Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexF389)
    Air Traffic (Officer) for myself , yes they said that to me, however for me, my aptitude test score is about to become invalid (June) so my AFCO believe it'll be a yes/no scenario whenever I get the letter . Positive though. Has got the the stage where I can't quite remember what I did at OASC! No feedback at all, which is a shame, I'd love to see a report or know what grade I have at the very least! Horrible knowing all my friends are getting places (Pilots, Logs) and I'm still waiting for the sift. Sure we'll be sitting back over a drink in the mess in a few years time, wondering what all the stress was about!
    Nail on the head, you walk away from IOT and wonder what all the stress was about too! It's understandable to feel like this though, I've been there, wasn't sifted but I did get deferred so can feel your pain in some respects. Don't panic and don't worry. You'll get on eventually, just keep positive, when you start IOT you'll soon be wishing you were back home with time on your hands rather than up until stupid o'clock ironing and polishing.

Any questions about anything, let me know, hope you hear soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    Nail on the head, you walk away from IOT and wonder what all the stress was about too! It's understandable to feel like this though, I've been there, wasn't sifted but I did get deferred so can feel your pain in some respects. Don't panic and don't worry. You'll get on eventually, just keep positive, when you start IOT you'll soon be wishing you were back home with time on your hands rather than up until stupid o'clock ironing and polishing.

Any questions about anything, let me know, hope you hear soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Hopefully I will be in a position to need to pick your brains soon! Had an email from my AFCO - they have had a chat to OASC and it looks like the sift will be held during next month sometime. So I'll just try and sit back and enjoy myself for a few weeks in case they do accept me - got a couple of friends that started in April - they've been run off their feet!

ReputationRep:
    So I got back from OASC a week ago today (21st - 23rd Apr Board), and I'm still waiting on the letter! (Painful experience, I can tell you). My questions for those who have attended recently:

* How long did you have to wait before you received correspondence? (The OASC Duty Officer said it was currently taking ~2 weeks for candidates to receive letters, but he wasn't sure)

* Did you get an email, a letter or both? When did you get each?

* What did the letter contain, other than "You've passed/failed"?

* What is the next stage in the process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf00103)
    So I got back from OASC a week ago today (21st - 23rd Apr Board), and I'm still waiting on the letter! (Painful experience, I can tell you). My questions for those who have attended recently:

* How long did you have to wait before you received correspondence? (The OASC Duty Officer said it was currently taking ~2 weeks for candidates to receive letters, but he wasn't sure)

* Did you get an email, a letter or both? When did you get each?

* What did the letter contain, other than "You've passed/failed"?

* What is the next stage in the process?
    It took 6 weeks before I recieved anything - Christmas got in the way - and the email said further consideration, your case will be discussed in a meeting in due course (next month as it happens) and your presence will not be required. In short, I've been put into a sift. Didn't say anything else of any huge importance. The next stage in the process if you're accepted is a Fam visit - an fitness test comprising outdoor 2.4k run, pressups, situps etc. Security bits and pieces, boot issue, tour of the place and the opportunity to meet your flight commander. Heard rumours of an essay too?? Only a 1 nighter so busy couple of days!
    It can be a long wait, I've been going for 5 months now. Try not to let it get to you too much, thought doubt you'll be waiting as long as me . And good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexF389)
    It took 6 weeks before I recieved anything - Christmas got in the way - and the email said further consideration, your case will be discussed in a meeting in due course (next month as it happens) and your presence will not be required. In short, I've been put into a sift. Didn't say anything else of any huge importance. The next stage in the process if you're accepted is a Fam visit - an fitness test comprising outdoor 2.4k run, pressups, situps etc. Security bits and pieces, boot issue, tour of the place and the opportunity to meet your flight commander. Heard rumours of an essay too?? Only a 1 nighter so busy couple of days!
    It can be a long wait, I've been going for 5 months now. Try not to let it get to you too much, thought doubt you'll be waiting as long as me . And good luck!
    Yeah, a couple of guys going for Non-Com Aircrew got emails after 4 calendar days that said

"Following your recent attendance at the Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre (OASC), the Royal Air Force College Cranwell, I am pleased to tell you that you have been placed on a list for further consideration for Non Commissioned Aircrew service. The competition for very few training places in the branch is extremely fierce and your case will be reviewed at a further selection meeting in three months time. Your presence at this meeting is not required, and you will be advised of the outcome in writing. Although there is no guarantee of success, if you are not selected at this time you could remain on the list for further consideration for a maximum of nine months, at which time, if you have not been selected, you will be written to and informed that your application will be closed down.'

None of the guys going for a commission have heard anything yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alex what's dates your OASC? I've got mine on 12th may

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mhutch)
    No mate, i'v got my OASC in 2 weeks. A bit nervous to say the least! I think that's the best view for it. Go at it 100% and have no regrets of negative thoughts.
    What date you got your OASC? I've got mine 12th May.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys im finding some speed distance time questions difficult, can anyone help?

You travel 61 miles in 1 hour 5 minutes. What speed are you travelling at?

Any help with the solution would be fantastic

ReputationRep:
    its a question that requires a calculator in all honesty. 61(distance) /65 (time) = 0.93 x 60 = 56.31 mph

ReputationRep:
    Anyone from 7-9th April OASC heard back yet? Friday marks 3 weeks since OASC, hopefully should get a letter soon!

ReputationRep:
    I went on 7th of April. Was in foxtrot syndicate! I received an email last week saying I've been put on the list for further consideration. Will let me know in 4 months.

ReputationRep:
    3 months *

ReputationRep:
    Nice, well done! Horrible wait though! I'm rubbish with names but I can remember faces, were you going for pilot or flight ops? I was in Echo

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for flight ops,names Craig. Are you going for pilot? Yeh long wait. Hopefully worth It, surely if it was a no they would have said by now! It does happen though. Have you had any feedback?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes, it's Jamie, one of the ones going for Pilot. Not heard anything so hoping for the old "no news is good news"

ReputationRep:
    3 months? Christ they do like to make you wait don't they? I've not heard of anyone getting cut after being put into filter but I've never heard people getting a direct "YES" either.

ReputationRep:
    I got the further consideration email back in February and still waiting to hear back. It does seem like a lot of people are getting the same outcome at the minute. Such an anxious wait though! Hopefully hear back this week as this week is 3 months since I received the email

ReputationRep:
    Think yourselves lucky, one of the lads on my IOT was awaiting an IOT date for over a year after being put in the sift. He was serving already so wasn't a stress on his employment circumstances though, so this is always worst case scenario and not the norm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seriously glad I'm not the only one in a sift, albeit the one that's happening this month. Been waiting since the end of November though - biggest mental test I've ever had!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FJI91)
    I got the further consideration email back in February and still waiting to hear back. It does seem like a lot of people are getting the same outcome at the minute. Such an anxious wait though! Hopefully hear back this week as this week is 3 months since I received the email
    Hi there . The sift is due to be held this month according to the info my AFCO could get from Cranwell. It's been just over 3 months since I had my email, so about right. Not sure when this month though but assume it'll be soon as the Fam visits for July start in a few days!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.