Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    Why because she's had too many jager bombs?
    Better than nuclear bombs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temporary_user)
    Mate it's a video game, it's not the Olympics...
    I don't think you quite understand how difficult it is to be world-class at a video game. Then again you weren't the one who spent near 10000 hours working on achieving that so you wouldn't.

There was a thread on this before. It IS just like the olympics.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a laugh tbh.....
    I don't really think so. I think the only reason they're doing those kinds of things while drunk is because they can't help it, not because they actually want people to see them in that state.

If it were such a laugh, why don't they run into the road screaming, strip off their clothes and urinate everywhere while sober too? If it's not something they're ashamed of, why are they so concerned to ensure that their family members, employers etc. don't see pictures of that kind of thing arising on social media?

Either way, I'd rather leave those kinds of activities to other people.

Because you're just sat there like well...... this is fun.
    Not really. Just because someone isn't drunk doesn't mean they're just sat there doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I don't think you quite understand how difficult it is to be world-class at a video game. Then again you weren't the one who spent near 10000 hours working on achieving that so you wouldn't.

There was a thread on this before. It IS just like the olympics.
    You've spent 10000 hours on that game ??? Lmfao, any video game is easy if you play long enough, especially if you play for the equivalent of 400 days on it... Lol are you for real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I don't really think so. I think the only reason they're doing those kinds of things while drunk is because they can't help it, not because they actually want people to see them in that state. If it were such a laugh, why don't they run into the road screaming, strip off their clothes and urinate everywhere while sober too?

Either way, I'd rather leave those kinds of activities to other people.

Not really. Just because someone isn't drunk doesn't mean they're just sat there doing nothing.
    I think they do it for the same reason everyone drinks, to enhance social experience.

Have you ever been on a lads holiday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    Alcohol is bad for memorising things when revising

which
    ****ing
    idiot
    would do that

ReputationRep:
    You've spent 10000 hours on that game ??? Lmfao, any video game is easy if you play long enough, especially if you play for the equivalent of 400 days on it... Lol are you for real
    4000hours actively playing it. Well over that length of time studying its economics/psychology/design.

Games don't get easier as you play them more lol - I'm talking about player vs player games, not single player vs AI.

People are quite unpredictable and if you spend hours and hours bettering yourself so will they so they can beat you. The deeper you get into the games mechanics the more complicated everything becomes. But this is what makes it so entertaining. Matches that exhibit superb skill due to the speed that the players must have in order to compete at that level. You have to be very dexterous. Not only that though, but you must be extremely knowledgeable, great at predicting what your foe is planning from snippets of information and be able to react as quick as possible too. It makes me sweat but its so much fun.

ReputationRep:
    Because I've seen people do and/or say things they wouldn't if they were sober. I don't need alcohol to lower my inhibitions. "Liquid courage" is a lame excuse to me.

Personally, I like knowing that the decisions I make aren't affected by anything but my conscious intention to do whatever it is I'm doing.

And not drinking doesn't stop me from going out or to bars. It's not awkward or weird until people who are drinking feel that way. Constantly asking if you're okay, or asking you not to judge them for whatever inebriated thing they're doing.

It's like, "Don't worry, didn't plan on it. Can we talk about something else now?" I knew what I was getting into when I came here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4000hours actively playing it. Well over that length of time studying its economics/psychology/design.

Games don't get easier as you play them more lol - I'm talking about player vs player games, not single player vs AI.

People are quite unpredictable and if you spend hours and hours bettering yourself so will they so they can beat you. The deeper you get into the games mechanics the more complicated everything becomes. But this is what makes it so entertaining. Matches that exhibit superb skill due to the speed that the players must have in order to compete at that level. You have to be very dexterous. Not only that though, but you must be extremely knowledgeable, great at predicting what your foe is planning from snippets of information and be able to react as quick as possible too. It makes me sweat but its so much fun.
    Of course it's pvp I'm not an idiot, and yeah video games get easier with time that's fundamental to anything. Additionally there's really no defence against you, you look down on drinking yet you're a serious video game addict

ReputationRep:
    I think they do it for the same reason everyone drinks, to enhance social experience.
    I'm sure they're drinking to enhance social experience; the problem is that being drunk brings all those extra negative aspects with it too. Lying on a road vomiting isn't an enhancement of social experience, it just makes one look stupid.

Plus if you're a confident person you can enhance your social experience on your own anyway (e.g. by not being too shy to dance with someone or flirt with someone or whatever it is you want to do).

Have you ever been on a lads holiday?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm sure they're drinking to enhance social experience; the problem is that being drunk brings all those extra negative aspects with it too. Lying on a road vomiting isn't an enhancement of social experience, it just makes one look stupid.

Plus if you're a confident person you can enhance your social experience on your own anyway (e.g. by not being too shy to dance with someone or flirt with someone or whatever it is you want to do).

Yes
    I can control how drunk I get because I know my limits, no vomiting on the road for me.

Wow. You seriously didn't drink at all?

That must have been the ****test holiday ever

ReputationRep:

You need to get a life mate, I'm guessing you're still a virgin as well?

(Original post by ShyBrown)
    Because I've seen people do and/or say things they wouldn't if they were sober. I don't need alcohol to lower my inhibitions. "Liquid courage" is a lame excuse to me.

Personally, I like knowing that the decisions I make aren't affected by anything but my conscious intention to do whatever it is I'm doing.

And not drinking doesn't stop me from going out or to bars. It's not awkward or weird until people who are drinking feel that way. Constantly asking if you're okay, or asking you not to judge them for whatever inebriated thing they're doing.

It's like, "Don't worry, didn't plan on it. Can we talk about something else now?" I knew what I was getting into when I came here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You sound fun, have you ever been drunk?

ReputationRep:
    because they're boring
    end of discussion

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's pvp I'm not an idiot, and yeah video games get easier with time that's fundamental to anything. Additionally there's really no defence against you, you look down on drinking yet you're a serious video game addict
    Right, so studying GCSE mathematics is harder than studying post-graduate mathematics.

No, it isn't true that everything gets easier over time. Well, I suppose that depends on your definition of easy, obviously I am on average performing at a higher level, but that isn't the usual definition of easy. Normally by easy we mean "can achieve one's maximum ability at the goal with little effort". Sports aren't that, electronic or otherwise.

Suffice to say the more you study it the more complex its reality becomes. Of course pulling off "tricks" is easier the longer you practice something. It's ridiculous to call me a video game addict when it has done nothing to impede my quality of life, in fact it's improved it tremendously.

What are basing my addiction on? The fact that I'm extremely passionate about a video game? What's so bad about passion into video games? Why is it different from spending 10k hours studying/playing tennis if I enjoy it far far more? I'm not unfit, I'm not unhealthy, I've spent that 10k hours over many years.

ReputationRep:

You sound fun, have you ever been drunk?
    Nope! And I was a sober member of my undergrad "drinking" and volunteer society. :top:

We did lots of crazy shiz, including but not limited to streaking, and I did it all sans alcohol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right, so studying GCSE mathematics is harder than studying post-graduate mathematics.

No, it isn't true that everything gets easier over time. Well, I suppose that depends on your definition of easy, obviously I am on average performing at a higher level, but that isn't the usual definition of easy. Normally by easy we mean "can achieve one's maximum ability at the goal with little effort". Sports aren't that, electronic or otherwise.

Suffice to say the more you study it the more complex its reality becomes. Of course pulling off "tricks" is easier the longer you practice something. It's ridiculous to call me a video game addict when it has done nothing to impede my quality of life, in fact it's improved it tremendously.

What are basing my addiction on? The fact that I'm extremely passionate about a video game? What's so bad about passion into video games? Why is it different from spending 10k hours studying/playing tennis if I enjoy it far far more? I'm not unfit, I'm not unhealthy, I've spent that 10k hours over many years.
    Yes, actually it is. Doing alevel maths means you study everything in a lot more depth and get about 100x the practice. I'm guessing you haven't done alevel maths anyway, I'm doing further maths.

And you are seriously addicted and over righteous about how it's an "achievement", you've doen nothkng but pretended that you're the 5th best in the world at a video game, so what? It's not a skill, it's a sickness, you realise you're ill?

ReputationRep:
    You need to get a life mate, I'm guessing you're still a virgin as well?
    You need to get over your childish obsession with primitive desires.

Life isn't all about sex, drugs, food and sleep you know?

You should accept that not everyone can derive happy from those things, and if they can it isn't efficient for them to spend their time doing so as they derive too little from such.

I'm extremely happy about my life and so I have a better life than the vast majority of people I know who aren't happy, but who you may claim do have "lives". Also, from all I know I can only predict that I will continue to happy in the future due to the fact that I'm doing decent in education, not suffering from mental/physical illnesses am otherwise healthy, have good work experience and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, actually it is. Doing alevel maths means you study everything in a lot more depth and get about 100x the practice. I'm guessing you haven't done alevel maths anyway, I'm doing further maths.

And you are seriously addicted and over righteous about how it's an "achievement", you've doen nothkng but pretended that you're the 5th best in the world at a video game, so what? It's not a skill, it's a sickness, you realise you're ill?
    smh, why would anyone pretend about such a thing?

Of course it's an achievement you fool. We set meaning to our own lives. That challenge - to win tournaments at aforementioned game and beat specific players in it - was one of the biggest goals in my recreational life and I achieved them and am very happy because of that. You clearly don't understand the meaning of illness if you think I'm ill because of that.

I did study AS maths, dropped it though because the practice was too dull for me and so I ended up with a mere C. I do economics at university though so I'm used to all the calculus.

ReputationRep:
    smh, why would anyone pretend about such a thing?

Of course it's an achievement you fool. We set meaning to our own lives. That challenge - to win tournaments at aforementioned game and beat specific players in it - was one of the biggest goals in my recreational life and I achieved them and am very happy because of that. You clearly don't understand the meaning of illness if you think I'm ill because of that.

I did study AS maths, dropped it though because the practice was too dull for me and so I ended up with a mere C. I do economics at university though so I'm used to all the calculus.
    If you hadn't wasted your life on that video game you could have been at a much better university. Not having dropped maths lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShyBrown)
    Nope! And I was a sober member of my undergrad "drinking" and volunteer society. :top:

We did lots of crazy shiz, including but not limited to streaking, and I did it all sans alcohol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :yawn:

Sounds like a ball

You need to get over your childish obsession with primitive desires.

Life isn't all about sex, drugs, food and sleep you know?

You should accept that not everyone can derive happy from those things, and if they can it isn't efficient for them to spend their time doing so as they derive too little from such.

I'm extremely happy about my life and so I have a better life than the vast majority of people I know who aren't happy, but who you may claim do have "lives". Also, from all I know I can only predict that I will continue to happy in the future due to the fact that I'm doing decent in education, not suffering from mental/physical illnesses am otherwise healthy, have good work experience and so on.
    Erm.......... yeah it is! :laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.