Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else here doesn't feel 'British'. watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Andy98)
    My grandad came over from Cork when he was a wee lad. But most of the family is still in Ireland although there's some of us in most countries now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My Nan came over from County Cork, but she was a Daly. A few of the O'Briens hail from Donegal, but there's a lot of us in Munster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    My Nan came over from County Cork, but she was a Daly. A few of the O'Briens hail from Donegal, but there's a lot of us in Munster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh fair enough. I don't know too much about my family history because if the current generation is anything to go by it seems a little dodgy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Ahh fair enough. I don't know too much about my family history because if the current generation is anything to go by it seems a little dodgy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha. I know loads, probably because it's quite cool to be descended from Ireland's greatest King.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Haha. I know loads, probably because it's quite cool to be descended from Ireland's greatest King.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah yeah yeah:rolleyes: it's alright for some

I think if you look it up you'll find Corrigan appears more in the prison books

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)
    What does it even mean to feel British or follow British values?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Swanbow)
    According to the government, 'democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs'.

Although David Starkey has a more entertaining definition, 'queuing, drunkenness, nostalgia, loving pets, self-loathing, wit and eccentricity'. Personally I'd add understatement, love of moaning and politeness to the list.
    I'd fail the drunkenness, queueing and self-loathing bit of the tests, and probably pass all of the others. I was born here, have lived here all my life, though have ancestors/relatives from France. I feel British when in the UK but much less so when abroad, because I don't match the stereotypical Brit abroad. Especially in France and other countries where I speak some of the local language, do not look like a tourist, and in France and Belgium I am often assumed by others to be a local person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I'd fail the drunkenness, queueing and self-loathing bit of the tests, and probably pass all of the others. I was born here, have lived here all my life, though have ancestors/relatives from France. I feel British when in the UK but much less so when abroad, because I don't match the stereotypical Brit abroad. Especially in France and other countries where I speak some of the local language, do not look like a tourist, and in France and Belgium I am often assumed by others to be a local person.
    Are you from the south east?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.