Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    so does a lot of things in life?

other legal drugs can negatively affect others, e.g. alcohol

or jobs such as going into the Army

lots of things can be 'negatively' but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be illegal, it's about being careful
    We need military personnel for obvious reasons.

I think marijuana and a bunch of other drugs not even as bad as alcohol should be legal, albeit heavily taxed to compensate for the negative externalities. Hard drugs worse than alcohol though? They should definitely remain illegal.

ReputationRep:
    A line of people is trying to get through a doorway with two doors and choose to wait to go through only one of the doors...instead of just opening the other one and walk through...

People seem terrified of this but when I take the initiative and open the door then they'll keep it open and use it.

ReputationRep:
    Potential to face prosecution as a result of defending yourself wtf

Getting fined for exceeding an arbitrary, silly, pointless speed limit wtf

Women wearing makeup wtf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Besides the point

Spoiler:
    Show
    Phrased it the way I did quite deliberately :yeah:

Yet you do now, let me guess, purely for reasons of personal hygiene, as an empowered feminist :rolleyes: :rofl:
    I go through phases *shrug*

Actually it was spending a lot of time in bikini that did it.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you shouldn't be so ignorant on the topic
    Oh. Please explain.

ReputationRep:
    ...but for some of them I think they should be legal, the obvious one being weed (which I don't actually smoke)
    So you want weed to be made legal even though you don't smoke it?

ReputationRep:
    You should be up by a certain time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Its totally nuts!! I live in Manchester, so whenever I'm coming home late from college I have to pass the student bars and the university street, and all we get is drunks, druggies etc. in the central square in manchester a group of drugged up drunk people hang about shooting needles NEXT TO a childrens park sometimes, but the police are great at taking them away.
    Whats classed as the central square in Manchester? I'd say Piccadilly but thats not excatly near student bars, the universitys or colleges and I seriously doubt anyone shoots up there.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Men can't wear skirts or dresses.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jimbles)
    The cinema alone one annoys me. I work weird shift times and when I feel stressed, I head to the cinema alone, get a drink and a popcorn, and for 2/3 hours I'm just relaxed. Nothing to worry about except enjoying the film. It's really therapeutic to go to the cinema alone I find!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actuallu find it easier to go alone tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    So you want weed to be made legal even though you don't smoke it?
    I want weed and many other drugs such as LSD, khat and so on to be legal even though I don't consume any drugs recreationally - tobacco, nicotine, alcohol or caffeine.

We went through this briefly before though
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Illegal Algebra)

Getting fined for exceeding an arbitrary, silly, pointless speed limit wtf
    They are there for a reason. I know someone who speeds and I have no sympathy for him. I actually wonder how the hell he got a licence in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Of course it is and of course it should be since your taking drugs can negatively affect others.
    Do you know how many things negatively affect others that aren't illegal? Honestly, why are drugs different? I don't do them I haven't even smoked weed more than a few times, so it's not like i really need this. It's the principle that matters. And with drugs it's even worse- scientists have said they should be legalized there are examples like Portugal that show it's actually better to do it. And yet no government does it because voters are biased. And no don't say that is democracy because it's bs. I should be able to do whatever the **** I want as long as that doesn't involve hurting others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    They are there for a reason. I know someone who speeds and I have no sympathy for him. I actually wonder how the hell he got a licence in the first place.
    Read my above post, I am against drugs being illegal but for speed limits because the latter actually hurts others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Post a few that are either pointless, or just plain stupid. Go.
    Speed limits.

Not being allowed to punch horrible people.

Im not allowed to take reasonable risks at work, even if I am the only one that could possibly be at risk. This is totally gay.

Im not allowed to refer to bad things as "being gay".

Daytime TV contains no proper nudity. (im a very horny person)

Not really a rule but most cars on the roads are not Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Koenigseggs, Bugattis, Caparos or Ariel Atoms (I.E they are all crap!).

Taking drugs as a recreational activity is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Do you know how many things negatively affect others that aren't illegal? Honestly, why are drugs different? I don't do them I haven't even smoked weed more than a few times, so it's not like i really need this. It's the principle that matters. And with drugs it's even worse- scientists have said they should be legalized there are examples like Portugal that show it's actually better to do it. And yet no government does it because voters are biased. And no don't say that is democracy because it's bs. I should be able to do whatever the **** I want as long as that doesn't involve hurting others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is the extent to which drugs can affect others negatively that makes it such. Trivial effects are not worth taking away someone's autonomy for. Non-trivial ones though are different. Hard drugs **** you up and they hurt others directly and indirectly. You should not be able to do them.

I don't mind alcohol usage or any drug weaker than that (of which there are dozens which are currently illegal which I would legalise).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Read my above post, I am against drugs being illegal but for speed limits because the latter actually hurts others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I actuallu find it easier to go alone tbh.
    Yeah me to, to be honest. None of the whole

"what do you want to see"
    "oh i don't really want to see that"
    "I don't know what to pick"

Bleugh! I just like to pick a film I want to see, pick what I want, and not worry about someone with me who might not like the film choice lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymoùs)

Taking drugs as a recreational activity is illegal.
    It isn't. Only certain drugs are, many are legal.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jimbles)
    Yeah me to, to be honest. None of the whole

"what do you want to see"
    "oh i don't really want to see that"
    "I don't know what to pick"

Bleugh! I just like to pick a film I want to see, pick what I want, and not worry about someone with me who might not like the film choice lol
    I only ask someone if they want to go if I know they want to see a certain film with me. My film choices are a bit, shall we say, odd. Because I sometimes want to stop for food after, it means I can do that.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.