, and overground, and DLR - as well as all the trains - also everywhere is walkable (as long as you enjoy walking) and things are actually so close to each other if you know where you're going. Also, the people saying that we're all grumpy and everybody barges into each other are totally dumb. You can bump into people anyway, there's plenty of space and it isn't even that busy in London. In these irrelevant places you come from (I don't mean to be mean but they'er so irrelevant to me lol) there pavements are teeeeny so you actually bump into people there. Of course there are some dodge parts but tbh they're all being developed so it's a bit hipster ugh but whatever. Londoners are not grumpy ugh. Everyone is so nice and I love that London is so diverse, it's a global hub and I just cannot believe that some of you don't like it. That's mental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 고구마)
    And unless you're next to Snowdonia, the Lake district or the Highlands, the UK is densely populated, so yeah.
    That is a ridiculous statement. What about the 4,600,000 hectares of agricultural land, is that not sparsely populated?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.