Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Things which make you very angry while driving watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwabwa)
    People who overtake in the left lane (which is illegal) even though you're going the speed limit 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If someone is undertaking you, that means you're in the wrong lane

ReputationRep:
    I don't get angry very often. I can tolerate mistakes and don't get bother by near misses from other drivers.
    BUT

1. Cyclists!
    2. People who STAY in the "Overtake" / "Fast Lane" of a Motorway, preventing anyone from getting past them, especially when I have to undertake them to get past! Middle lane I don't mind so much, laziness takes us all sometimes, but the "Overtake" lane SHOULD NOT be violated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Couldxbe)
    All the cyclist haters, I'm responding both as a car driver

4. Going through red lights is a hard one. Say if I'm at a junction, and it's clear, and there's a queue behind me. I may jump it, mostly because I don't want to hold up the people behind me. I very rarely do this and only when it's safe.

For someone who claims to be a driver then you should release that you're breaking then law then.

Rule 69 and 71 of the highway code states that :-
    69:- You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals 9 Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGB reg 10(1)
    71:- You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advance stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic (see Rule 178). Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGB reg 10 &36(1)

ReputationRep:
    Do you lot think it's worth taking up driving?
    I haven't started yet, but can imagine getting a great deal of road rage from the stupidity of people on the road. Feel like it'd just be un-necessary stress every day. Guess it depends on finance and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    Do you lot think it's worth taking up driving?
    I haven't started yet, but can imagine getting a great deal of road rage from the stupidity of people on the road. Feel like it'd just be un-necessary stress every day. Guess it depends on finance and stuff.
    I don't like driving much but it's pretty much a necessity where I live and I would be severely limiting my career prospects if I couldn't.

I wouldn't mind getting the train to my current job but we don't have any stations in this part of the country and I would have to leave my house at midnight to get there by bus for a 9 o'clock start. A taxi would probably cost as much as I earn a day so wouldn't be worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Annoying things on the road?

1. People in the middle lane on the motorway doing considerably less than 70, or worse being overtaken on the outside lane
    2. Lorries 'overtaking' on motorways (they've all got speed limiters!)
    3. Cars who assume that cutting in front of you is alright (they're not some sort of royalty that gets priority)
    4. People drifting between lanes because they can't make their mind up where they're meant to be
    5. People a little too preoccupied at lights, so they sit there when they turn green...

I could go on...

Oh wait, cyclists. How could I forget those, cutting you up and thinking they've got priority on the road, whilst also freely going through red lights as if they don't apply to them (especially annoying if you're a pedestrian!)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Did I mention that when I go through red lights I dismount, and walk, as a pedestrian? Not breaking the law actually.

People need to chill out.

I think you guys must annoy other drivers too. Perhaps your impatience will cause an accident one day.

ReputationRep:
    Did I mention that when I go through red lights I dismount, and walk, as a pedestrian? Not breaking the law actually.

I think you guys must annoy other drivers too. Perhaps your impatience will cause an accident one day.
    I hope you mount the pavement then as to walk on the road you walk opposite to the flow of traffic.

Honestly though when I see a cyclist run a red light I just worry more for their safety, the few times I've seen a cyclist run a red its been when traffic was (potentially as that would be the direction of the traffic if anything came through) coming from the right so the cyclist could easily get knocked off and killed. I'm not sure about others but I don't ever want to have to give police a statement about a cyclist running a red and possibly getting knocked off and killed. Wouldn't be a pleasant experience for any party involved.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Robbo-92)
    I hope you mount the pavement then as to walk on the road you walk opposite to the flow of traffic.

Honestly though when I see a cyclist run a red light I just worry more for their safety, the few times I've seen a cyclist run a red its been when traffic was (potentially as that would be the direction of the traffic if anything came through) coming from the right so the cyclist could easily get knocked off and killed. I'm not sure about others but I don't ever want to have to give police a statement about a cyclist running a red and possibly getting knocked off and killed. Wouldn't be a pleasant experience for any party involved.
    Dunno, clearly those cyclists aren't very very safe. I just think that anything a cyclist does will annoy some people. For example, running a red. But conversely, holding you up at a traffic lights because you have to overtake.

Some people are anti-cyclist, and that's more of an issue of the UK road and test system. I work with a few Dutch people and cycling is such a way of life there. They're shocked at the attitude of most motorists here.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, clearly those cyclists aren't very very safe. I just think that anything a cyclist does will annoy some people. For example, running a red. But conversely, holding you up at a traffic lights because you have to overtake.

Some people are anti-cyclist, and that's more of an issue of the UK road and test system. I work with a few Dutch people and cycling is such a way of life there. They're shocked at the attitude of most motorists here.
    I'd put it more down to Jeremy Clarkson and lack of experience about how vulnerable they are outside a big insulated metal box than much else, although lack of knowledge about a cyclists rights is very common too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liquid funk)
    She does really stupid stuff like setting off in 2nd
    Depending on the car, it can be perfectly fine to pull away in second. My car will happily pull in sixth gear from still.

I suffer from quite bad road rage recently as I'm doing 110 miles a day to/from work. But I cannot stand people (mainly middle aged people) that stop about 3 car lengths behind the car in front of them at lights...then for the next 15 seconds creep forward. Just ****ing stop behind them in the first place. Also people that try to merge on a motorway at 35-40 meaning I'm stuck behind them at the same speed trying to merge until I can get past them and boot the arse out of my car.

My biggest pet hate is Mrs. 40 mph though, in her "tiny car that she thinks is the size of a tank." 20 zone at a school? 40 mph. 60 road? 40mph. NSL motorway? 40 mph.

ReputationRep:

Isn't it in Holland where they have exclusive cycle paths though where cyclists are separated from road users and pedestrians alike? That's a much better system that the few rubbish cycle lanes we have in cities and towns over the UK.

The one thing that really does get on my nerves about cyclists (even though I do get slightly annoyed if I'm stuck behind one for a while) is when you come upon a small (4 or 5) group of cyclists cycling 4 or 5 wide effectively causing a rolling roadblock if there is constant traffic on the other side of the road, cyclists are allowed to travel two abreast at most. It's more when cyclists break the rules of the road (which they should stick to if they use the road) that they start to annoy me. Such as running red and spreading out across a full lane and not going into single or double file.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo-92)
    The one thing that really does get on my nerves about cyclists (even though I do get slightly annoyed if I'm stuck behind one for a while) is when you come upon a small (4 or 5) group of cyclists cycling 4 or 5 wide effectively causing a rolling roadblock if there is constant traffic on the other side of the road, cyclists are allowed to travel two abreast at most. It's more when cyclists break the rules of the road (which they should stick to if they use the road) that they start to annoy me. Such as running red and spreading out across a full lane and not going into single or double file.
    This happens a fair bit around my work as a lot of people cycle to work; as it's an industrial estate, there's a lot of businesses. The roads out of it are all 50's and if there are cyclists not in single file and this means I can't get passed, I'll quite happily sit on my horn for a good 20 seconds until they get the hint.

Seen a few people take it further and effectively tail gate the cyclists while horning. Stupidly dangerous though, just because they're being a plonker doesn't mean you should endanger them.

ReputationRep:
    When you are driving and someone cuts you up or when you are on the motorway and a car fills the gap you left especially when it is dangerous.

I definitely think getting a licence is too easy and for the illegal drivers enough isnt being done but yet still I and others I know have to pay the premium for the ***** that are on our roads. #NotRight

ReputationRep:
    What gets me is people hogging the fast lane of motorways/ dual carriageways and do considerably less than the speed limit

When you are a mile from your junction and move into lane 1 ready to come off and some half wit comes flying across 2 lanes cutting across the chevrons and cutting me up because they cant plan ahead.

People who drive like they found their driving licence in a cereal box

Rant over

ReputationRep:

Well good for you then. Unfortunately, I come across more cyclists with an attitude of 'the road is mine', rather thinking about others on the road.

Finding some things on the road annoying doesn't mean I'm an impatient driver, who will 'cause an accident'...that's a bit excessive to say. If somebody cuts in front of me, I'm not going to drive right up their rear like an arse, I'll just back off to keep my distance.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean if I get out and push my car through a red light I'm not breaking the law? :P

ReputationRep:
    Angry drivers

What's the point of getting angry?

ReputationRep:
    Tell you what makes me angry when driving.

Other cars being on the road.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Coppers being in my vicinity so I have to start driving like I'm taking my test again.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.