Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squid.)
    Okay, thank you very much
    Also, should I use my normal gcse books to revise for my chosen subjects?
    That depends, may I ask what subjects you are taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkAvenger)
    Personally, I would say that the school is great in terms of facilities, links and teachers. But there is no actual figure or track record which has spurred my uncertainty.

My concern exactly - personally, I would not risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesleigh)
    I'll give you a little tip, my candidate number was 0013. What I'm sure they have done, is assign your year the set of numbers after ours. Only reason I think this, is because my student number is also 13.

No, the exam's aren't easy, but they weren't meant to be. They gave us hard papers, not so they could see what we knew, but how we tackled a problem. Don't despair if you open your paper, and it looks like a whole different language.

To be honest, I am not really sure about the candidate number- it maybe the student number or just the number of people there? I don't know!
    I know the papers are not going to be easy as I have sat scholarship exams, in which I have received places. But I do think they want an answer along with the way I tackled it with....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    My concern exactly - personally, I would not risk it.
    Completely, there are several other places which already have a track record. Plus I realised HWSF has school on Saturday Another aspect of consideration....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themonalisa)
    Thank you this is really helpful

I applied to Westminster School (the private one) but failed to make it through to the interview stage, and I'm applying at LAE, Seven Kings, NCS, Forest Sixth Form, Valentine's School. Unfortunately the deadline for the other private/really prestigious schools have already gone. What about yourself?
    Ooh- I also applied to a private school, City of London Boy's, I got a full scholarship place there. Apart from that I applied to King's College Maths, Harris, LAE, NCS and Chobham. I also missed the deadline for other sixth forms like Latymer.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I am not really sure about the candidate number- it maybe the student number or just the number of people there? I don't know!
    I know the papers are not going to be easy as I have sat scholarship exams, in which I have received places. But I do think they want an answer along with the way I tackled it with....
    If you're name is lte on in the alphabet, that number is almost certainly around the number of applicants. Last year there were almost 400 applicants and they were numbered alphabetically by surname. E.g surnames beginning with Z would be around 400 and A around 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobsta)
    That depends, may I ask what subjects you are taking?
    Biology, chemistry, maths and physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    If you're name is lte on in the alphabet, that number is almost certainly around the number of applicants. Last year there were almost 400 applicants and they were numbered alphabetically by surname. E.g surnames beginning with Z would be around 400 and A around 1
    My surname starts with a C, I don't think that logic applies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakshres)
    I haven't received reply back from Harris Westminster ever since I applied for it, so the anxiety is really becoming a pain now but looking at questions it didn't seem to be too hard. It would be best to make revision notes and re-visit them continuously. If you guys don't mind, would you be happy to tell me your predicted grades?

Thanks
    I've just got a letter and an email for Harris, telling me the date, time, and subject
    My predicted grades are 8 A*'s, 3 A's
    My achieved grades are 3 A*'s, 3 A's

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a letter and an email for Harris, telling me the date, time, and subject
    My predicted grades are 8 A*'s, 3 A's
    My achieved grades are 3 A*'s, 3 A's
    Hello, did your email tell you your time for the exam? If so, when did you receive it ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, did your email tell you your time for the exam? If so, when did you receive it ?
    Yes, it had the date and the slot I was put down for ( either am or pm).
    I received the letter, last Friday and email today...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it had the date and the slot I was put down for ( either am or pm).
    I received the letter, last Friday and email today...
    Oh okay, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks.
    Pleasure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Not quite true. Both of my names begin with "W". I'm 13. Not sure how it's done, if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, weird. All of my friends who attended had numbers accordingly to our surnames. In not too sure either then. I believe I was in the 200s

ReputationRep:
    Hello, how are the entrance exams like? Are they difficult ?
    You can see some examples of entrance exams here:
    http://www.harriswestminstersixthfor...e-examinations
    The tests were found to be challenging by many, but don't be too worried, just revise what you have learned in the subjects you have applied for and you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathbomb)
    The tests were found to be challenging by many, but don't be too worried, just revise what you have learned in the subjects you have applied for and you should be fine.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathbomb)
    I don't really think the Maths one was very hard.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I am the school president at HWSF(head girl). If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to direct message me.
    From my experience I can assure you all it is worth the stress of the interviews and entrance examinations. The school is unique and challenging with a strong social community.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't hurt to revise a bit but revise more on exam technique and how to explain and analyse your answers as for the sciences you will probably be given all the info you need. For maths just revise high level GCSE maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.