The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Postgraduate Applicants/Offer Holders 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natcagLLB
Ah no. I've applied to the MA Medical Law and Ethics programme. What about you?

MSc China and Globalization at China Lau Institute. I am not sure, maybe Global Institutes are just slow at Kings
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Just got my offer! What a relief.

Congratulations! :-)
Hi guys! I got a reply for an interview. I am international student so the interview was conducted via skype. Can i know if you guys had to go through an interview as well?

I am also required to send in a sample essay.

Congratulations!
Original post by YulianaRus
Congratulations! :-)

Original post by belightandlove
Congratulations!

Thank you! What are people thinking for accommodation? I've been taking a look at halls, but I'm really not sure.
Reply 126
Thank you! What are people thinking for accommodation? I've been taking a look at halls, but I'm really not sure.

Hey! Well done :smile: I guess I'll be seeing you in September! I am totally clueless with regards to accommodation. :/
Reply 127
Hey i recieved an offer for the MSc Neuroscience last week. Anyone else got an offer for this course.

Original post by santi_92

Currently doing MSc Neuroscience. Happy to answer any questions I can :smile:

I was just wandering if you could give me any information on A) class sizes and how busy the timetable is, and B) do you know any Psychology grads on your course, im currently studying psychology now and whilst im confident in my ability i was wandering how much of a shock to the system some of the pure bio stuff is?

Thanks

Original post by B*Witched
Hey! Well done :smile: I guess I'll be seeing you in September! I am totally clueless with regards to accommodation. :/

The bottom line is, wherever you stay in London it will be expensive. London is an expensive city to live in. There are definitely pros and cons to staying in halls or renting privately. An advantage to halls is being within walking distance to the campus and also having all bills included. However, halls can be quite pricey especially for ensuite rooms. Also most masters courses run for 12 months as opposed to 9, so when looking at the yearly fee for halls, take into consideration that those fees may be for 9 months. A reason often cited for staying in halls is that it facilitates the process of making friends. In reality postgrad is different from undergrad. You're exposed to several other postgrad students (to be fair King's postgrad community is brilliant). It's extremely easy to make friends with your coursemates, there's not a single person on my course that I don't get along with and it's a big course for postgrad (c. 100 students). And you'll probably find that most of them are renting privately or living at home, as I'm doing, if they're from London. It may be cheaper to rent privately but travelling in London can be expensive unless perhaps you invest in a bicycle. Might I suggest making a pros and cons list?
Original post by joste93
Hey i recieved an offer for the MSc Neuroscience last week. Anyone else got an offer for this course.

I was just wandering if you could give me any information on A) class sizes and how busy the timetable is, and B) do you know any Psychology grads on your course, im currently studying psychology now and whilst im confident in my ability i was wandering how much of a shock to the system some of the pure bio stuff is?

Thanks

I can answer all of those questions :smile:

A) This year our class size is huge, roughly 100 students. We're in 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday) and in all honesty it is hectic. There are 3 fundamental modules (A1, A2, A3), an optional module and then the research module which is the biggest of them all. The A1 module took place over a month then we had study leave followed by an exam. We also had an essay to do in that time. The A2 & A3 modules were taught simultaneously so we went through over 60 lectures in roughly 20 days I think. Not fun. Then again, exams and essays. I've just finished the lectures for my optional module and I'm on study leave for those exams then the research module starts in April. That all sounds very confusing.

Here's a link to the MSc Neuroscience homepage. I was on it a lot in preparation for the course. I hope it's helpful: http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/sites/neuroscience/?id=53

B) Yes there are quite a lot of psychology grads on the course. You'll be fine with the bio content. They were quite good at trying to get everyone up to the same level. Of course for those such as myself who did biomed or a similar degree for undergrad, we have an advantage there. But you may be interested to know that the programme leader told me that in his experience, the psychology grads tend to do the best overall. This is something that I have observed also. You've got nothing to worry about, trust me :smile:

Let me know if you've anymore questions or I haven't answered properly
The bottom line is, wherever you stay in London it will be expensive. London is an expensive city to live in. There are definitely pros and cons to staying in halls or renting privately. An advantage to halls is being within walking distance to the campus and also having all bills included. However, halls can be quite pricey especially for ensuite rooms. Also most masters courses run for 12 months as opposed to 9, so when looking at the yearly fee for halls, take into consideration that those fees may be for 9 months. A reason often cited for staying in halls is that it facilitates the process of making friends. In reality postgrad is different from undergrad. You're exposed to several other postgrad students (to be fair King's postgrad community is brilliant). It's extremely easy to make friends with your coursemates, there's not a single person on my course that I don't get along with and it's a big course for postgrad (c. 100 students). And you'll probably find that most of them are renting privately or living at home, as I'm doing, if they're from London. It may be cheaper to rent privately but travelling in London can be expensive unless perhaps you invest in a bicycle. Might I suggest making a pros and cons list?

Thanks for this. I've been weighing up the pros/cons for a while, knowing that I can only afford to live in London if I receive the Master's Support Scheme bursary. My other option will be to commute from home, which is about a 1 1/2 hour journey in total. Do many postgrads commute from outside of London?
Not a great deal. One of my course mates commutes from Kent, another one commutes from past Guildford.
Reply 132
I can answer all of those questions :smile:

A) This year our class size is huge, roughly 100 students. We're in 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday) and in all honesty it is hectic. There are 3 fundamental modules (A1, A2, A3), an optional module and then the research module which is the biggest of them all. The A1 module took place over a month then we had study leave followed by an exam. We also had an essay to do in that time. The A2 & A3 modules were taught simultaneously so we went through over 60 lectures in roughly 20 days I think. Not fun. Then again, exams and essays. I've just finished the lectures for my optional module and I'm on study leave for those exams then the research module starts in April. That all sounds very confusing.

Here's a link to the MSc Neuroscience homepage. I was on it a lot in preparation for the course. I hope it's helpful: http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/sites/neuroscience/?id=53

B) Yes there are quite a lot of psychology grads on the course. You'll be fine with the bio content. They were quite good at trying to get everyone up to the same level. Of course for those such as myself who did biomed or a similar degree for undergrad, we have an advantage there. But you may be interested to know that the programme leader told me that in his experience, the psychology grads tend to do the best overall. This is something that I have observed also. You've got nothing to worry about, trust me :smile:

Let me know if you've anymore questions or I haven't answered properly

Thanks for replying, very useful. I actually like the sound of the hectic schedule, i prefer intense work than loads of sitting around (like my undergrad). Also great to hear about the psych students,has eased my only real concern.

Thanks
Just came across this thread!

Sent in my application for the MA in English: 1850 - Present at the beginning of this month.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 134
MSc in Neuroscience offer holder here. :smile:
Reply 135
Offer for the MA in classical art and archaeology! Now to make a decision between Kings and Edinburgh. Leaning to Kings though :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys! I've just received my offer to study a Master's in Space Physiology & Health at King's this September, I'm starting to panic a bit about accommodation r.e whether to privately rent or to look into halls - has anyone got any advice regarding which might be the better option? I see that halls might often only be for a 9 month contract as opposed to the 12 months I'd need, so does anyone have any advice as to what the best way might be to go about privately renting a flat / house / apartment or possibly if they know of any reasonable accommodation nearish to Guy's Campus / Southwark?
Thanks!
Reply 137
Original post by HenryTank
Hey guys! I've just received my offer to study a Master's in Space Physiology & Health at King's this September, I'm starting to panic a bit about accommodation r.e whether to privately rent or to look into halls - has anyone got any advice regarding which might be the better option? I see that halls might often only be for a 9 month contract as opposed to the 12 months I'd need, so does anyone have any advice as to what the best way might be to go about privately renting a flat / house / apartment or possibly if they know of any reasonable accommodation nearish to Guy's Campus / Southwark?
Thanks!

I found that university accommodation will be sorted in June.

"reasonable accommodation" in central London is an oxymoron.
Just got an offer for PGCE in Biology! :-) Anyone else doing a PGCE?
Reply 139
Got an offer for a Masters in International Marketing

Quick Reply

Latest