Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vanessa409)
    I'm an ex-Christian, and when I was a Christian I felt obligated to wait until marriage because I was scared of committing such a huge sin.

Now I'm an atheist I have not waited for marriage, why would I?
    How it comes that you have changed your religion from Christian to Atheist? has it anything to do with marriage?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a male 19yrs virgin, due to religion but I also feel sex has its value and I want it to be a special moment with my future spouse, and if she a virgin then she can't compare my first time to her past lovers
    I'd like it to be an hobby with her just improving every time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Economic collapse would save the planet? Only after millions if not billions of lives are destroyed by your facile solutions. Don't you ever wonder why these solutions aren't used, if they are so simple? Because they wouldn't work. Not outside the minds of the economically illiterate. You don't seem to know what hypocrisy even is; if you did, you'd see the non-logic of what you said. You say that we should, as a species, go on a crash diet CO2-wise because it will save the planet, without considering the effect on people and the potential deaths from rioting, mass unemployment and the impossible competition for energy in a world like that. In the same sentence, you imply that doing this will stop floods, which you seem to think we should do to save lives. It will not. Why do you think the lives of people who die due to economic collapse are worth less than of those that die from flooding?

"Flood people to death." - If we ceased using motorised vehicles, flooding would not stop. Rising sea levels increase the risk of flooding in low-lying countries like the Maldives, yes, but an effort is being made to cut emissions on a global level albeit, I concede, it is not substantial enough.

"Also the funding you said is like saying we should sell tobbaco to kids to get money so we can reasearch [sic] ways to make them stop, it's stupid hypocrisy." - False comparison. In the case of CO2 emissions, we suffer from the problem of being dependent on something of which the negative effects have only been known to us in the last few decades. Restricting the use of something that the populace does not want to do without has not and will not ever work. Prohibition in the United States is an example of this. Laws are only as good as the authorities' ability to enforce them. You also seem to be oblivious to the fact that the tax paid on tobacco is not spent on trying to find "ways to make them stop." It is taxed because of the extra burden on the health service for treating that individual in the future. As for hypocrisy, you evidently don't know what it means. Hypocrisy is the act of not practicing yourself that which you preach to others. The charge that you tried to levy (I think) is that I'm trying to cure a problem by means which exacerbate it. I've already said it once: Not enough is being done to tackle global warming but your solution, in all honesty, is oversimplified bull****.

This is the last reply I'm going to make to an irrelevant point. Don't try to veer off the subject because you've unsurprisingly exhausted your (woefully paltry) supply of good arguments.

Good day, sir.
    How would you tackle the CO2 problem then? All corporations want to do is make money from it.
    And in all honestey despite your criticisms of my arguments, I do like you're nice well thought out responses and "good day sir" bit at the end btw

ReputationRep:
    Reasons I can think of:
    -breakups are harder to recover from when sex is involved
    -to avoid the risk of pregnancy
    -to make that one person special
    -might want to make sure the relationship works without sex
    -Maybe they can't find a satisfying reason as to why but they trust what their religion tells them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    How it comes that you have changed your religion ffrom Christian to Atheist? has it anything to do with marriage?
    Besides studying philosophy and finding no good argument for the existence of God, I found myself disagreeing with a lot of the Church's rules - sex and marriage being one of them. I simply couldn't understand why someone would wait until marriage to sleep or live with their partner, and at that age I had no desire to ever marry so for me that meant no sex ever. And I couldn't understand why God would want that for me.

ReputationRep:
    I would always have sex after marriage, there's a difference between making love and having sex with someone, i'd rather save myself for my husband and make it special than losing it in a one night stand and regretting it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (...) I simply couldn't understand why someone would wait until marriage to sleep or live with their partner(...)
    No one can understand that. Its too prudish for this period of time to wait for sex until marriage.

[...) And I couldn't understand why God would want that for me.
    Perhaps there are some paragraphs in the bible which forbid sex before marriage? I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    No one can understand that. Its too prudish for this period of time to wait for sex until marriage.

Perhaps there are some paragraphs in the bible which forbid sex before marriage? I have no idea.

I don't think not waiting for marriage to have sex is prudish. I just don't understand personally why someone wouldn't test drive the car before buying it!

Sex before marriage is completely forbidden in the Bible, it's a big sin.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (...)
    Sex before marriage is completely forbidden in the Bible, it's a big sin.
    I see. Any reasons why it is forbidden? why the bible is regarded sex before marriage as a big sin?

ReputationRep:
    I see. Any reasons why it is forbidden? why the bible is regarded sex before marriage as a big sin?
    God wants sex to be only between married men and women, and for the purpose of reproduction. I have no idea why God cares so much about our sex lives... Surely he's got bigger issues to deal with, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Religion and individual freedom of choice?
    --
    I don't personally want to get married, so I won't need to wait 'till marriage.

ReputationRep:
    God wants sex to be only between married men and women, and for the purpose of reproduction. I have no idea why God cares so much about our sex lives... Surely he's got bigger issues to deal with, but whatever.
    He's got a married persons voyeur fetish!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Agree. Sometimes I think that god is a philistine, a philistine which is not able to change the mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    This could easily be said the other way around: "he broke up with me because I obviously didn't think anything of him to even do the most basic requirement of a relationship"

That's a worrying stereotype... Why would they break up with someone who gives them sex, if that's what they want?

Virginity has no inherent value. It is purely societal. Sex with a virgin is 99% much much worse than with someone who's had it before.

You don't. How do you know you aren't using him by making him wait (this is one of the worst things you can do to a guy)?

That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Did the person who told you that have cancer? Or do you believe anything you're told?

It's only as special as you think it is. There is no absolute 'special' value to a way of having sex. Sex is sex.

Why do you think young people should do the same as you? Do you see yourself as better than (any) others?

You would be 'only his' regardless of whether you've had sex before. I think you mean to say something else

As a guy, I'll say it how it is: All men want the hottest girl, the one only some are able to get. If a man 'gets' a hot girl, that is something not everyone could have had and is nothing to do with virginity.

'Showing off a wife' would only be desirable if she was the hottest around, not if she was the most chaste.

Because they are more desperate. You mean start to age not start to mature.

That's unlucky. Sex before marriage is not committing a crime...
    because they're arabs and muslims, and it's sad to admit but like 99 % of them ( at least in france) treat muslim women ( because they have no problem treating non muslim girls right) who had sex with them like they are damaged goods;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinnylove25)
    because they're arabs and muslims, and it's sad to admit but like 99 % of them ( at least in france) treat muslim women ( because they have no problem treating non muslim girls right) who had sex with them like they are damaged goods;
    Honestly that's a stupid generalisation. I'm a Muslim and I admit there's obviously a problem with regards to this but 99%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    Honestly that's a stupid generalisation. I'm a Muslim and I admit there's obviously a problem with regards to this but 99%?
    Yes sorry I should have added in my particular area of france , because yes where I am from, they almost all behave like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skinnylove25)
    Yes sorry I should have added in my particular area of france , because yes where I am from, they almost all behave like this
    Alright, fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Disregarding the fact that it's also a part of my faith, I also see it as something quite remarkable… In the sense that you've abstained for “the one”. It just makes it special, y'know? :P That does however mean that I expect the same from them, although I would understand if (under some exceptional circumstances) they aren't a Virgin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    I would always have sex after marriage, there's a difference between making love and having sex with someone, i'd rather save myself for my husband and make it special than losing it in a one night stand and regretting it
    And you might end up not having a sexual relationship with your husband until you're married, realising how sexually incompatible you are, living an unsatisfying married life forever and regretting that 😝

I see why people might want to wait, I did once upon a time, then I realised I was denying myself and compromising relationships for the sake of something that wouldn't prove beneficial. By all means, wait til you're with someone you love, but sex is an important part of a romantic relationship and you need to know you're compatible BEFORE you make the decision to get married. I can't imagine making a decision as huge as whether I wanted to spend the rest of my life with someone when I'd never so much as spent the night with them.

ReputationRep:
    I want to wait till marriage. It comes down to spirituality more than religion and my mum (who didn't wait till marriage).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.