The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dexa
You sound like someone who has an irrational hate for religious people even if the vast majority are peaceful law abiding citizens. You form your biased judgement on the action of a minority, brainwashed by what you see on TV and the internet.

People like you make me sick.

What are you on about? :s-smilie:

So I draw a cartoon of Mo and this is sooo disrespectful. But people are allowed to think I deserve to burn in hell over not believing in God and this is okay? People are allowed to be homophobic? (please tell me homophobia does not happen)

How was I saying that every religious person is not a law abiding citizen? Did you even read what I wrote? I was a Muslim up to the age of 16, I've lived in Muslim communities my whole life, I don't get my information from the media.

Reply 121
Original post by PopaPork
Why should I have to compromise my cultural history for a group of people who want to move to this country?

I didn't ask for them to move here nor did I ever vote for a party that stated this would be a result of immigration.

I am proud of our cultural history and I would like people who choose to move here to show this some respect.

Don't be a hypocrite. The British looted and colonised many countries across the globe. Do you think the people of those countries had a choice in that. Their history changed massively during the British empire. And now that immigrants are moving here you think it's acceptable to say people should compromise their cultural history. What an ignorant attitude.
Original post by Wahid-r
What are you on about? :s-smilie:

So I draw a cartoon of Mo and this is sooo disrespectful. But people are allowed to think I deserve to burn in hell over not believing in God and this is okay? People are allowed to be homophobic? (please tell me homophobia does not happen)

How was I saying that every religious person is not a law abiding citizen? Did you even read what I wrote? I was a Muslim up to the age of 16, I've lived in Muslim communities my whole life, I don't get my information from the media.

So you'll now happily disrespect your family's culture and beliefs? How do they feel about it?
Reply 123
Ironically the paper was slowly dying with decreasing circulation, but the attack will probably give it a second life.
Original post by Dexa
Don't be a hypocrite. The British looted and colonised many countries across the globe. Do you think the people of those countries had a choice in that. Their history changed massively during the British empire. And now that immigrants are moving here you think it's acceptable to say people should compromise their cultural history. What an ignorant attitude.

how do you manage to compare nations voluntarily accepting mass migration of millions into their homelands to a vastly advanced world power going around the world developing other countries and having very small numbers of their people migrate to most of those other countries?
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
So you'll now happily disrespect your family's culture and beliefs? How do they feel about it?

Yes I will. As they would be quite happy to disrespect mine.

They aren't aware of it. I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy about it.
Original post by Wahid-r
Yes I will. As they would be quite happy to disrespect mine.

They aren't aware of it. I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy about it.

Guess you still live with them? What made you leave the religion?
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
Guess you still live with them? What made you leave the religion?

Yes I do.

Check my sig for my blog. There's a brief post on it. If you have questions, ask them on the ex-Muslim society. It's off topic on this thread.
Original post by Wahid-r
Yes I do.

Check my sig for my blog. There's a brief post on it. If you have questions, ask them on the ex-Muslim society. It's off topic on this thread.

Cool, I'll check it out.
Original post by Dexa

Ah so I need to be ashamed of my country as this will allow immigrants to feel at home here, that or just because of the past I should simply accept being colonized :rolleyes:

Yes I'm saying if you choose to move to a country you have already decided to compromise your cultural history as you've left the culture you are from

But as I said where is the compromise from those moving here as I see none just demands for the host to change to suit them

Well sorry it's not going to happen

But you're rambling now and losing the plot just a little

Ahh I get it now

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3063409

'Why is british culture so awful compared to the rest of europe? '

If you don't like it you are free to leave
(edited 9 years ago)

This is very good and I would recommend everyone to change their avatar to this
Jai deteste Charlie. Loner, sad, Athiest who gets a thrill by drawing cartoons.
Great piece in the Guardian by Martin Rowson today.
I didn't know Charlie Hebdo depicted Black Minister of Justice Christiane Taubira as a monkey!

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 134
Original post by Lost Cloud
I didn't know Charlie Hebdo depicted Black Minister of Justice Christiane Taubira as a monkey!

Spoiler

It's because a racist far-right paper (Minute) said Taubira was a monkey. There is also a pun with the name of Le Pen's party in the last elections (Rassemblement Bleu Marine).
(edited 9 years ago)
This quote from that link says it all

"I will not celebrate the privilege of “free speech” to be a disguise for hate"

In other words, "I don't believe in freedom of speech at all, as I think it is a privilege rather than a right, and that there should be limits to it (like when someone uses free speech to say something I disagree with)".

What kind of cretin thinks that free speech is a "privilege"?

EDIT: Just looked through the thread and I'm really surprised no one else has picked up on this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
It's because a racist far-right paper (Minute) said Taubira was a monkey. There is also a pun with the name of Le Pen's party in the last elections (Rassemblement Bleu Marine).

Thanks for the context.

It seems an odd way to respond to racism. A paper calls a black woman a monkey and Charlie Hebdo decided to provide some visual illustration.

Do you know the background for this cover? I've been told it translates to: "The pope at Paris: the French are as idiotic as the *******".

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 137

Lol hater defaming attempt fail :lol: get satire much?
Reply 138

Thanks for the context.

It seems an odd way to respond to racism. A paper calls a black woman a monkey and Charlie Hebdo decided to provide some visual illustration.

Do you know the background for this cover? I've been told it translates to: "The pope at Paris: the French are as idiotic as the *******".

Spoiler

It's because Africans welcomed missionaries as liberators during colonisation. When the Pope came in Paris was a large crowd which came to see him. Catholics are therefore shown as slaves. The word "*******" was used because many of these Catholics are also far-right racists.
The paper is full of double-entendre and provocative puns. I say again that it is strongly anarchist/marxist, in the tradition of many other similar papers since the 19th century (such as l'Assiette au Beurre).

These are from ~1900.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's like saying that a woman wearing a short skirt is to blame for being raped.

Given that the link is from tumblr, that's a bit hypocritical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending