Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Africa:clearing up misconceptions! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    what is employment like? do most people work? do you plan to ever leave and move to another country?
    Yes I'd say most people work. Employment could be better, too many disadvantaged people

Yeah, after i study abroad I'll probably live elsewhere for a while. But Ivory Coast will always be my home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussMack)
    We see on the TV the amount of people that don't have jobs and spend all their time trying to find food and water for their children, how much is that a true conception of central Africa as opposed to what the TV tells us?
    Basically how naive am I?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very naive. there are many countries in africa, some are poor but others are rich and some are in the middle. On the TV, you see some countries being mentioned like ethopia or somalia as being very poor. Go to romania and you will see much of the same thing however does that mean all of europe is like that?? NO. I also hate the way people generalise people in africa. They think all africans are very dark with big noses but actaully most countries the natives dont look like that. Example, morroco, libya and tunisia have very pale white and you wont find people who are very black or have big noses. Than theres east africa, somalia, eritea ,ethopia and dijbouti where the people all have small noses, high foreheads, small lips and usually are very tall. Africa is very beautiful and defo one of the most amazing places you will ever see. the media portrays it horribles becuase those old racists ****s who sit up on the parliments and call themsleves 'lords' dont want people to go to africa and actaully see there is a better way of life and some countries in africa there is NO TAX. Search up places like mozambique, mauritania and madagascar, they are soo beautiful and peaceful and people are amazin

ReputationRep:
    Goodluck tomorrowww #CIV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Goodluck tomorrowww #CIV
    💗 Yess Ivory Coast for the win
    🍊🍊🍚🍚🍏🍏
    🍊🍊🍚🍚🍏🍏
    🍊🍊🍚🍚🍏🍏

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Speak on behalf of your country, not Africa. You don't know what it's really like for us. You probably live in those little rich urban areas.
    No need to be a bitter ********.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How does it feel knowing your country will receive a asswhooping from Ghana tomorrow 😜😜😁.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How does it feel knowing your country will receive a asswhooping from Ghana tomorrow 😜😜😁.
    Looool never 🙊🙊😦 Ivory Coast 2015 AFCON winners 😏😏🍊🍚🍏

ReputationRep:
    Have you traveled anywhere else in Africa? What kind of abuse have you received (if any) so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Looool never 🙊🙊😦 Ivory Coast 2015 AFCON winners 😏😏🍊🍚🍏

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well see about that 😄😎😜😉.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Have you traveled anywhere else in Africa? What kind of abuse have you received (if any) so far?
    Yes: Ghana,Senegal,Kenya,South Africa, and a few North African countries.

Just the rare remark

ReputationRep:
    Yes: Ghana,Senegal,Kenya,South Africa, and a few North African countries.

Just the rare remark

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You didn't visit Gambia 😞, that's where I was born.

ReputationRep:
    Do some of the natives not like the fact that there are so many Lebanese people there?

ReputationRep:
    Do some of the natives not like the fact that there are so many Lebanese people there?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    You didn't visit Gambia 😞, that's where I was born.
    Ahh i hope to visit more African countries inchallah!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i hope to visit more African countries inchallah!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    😄👍😊.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Fave afrobeat songs?

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Ross Kemp in South Africa. That didn't do the continent any good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahellens)
    Very naive. there are many countries in africa, some are poor but others are rich and some are in the middle. On the TV, you see some countries being mentioned like ethopia or somalia as being very poor. Go to romania and you will see much of the same thing however does that mean all of europe is like that?? NO. I also hate the way people generalise people in africa. They think all africans are very dark with big noses but actaully most countries the natives dont look like that. Example, morroco, libya and tunisia have very pale white and you wont find people who are very black or have big noses. Than theres east africa, somalia, eritea ,ethopia and dijbouti where the people all have small noses, high foreheads, small lips and usually are very tall. Africa is very beautiful and defo one of the most amazing places you will ever see. the media portrays it horribles becuase those old racists ****s who sit up on the parliments and call themsleves 'lords' dont want people to go to africa and actaully see there is a better way of life and some countries in africa there is NO TAX. Search up places like mozambique, mauritania and madagascar, they are soo beautiful and peaceful and people are amazin
    yes it's true that africa is wrongly generalised, but why do you make it sound like the 'stereotypical african' with dark skin and a large nose is such a horrible thing. its quite offensive tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    yes it's true that africa is wrongly generalised, but why do you make it sound like the 'stereotypical african' with dark skin and a large nose is such a horrible thing. its quite offensive tbh
    What?? I am not saying its horrible thing. I am saying that its wrong to believe every african is like that. I am african from dijbouti and people always say to me ' how omg you dont look african!!' Or 'why are you so light skinned?' Or even worse '' are you sure your african?''. I am just letting the guy know africans are very diverse people. they come in all shapes and colours and are very dark skinned but some are not. That was the point of my whole post. I am sick of not even being considered african by some people becuase i dont fit that stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Fave afrobeat songs?
    Err right now:
    Kukere,on top your matter,azonto(Wizkid), dorobucci,Caro

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.