Who's going to win the Balon D'or? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Full voting results: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/documen...14_neutral.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Absolutely pathetic.

First the Goal of the Year award goes to Rodriguez despite the fact that his goal wasn't anywhere near as impressive technically. The only reason he'll have won it is because he scored his goal on a bigger stage, but for this award that is meant to be irrelevant and it's meant to be decided purely on the goal itself and not the context surrounding it.

Then the Ballon D'or doesn't go to Neuer, the player who out the three had the biggest impact for both his club and his country over the last year and instead goes to pretty boy Ronaldo once again.

Pathetic.
    So i guess you wanted to see that middle aged women win, even though she scored her goal in a semi pro match against a bunch of teen girls in a youth team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
    So i guess you wanted to see that middle aged women win, even though she scored her goal in a semi pro match against a bunch of teen girls in a youth team.
    The goal of the year award is meant to be for the best goal. Not the most important goal, not the goal that resulted in the best win, simply the best goal.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things it wasn't exactly important, it was scored against a team that damn near nobody follows in a league that nobody cares about, whereas Rodriguez' goal played a big part in taking his nation through to the World Cup Quarter-Final, but for this award the context of the goal should be irrelevant. If it wasn't then you could have a situation where the World Cup was won 1-0 with the only goal coming from a tap in after a corner melee but because of the context that would be the goal of the year.

So ignoring the context of the goal entirely, which is what you should do for this award, her goal was more technically impressive. If you consider the relative skill levels of the players then it was even more impressive, given that Rodriguez' was a world class goal scored by a world class player, while hers was a world class goal scored by a Semi-Professional female player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
    Oh yeah and she's 25 years old. Since when has 25 been middle aged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Oh yeah and she's 25 years old. Since when has 25 been middle aged?
    she looks like a ****
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The result does not surprise me. Ronaldo was awesome, if we don't consider the world cup. I am just a little bit upset that Messi was placed as 2nd. From the three players which were in the shortlist, he was the worst one in my opinion.

I don't know why national team coaches and captains and journalists saw that different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    It should have gone:

D'or- Neuer (But Ronaldo does deserve it tbf)
    Puskas- The woman, Stephanie Roche I think (Can't remember her name)
    Coach of the year- Simeone (Low was arguably least deserving of all if anything)

Meh same old same old, really don't know why everyone's surprised.
    I would have had Ronaldo first for the Balon D'or but the other two agree fully.

ReputationRep:
    I loved how thrilled Thierry Henry was to give the award to the humble, selfless, modest Ronaldo.

(Original post by Kallisto)
    I am just a little bit upset that Messi was placed as 2nd. From the three players which were in the shortlist, he was the worst one in my opinion.

I don't know why national team coaches and captains and journalists saw that different.
    They didn't really, there was like 0.04% between Messi and Neuer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Should be the last time Ronaldo wins the Ballon D'Or given his age really.

ReputationRep:
    He could easily win another two, interesting thing will be predicting who'll win it after Messi/Ronaldo.

Realistically, given their progress as players over the last 12-24 months and the rate they're still going, as well as importance to the team their at and age, I'd say right now it's between Neymar, Hazard and Pogba. Think Bale has a chance as well tbf, reckon 2016/17 season that'll be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    I loved how thrilled Thierry Henry was to give the award to the humble, selfless, modest Ronaldo.(...)
    Could it be that I have heard a breeze of irony in your statement by any chance?

(...)They didn't really, there was like 0.04% between Messi and Neuer.
    Right, but there were better players than Messi in the last season who would have it desired to be in top 3 instead of him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    He could easily win another two, interesting thing will be predicting who'll win it after Messi/Ronaldo.

Realistically, given their progress as players over the last 12-24 months and the rate they're still going, as well as importance to the team their at and age, I'd say right now it's between Neymar, Hazard and Pogba. Think Bale has a chance as well tbf, reckon 2016/17 season that'll be.
    Fancy Messi to bounce back strongly and win it back next year.

Don't think Hazard will ever win it tbh. Neymar has the ability to gain a couple, though.

ReputationRep:
    Right, but there were better players than Messi in the last season who would have it desired to be in top 3 instead of him.
    Who? Out of curiosity?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    I would have had Ronaldo first for the Balon D'or but the other two agree fully.
    Yeah I don't mind that Ronaldo won it, fully deserved. However, I noticed there was a guy after the awards that said Neuer didn't deserve it simply because "being a Goalkeeper isn't as hard as being a centre forward" I thought that was a bit harsh, I'm not exactly disagreeing but goalkeepers do have their fair share of work...it always depends on the opposition.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Yeah I don't mind that Ronaldo won it, fully deserved. However, I noticed there was a guy after the awards that said Neuer didn't deserve it simply because "being a Goalkeeper isn't as hard as being a centre forward" I thought that was a bit harsh, I'm not exactly disagreeing but goalkeepers do have their fair share of work...it always depends on the opposition.
    Goalkeepers do have their fair share of work, agreed, but the thing I focus on most is the fact that the Ballon D'or is for the best footballer.

So, by definition, Ronaldo/Messi are more deserving than Neuer. He simply isn't as talented at football. A wonderful goalkeeper, admittedly, and certainly the best in the world. But the best footballer? No chance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zander01)
    Who? Out of curiosity?
    Robben and Gareth Bale in my opinion. They were better.

Thank you! that is very kind of you.

Oh my god! so many five points votes for Ronaldo. No wonder that he has won so clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Fancy Messi to bounce back strongly and win it back next year.

Don't think Hazard will ever win it tbh. Neymar has the ability to gain a couple, though.
    It is quite political tbh, can't remember the last time someone who wasn't at either Real/Barca or United won it. Cannavaro was at Real when he won it, Kaka/Shevchenko at AC Milan. Nedved probably the last player to win it when not at the biggest team in that country over a decade ago.

I think Hazard will win it tbh, but he'll probably be at Real when he does, can't see him staying at Chelsea for any more than 5 more years as much as I'd love him too. This season especially he's been Messi-esque with the way he gets past defenders with such close control, and can go from standing still to full speed in the blink of an eye, although I watch him every week so more likely to pick up on that than fans of other clubs.

Would be good for Britain for Bale to win tbh, we could pretend he's one of our own rather than Welsh like we do with Andy Murray and Scotland.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    It is quite political tbh, can't remember the last time someone who wasn't at either Real/Barca or United won it. Cannavaro was at Real when he won it, Kaka/Shevchenko at AC Milan. Nedved probably the last player to win it when not at the biggest team in that country over a decade ago.
    Kaka and Sheva at Milan, Nedved at Juventus, Owen at Liverpool.

You have to go back to Sammer at Dortmund in 96 to get a real leftfield choice.

ReputationRep:
    Goalkeepers do have their fair share of work, agreed, but the thing I focus on most is the fact that the Ballon D'or is for the best footballer.

So, by definition, Ronaldo/Messi are more deserving than Neuer. He simply isn't as talented at football. A wonderful goalkeeper, admittedly, and certainly the best in the world. But the best footballer? No chance.
    Yeah because goalkeeping isn't part of football is it?

Robben and Gareth Bale in my opinion. They were better.

Thank you! that is very kind of you.

Oh my god! so many five points votes for Ronaldo. No wonder that he has won so clearly.
    Bale :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter

Ah good viewpoint. I never saw it from that perspective but it does beg the question for me, why include goalkeepers in it at all? There should be a separate award for them. Also, I'm not quite sure but aren't passed D'or winners mostly in the CF position? Goalkeepers are still a part of football in its entity, I think its about time one got recognition with the highest individual footballing honour.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 14, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.