The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OhGod

If you look back in this thread he went and said that people who cant get Cs in GCSE maths and English should not be allowed to get jobs. That's slightly offensive if you ask me.

Original post by OhGod

OP I'm pretty sure that you are autistic, and therefore not suited for university :smile:

They are a good alternative for people who can't hack university.

Pot called the kettle black. :yawn:
Original post by Dalek1099
A lot of Maths can be done with formulas, even with A Level there will be marks for literally just using a formula, however most of the time when you use a formula in Maths A Level you will need understanding to calculate a component of the formula but really Maths could probably be done by mass memorisation of formulas for the understanding parts you wouldn't be given in the formula book or at least of extremely similar past paper questions.

A Level Physics doesn't really have a large amount of content its much more about the application and concepts and you still get a lot of marks for formula sheet work.Although at A2 there is much more rearranging equations to get general results(without subbing in numbers) like in Maths.

But you've just proved my original point. If maths and physics can largely be done by memorisation, then good grades in them are not exactly indicative of an amazing intelligence, only the ability to memorise equations (and sometimes rearrange them, which is pretty basic).

Therefore, a lower grade just shows you didn't memorise as much as you should have. And that matters very little, because the A* grade pupils will have forgotten all the stuff they'd memorised by the time they go to university (in most cases anyway).

You don't need 11+ A* at GCSEs. You don't even need amazing AS levels. I have 2 A* grades at GCSE, 5 A grades, 3 Bs and a C and an E, B, A and C at AS Level and I've got an offer for Warwick uni when most other applicants have something like 11 A*s and A grades at AS.

It's all about references, passion, enthusiasm. You can have all the A grades in the world and still lack the natural passion that a B grade student has.
Original post by BCMFM16
That's deep...

Well it's my life everyday.
Original post by Dalek1099
I sometimes feel like I will admit I often feel the need to be worth something and better than other people to be useful to society otherwise there isn't much point to living when I'm down my success in academia keeps me going and how much my teachers believe in me(they think I am really really talented and expect so much from me) ,without it I would be much more depressed than I am now.

Do you think it might be possible that you have narcissistic personality disorder?
Original post by Atunu
And... at what point do you start to enjoy life? Travelling, concerts, friendships, mistakes and good choices... I could go on. You say there isn't much point to life if you don't succeed academically. Is that really all you ask from life? Not going to mention arrogance or superficiality. Just, really, really sad.

That's all some of us have. We don't have many friends and certainly no relationships. I'm sorry, but some of us have limited lives but we strive to be the best to compensate for these deficits.
Original post by All_TheCyanide
What a ridiculous statement. Grades mean nothing in the real world. God, I'd hate to go to Cambridge if there are people like you there! I have friends who had A grades at GCSE and E grades in the same subjects at AS. GCSEs are memory tests, they mean absolutely nothing. Your piss poor grammar and punctuation really isn't consistent with your elitist nonsense, either.

A B also isn't a "low grade". A low grade would be a D or an E. You can rote learn most GCSE subjects anyway. If you have a poor memory, you're screwed.

What would you say to people who have 3 A*s at A Level and go to one of the best universities in the world? Did they just rote learn? Is it really so simple?
Reply 126
Original post by Asexual Demigod
That's all some of us have. We don't have many friends and certainly no relationships. I'm sorry, but some of us have limited lives but we strive to be the best to compensate for these deficits.

You are really passionate about this guy. I was expressing my opinion like you are, I don't care beyond that point. Each person has their own life, so live how you want.
Original post by Atunu
You are really passionate about this guy. I was expressing my opinion like you are, I don't care beyond that point. Each person has their own life, so live how you want.

He is one of the only people I can relate to on this website. He prioritises his education on a student website. You'd think he'd be the norm, but sadly he's not.
What would you say to people who have 3 A*s at A Level and go to one of the best universities in the world? Did they just rote learn? Is it really so simple?

I didn't say A Levels, did I? I said GCSEs. A Levels are different, as I learnt the hard way.
Original post by All_TheCyanide
I didn't say A Levels, did I? I said GCSEs. A Levels are different, as I learnt the hard way.

Well? You didn't answer the question. Would you say someone with A*A*A* at A Level who goes to one of the best universities in the world is just a stupid rote learner?
Well? You didn't answer the question. Would you say someone with A*A*A* at A Level who goes to one of the best universities in the world is just a stupid rote learner?

Not A Level, no. A Levels are different, as I just said.

You can't rote learn an A Level. There's far more understanding involved and there's far more content.

And degrees certainly aren't rote learning.

That being said, intelligence isn't just academic. If you think that, you're ignorant.
Reply 131
He is one of the only people I can relate to on this website. He prioritises his education on a student website. You'd think he'd be the norm, but sadly he's not.

Understandable. Being a student doesn't necessarily have to comprise of only studying though, not for everyone. He can prioritise his education and that's great, but not belittle those who don't. People can live the life they want, but to tell others what's good and what isn't, is not on. I don't think it's sad that people don't focus on education only, it's good to have variety.
Original post by Atunu
Understandable. Being a student doesn't necessarily have to comprise of only studying though, not for everyone. He can prioritise his education and that's great, but not belittle those who don't. People can live the life they want, but to tell others what's good and what isn't, is not on. I don't think it's sad that people don't focus on education only, it's good to have variety.

This is a student website unless you haven't noticed. Why come here if you don't prioritise education? Why not just call this "The Slacker Room" then? :biggrin:
Well it's my life everyday.

You are a complete joke and hopefully when you leave your university bubble and enter the real world you'll wake up and realise everything isn't about you.

Your name is demigod for christ sake

Yes it is that simple.
Reply 134
This is a student website unless you haven't noticed. Why come here if you don't prioritise education? Why not just call this "The Slacker Room" then? :biggrin:

Unnecessary. I clearly have noticed, leave the satire. If the only thing all students shared was only studying, then we'd all be like you, and that's a boring prospect. Live and let live, why do you care if someone is a slacker? You'll do your thing and others will do theirs, no one is interrupting your life if they talk about games or whatever, don't like it, don't get involved.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Yes it is that simple.

Then why isn't everyone achieving that, hm? If it is oh so simple?
(edited 9 years ago)
Then why isn't everyone achieving that, hm? If it is oh so simple?

Because not everyone can be bothered to do it...

Their loss. And that just goes to show how much more dedicated and motivated I am compared to others.
(edited 9 years ago)

I agree. A good example would be when I revised for my A level exams, and when I didn't. When I revised, of course I achieved A*s, when I didn't, I achieved Ds and Es.

There are however, some people who just don't have the mental capacity to retain lots of information needed for exams.
Their loss. And that just goes to show how much more dedicated and motivated I am compared to others.

Why?

Some people are happier having fun rather than getting good grades

Quick Reply

Latest