Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm also looking at doing computer science in 2016 and was at the open day, 10:50 talk. Magnus (excuse my spelling) seemed really nice and knowledgeable, and the facilities, from what I've seen, seem reasonably good. Maybe I'll be seeing a few of you next year then!

(Original post by Mattematics)
    After the talk we got taken on a mini tour thing. We went upstairs and there was a pretty modern feeling working area. Then we went over a bridge thing into what I think was a newer building that's shared with engineering (there was a race car hanging from the roof lol). It all seemed pretty modern to me. Then again I haven't been to any other open days yet so I have nothing to compare it to
    I didn't manage to go on the tour since I had another talk booked, but I did have a chat with the students running and I asked them (rather cheekily) if they knew anything about the department being underfunded given all the rumours. They said they hadn't heard anything about it. Another positive!

ReputationRep:
    Course: Law
    GCSEs: 2A*, 5A, 2B and 1C
    A Levels: Geography, Law, Business Studies and Maths
    Predicted (at AS): AAAB
    Already got Polish A Level at grade B

I'll be taking part in the Sutton Trust Summer School which gets me a guaranteed standard offer (A*AA)

ReputationRep:
    ... A little late to the party, but better late than never?
    (I)GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As, 1B
    A Levels: Physics, Chem, Maths, Further Maths
    Course: Physics/Physics with Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Hey I know this is probably a long shot but is anyone doing the week long Durham summer school to lower a conditional offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I am!

I'm pretty sure we don't get lower offers, just a guaranteed standard offer! Which for my course (which has a 33%) acceptance rate is pretty incredible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    everyone here at private school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    everyone here at private school?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Chemistry

GCSE: 4A* 8A

AS: Chemistry, Maths, Biology, English Literature and the Cambridge Pre-U in global perspectives (similar to EPQ but 2 years (although Durham doesn't care for it))

Predicted: AAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which college is everyone applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Castle/university college if I can even apply there after results...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hatfield!

ReputationRep:
    If results are good then St Johns I love their college and I've been contacting them and they seem like lovely people.
    Hbu? (We all know deep down everyone wants university college)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afern)
    Hatfield!
    Hatfield is my second favourite

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna apply for Collingwood if I get an offer; I loved the vibe and the 2nd year students I spoke to seemed really nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jill800)
    Hatfield is my second favourite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was stuck between Hatfield and a few others, but when I went to visit last summer it just stood out to me (plus it's right across from the history department which is perfect for me!) St Hild and St Bede is probably my second favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afern)
    I was stuck between Hatfield and a few others, but when I went to visit last summer it just stood out to me (plus it's right across from the history department which is perfect for me!) St Hild and St Bede is probably my second favourite.
    Ah I haven't been to an open day yet for durham, waiting for September because then I have my results and yeah it's on the bailey isn't it which is great also for English and that looks like a pretty traditional college too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah I haven't been to an open day yet for durham, waiting for September because then I have my results and yeah it's on the bailey isn't it which is great also for English and that looks like a pretty traditional college too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish I could go to a proper open day but I live overseas which is a bummer. Yeah it's on the Bailey, it's like right by Castle Green so it's in a really good location. From what I've read it's pretty traditional but a bit less traditional than Castle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afern)
    Hatfield!
    Same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    If results are good then St Johns I love their college and I've been contacting them and they seem like lovely people.
    Hbu? (We all know deep down everyone wants university college)
    I love Hatfield, loads of people I know have gone there - just seems so nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afern)
    I wish I could go to a proper open day but I live overseas which is a bummer. Yeah it's on the Bailey, it's like right by Castle Green so it's in a really good location. From what I've read it's pretty traditional but a bit less traditional than Castle.
    Oh right :/ but you should be able to book for your own sessions where you drop in for a day if you wanted to visit before applying. Yeah I love the traditional sense and look so places like Castle really appeal to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh right :/ but you should be able to book for your own sessions where you drop in for a day if you wanted to visit before applying. Yeah I love the traditional sense and look so places like Castle really appeal to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I went up there for a couple of days with my mum last summer and so we got a decent feel for Durham then Castle seems really nice, I just wanted to go for a slightly less over-prescribed one.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.