Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £100k a year really that much of a salary nowadays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewif002)
    However, if you're in London with 3 children, you'll be a lot more up against it.
    Assuming you're a single earner household.

ReputationRep:
    100k is so much money I can get addicted to cocaine and actually not have to give dodgy men BJ's for my next fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I thought there were quite a lot of doctors that don't live in London. Most people in oil are out of London, its hardly like even finance, law or the media are confided to London either. Let alone headteachers and architects.

No, but you can get a three bed semi for £320k in Woking, which wouldn't even stretch the budget of someone on £75k let alone £100k.
    There are quite a lot of doctors, as well as regional law firms and some finance jobs. However, doctors aside, these are regional jobs and usually command much less pay. Also, FYI BP and Shell have their head offices in London. Architects do not earn £100k unless you are a partner in the practice or very senior (unfortunately they are greatly undervalued profession and not everyone commands the fees of Lord Foster). Only doctors in the upper echelons of their profession and GPs who run their own practice will earn £100k+ as well.

This is besides the point anyway. The majority of high paying jobs will be in or close to London.

ReputationRep:
    No but you forever get the Daily Mail complaining about the number of civil servants earning over £100k.....in London that barely gets you a garage! How can you get a world class civil service if you don't pay for qualified people....?

ReputationRep:
    I would **** my ****ing pants for 100K a year. Getting half of that in today's money would feel like punching above my weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FVP)
    There are quite a lot of doctors, as well as regional law firms and some finance jobs. However, doctors aside, these are regional jobs and usually command much less pay. Also, FYI BP and Shell have their head offices in London. Architects do not earn £100k unless you are a partner in the practice or very senior (unfortunately they are greatly undervalued profession and not everyone commands the fees of Lord Foster). Only doctors in the upper echelons of their profession and GPs who run their own practice will earn £100k+ as well.

This is besides the point anyway. The majority of high paying jobs will be in or close to London.
    Could you link me to a source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    http://www.cityam.com/206242/where-c...-other-part-uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    No but you forever get the Daily Mail complaining about the number of civil servants earning over £100k.....in London that barely gets you a garage! How can you get a world class civil service if you don't pay for qualified people....?
    Offer more Civil Service positions at the higher grades outside of London? If Oxford and Cambridge can attract world class economists I don't see why HMT couldn't. Since the TfL look after transport in London, why on earth DfT has such a large presence there is difficult to fathom - after all First Group has its HQ in Aberdeen (not a cheap place, but that wasn't quite the point).

Its off the table given the deficit anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It found that London came top with average annual earnings of £41,000, but more surprisingly Scottish city Aberdeen came in second with £38,036, not too far off London. Edinburgh also came high at £35,784, and the researchers put this down to Scotland’s strong financial services sector.

Thanks for helping my point.

If other majority cities have average salaries 10%,20%, 30% lower than that of London, I'd be surprised if 50% (let alone 90%) of those earning £100k are in London since it makes up such a small share the the UK population.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your career/role

To me that's a lot of money. To my partner, it's nothing lol

We have v different careers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    http://www.jobisjob.co.uk/100k/jobs#...&salary=100000

Look at the locations on the side. The overwhelming majority are in London and big corporates (banks, energy companies, accountancy firms) don't advertise on websites like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    It found that London came top with average annual earnings of £41,000, but more surprisingly Scottish city Aberdeen came in second with £38,036, not too far off London. Edinburgh also came high at £35,784, and the researchers put this down to Scotland’s strong financial services sector.

If other majority cities have average salaries 10%,20%, 30% lower than that of London, I'd be surprised if 50% (let alone 90%) of those earning £100k are in London since it makes up such a small share the the UK population.
    Aberdeen has a population of 200,000 and London has a population of over 8,000,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    It doesn't look to me like the area of London's circle is bigger than the area of the other circles combined... Looks to be in a 40:60 ratio of London:not-London

No?
    Instead of looking at the pretty circles why don't you look at the numbers. I'll put them here for your convenience:
    Top locations hiring now 100k Jobs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Well done for attempting to warp statistics. You're capable of reading, so at this point the conclusion is that you're deliberately attempting to be deceptive.

- There are also many more jobs available in inner London than in other parts of the country – there are 1,946,000, which is over twice as many as the West Midands, which has the third highest number after inner and outer London
    - But this average may have been dragged up by a small number of workers earning exceptionally high salaries. The ONS results, however, use a median average, mitigating this effect. Even using a median, it is clear that people working in London earn more than elsewhere across the spectrum.
    - In the map above, you can see that the areas with the highest median gross earnings – those in red and those in orange – are mostly located inside London and its surrounding counties. There are a few places scattered in the Midlands and Scotland where average earnings are also high, but in general the further you move outside London, the lower the wages become. Most places in Wales, the north and the south-west, for example, have median salaries of less than 18,000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    Factors:

1) Are you living in London or equally expensive cities (ie Paris, Singapore, Rome etc)
    2) How many children do you have? Do you want them to study in the top boarding/international schools?
    3) Are you renting or have you bought a house? Are you paying mortgage?
    4) How often do you and your family want to go on vacation and have a new car?
    5) Is the 100k your only source of income?

In Hong Kong, it's decently enough for a comfortable apartment, 2-3 vacations each year and send two children to an international school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Offer more Civil Service positions at the higher grades outside of London? If Oxford and Cambridge can attract world class economists I don't see why HMT couldn't.
    Oxbridge can attract world class economists on salaries of £60k because they supplement their academic work with economic consultancy which pays well. Would the Civil Service allow its senior economists to take private sector consultancy contracts to supplement their pay....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vital-phenomena)
    In Hong Kong, it's decently enough for a comfortable apartment, 2-3 vacations each year and send two children to an international school.
    Taxation in Hong Kong is minimal compared to the taxation in most Western European countries. 100k will go a lot further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Taxation in Hong Kong is minimal compared to the taxation in most Western European countries. 100k will go a lot further.
    Whoa, I tried the salary tax calculators online and found that my father would pay almost thrice as much tax in the UK. That's a 38k difference

ReputationRep:
    its a lot ok

EDIT: Glass half full and all that

ReputationRep:
    I wish i got paid that much.
    I dont earn anywhere nearly as much as that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.