Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    I thought that was a pretty awful question, way too much non-economics stuff to discuss, which doesn't really get you many marks
    Yeah I hate talking about poverty because I feel like it's a generic point, the only thing you can talk about is like externalities and such.
    Also did a buffer stock scheme q which was a pain because you had to talk about one policy and evaluate it, which I guess was easy evaluation but still an annoying question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicole_Streakyy)
    Thankss, really helpful
    Already found it helped me a lot in multiple choice questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else excited for this? I can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    Anyone else excited for this? I can't wait.
    So long as I get my merit/demerit/positive/negative externality question.

ReputationRep:
    The question is normally something topical. I have a feeling a question about plain cigarette packaging as the best way to reduce output in that industry may be a good bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewissteele)
    The question is normally something topical. I have a feeling a question about plain cigarette packaging as the best way to reduce output in that industry may be a good bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would you talk about

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Does anyone know how to deal with the excess supply that is generated by minimum pricing on demerit goods (i.e. alcohol)?
    As in:

Do firms export the excess supply? or do firms distribute it via black market? or do I just say that they deserve it because they were profiting from selling demerit goods?

Thanks

(Original post by TommyBrecon)
    Hi, Does anyone know how to deal with the excess supply that is generated by minimum pricing on demerit goods (i.e. alcohol)?
    As in:

Price
    l
    l D /S
    Pmin l_____\__ /______
    l \ /
    P0 l \/
    l /\
    l / \
    l______________________ QdQs
    Q0

Do firms export the excess supply? or do firms distribute it via black market? or do I just say that they deserve it because they were profiting from selling demerit goods?

Thanks
    The government normally has to buy up the excess supply when they set a minimum price law (known as intervention buying), then they dispose of it, which is a a waste of scarce resources and inefficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    The government normally has to buy up the excess supply when they set a minimum price law (known as intervention buying), then they dispose of it, which is a a waste of scarce resources and inefficient.
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krippleman1)
    What would you talk about
    Basically draw on cigs being a demerit good.

Intro define demerit good talk about consumers not understand the negative externalities in terms of health care in later life

P1 Argue for plain packaging draw the negative consumption diag. Evaluate by saying its not really effective anyway due to the elasticities of cigarettes

P2 Say an alternative eg increase tax and evaluate that eg opp cost and govt failure

P3 draw on another point from extract

ReputationRep:
    How would you write a 25 marker on ake thing about negative externality eg pollution. Like can someone just plan it out for me please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turbo1)
    My guesses are:

Housing Market
    Milk Market
    Fracking
    Healthcare
    Cigarettes
    What would you say about the housing markets? The only thing I can think of is maximum prices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

how up-to-date is this? e.g. are the figures still relevant?

(Original post by Turbo1)
    The webinar was the other day - so very up to date
    oh sick cheers for this then

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon that monopolies will come up as a question 4?

ReputationRep:

Can someone help me with this question? The answer is D but I don't understand how?
    Attached Images

(Original post by ridirahman)

Can someone help me with this question? The answer is D but I don't understand how?
    Wait isn't the answer B?

(Original post by examstress10)
    Do you reckon that monopolies will come up as a question 4?
    According to my teacher it's the 2nd most likely, after housing market so very likely!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.