The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
My Nan came over from County Cork, but she was a Daly. A few of the O'Briens hail from Donegal, but there's a lot of us in Munster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh fair enough. I don't know too much about my family history because if the current generation is anything to go by it seems a little dodgy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Ahh fair enough. I don't know too much about my family history because if the current generation is anything to go by it seems a little dodgy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha. I know loads, probably because it's quite cool to be descended from Ireland's greatest King.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Haha. I know loads, probably because it's quite cool to be descended from Ireland's greatest King.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah yeah yeah:rolleyes: it's alright for some

I think if you look it up you'll find Corrigan appears more in the prison books:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
What does it even mean to feel British or follow British values?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Swanbow
According to the government, 'democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs'.

Although David Starkey has a more entertaining definition, 'queuing, drunkenness, nostalgia, loving pets, self-loathing, wit and eccentricity'. Personally I'd add understatement, love of moaning and politeness to the list.

I'd fail the drunkenness, queueing and self-loathing bit of the tests, and probably pass all of the others. I was born here, have lived here all my life, though have ancestors/relatives from France. I feel British when in the UK but much less so when abroad, because I don't match the stereotypical Brit abroad. Especially in France and other countries where I speak some of the local language, do not look like a tourist, and in France and Belgium I am often assumed by others to be a local person.
Reply 124
Original post by barnetlad
I'd fail the drunkenness, queueing and self-loathing bit of the tests, and probably pass all of the others. I was born here, have lived here all my life, though have ancestors/relatives from France. I feel British when in the UK but much less so when abroad, because I don't match the stereotypical Brit abroad. Especially in France and other countries where I speak some of the local language, do not look like a tourist, and in France and Belgium I am often assumed by others to be a local person.

Are you from the south east?
I was born in Glasgow to an Irish father and Scottish mother and brought up in England. I Have never felt English and NEVER felt remotely British. Why?Firstly my mother had to leave Glasgow in 1951 to get a job. She faced like her sisters discrimination of being a catholic. This is 1951 and it was until 1975 that GB would change the law in this area. Only protestants could get a job in Glasgow. in the private sector. Secondly, after the 1974 IRA bombings my father received so much physical and mental abuse from his fellow workers. This would continue for the next 21 years. Only the Irish and non white people would speak to him. So now I have Irish nationality. Actually many catholic regardless of class feel s]Scottish but NEVER BRITISH.

Latest