Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! I've already chosen them both but might consider changing one to something else. Definitely gonna talk to some teachers about it, thanks for the advice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    RANT wtf is wrong with my school? I only pick three subjects because I have the do R.E it's the easiest most bs waste of time subject to date anybody else doing R.E because they have to

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 9 and I have chosen my GCSE options already. This list will include what I have to do as well as what I picked.
    • English (Language and Literature)- AQA
    • Maths- Edexcel
    • Triple science- AQA
    • Core PE- AQA
    • History- OCR
    • Drama- Edexel
    • GCSE PE- OCR

Back up options (We had to pick three!)
    1) IT (Computing)
    2) Psychology
    3) RS
    I can't remember what the exam boards for these are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 9, but am taking History this year (because, yeah, I'm home educated)! I have already decided that all I'm doing is History plus the normal six, because I want to spend more time "developing an interest", which is apparently what they really look for (at least in home schoolers) at uni. I'm already in my first year for the sciences (those and the History are online courses), and I'm gonna take maths this January, because it should only take me one term to plough through it (at least, my brother managed it:/), and will take the two English courses in year 11 as "correspondence courses" - basically, I have to do all the work myself, and the teacher just marks my essays. Plus, I'm hoping to take FSMQ in the January of year 11. So the GCSEs are spread out.
    Hoping to take lots of A-levels, though - Chem, Phys, Bio, Maths and Further Maths. I want to do Natural Sciences at Uni, as my interest is bees, and I want to study them when I'm older. So lots of plans there!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    I'm currently in year 9, but am taking History this year (because, yeah, I'm home educated)! I have already decided that all I'm doing is History plus the normal six, because I want to spend more time "developing an interest", which is apparently what they really look for (at least in home schoolers) at uni. I'm already in my first year for the sciences (those and the History are online courses), and I'm gonna take maths this January, because it should only take me one term to plough through it (at least, my brother managed it:/), and will take the two English courses in year 11 as "correspondence courses" - basically, I have to do all the work myself, and the teacher just marks my essays. Plus, I'm hoping to take FSMQ in the January of year 11. So the GCSEs are spread out.
    Hoping to take lots of A-levels, though - Chem, Phys, Bio, Maths and Further Maths. I want to do Natural Sciences at Uni, as my interest is bees, and I want to study them when I'm older. So lots of plans there!
    Sounds cool! You definetly do have an interest in bees *hint*your username*hint* :P

ReputationRep:
    Hm, yes, that would also hint at it! :P Only reason I chose it is because I couldn't decide between singing(which I also enjoy) and bees, so I stuck at Treblebee!:P

ReputationRep:
    My end of year exams are next week! Any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyream)
    RANT wtf is wrong with my school? I only pick three subjects because I have the do R.E it's the easiest most bs waste of time subject to date anybody else doing R.E because they have to
    I have to do R.E too, but I actually really like it, though it is annoying only getting to pick three subjects. I'm taking Art, History and Geography, but I think I probably would have picked R.E anyway if I got to choose four options.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm 14 and currently in Year 9. I've been lurking around TSR for a while now, but I finally feel like I should post something, since this does apply to me, haha.

I'm choosing History, French, Religious Studies and Triple Science for my options at GCSE, along with my school's compulsory subjects which are English Lang + Lit, Maths, Personal Development, PE(not looking forward to that one D: ) and Core Science. I'd like to do Further Maths, too, although I don't yet know whether my school offer this. I would really like to study Law one day, possibly at Cambridge, and I'm hoping my options will allow me to do so in the future. I'm unsure as to what PE course I'm going to be doing right now, as our school offers multiple courses, and they decide whether we do BTEC or GCSE, and even then, I'm not clear on the differences!

If anyone has any advice or anything on what I'm doing at GCSE, I would love to hear it! c:

Alongside school, I love horse riding, art, reading and running. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    Hi everyone! I'm 14 and currently in Year 9. I've been lurking around TSR for a while now, but I finally feel like I should post something, since this does apply to me, haha.

I'm choosing History, French, Religious Studies and Triple Science for my options at GCSE, along with my school's compulsory subjects which are English Lang + Lit, Maths, Personal Development, PE(not looking forward to that one D: ) and Core Science. I'd like to do Further Maths, too, although I don't yet know whether my school offer this. I would really like to study Law one day, possibly at Cambridge, and I'm hoping my options will allow me to do so in the future. I'm unsure as to what PE course I'm going to be doing right now, as our school offers multiple courses, and they decide whether we do BTEC or GCSE, and even then, I'm not clear on the differences!

If anyone has any advice or anything on what I'm doing at GCSE, I would love to hear it! c:

Alongside school, I love horse riding, art, reading and running. ^^
    I love horse-riding, reading and Art too, but not running!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Chloe.kcd)
    x
    (Original post by Rebecca850)
    x
    (Original post by saraahhgr)
    x
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    x
    (Original post by ExplodingStarsss)
    x
    (Original post by swnuf)
    x
    (Original post by HelenaAsia)
    x
    (Original post by mclacy)
    x
    (Original post by RXMXXKX)
    x
    (Original post by TIS200)
    x
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    x
    (Original post by Elijah Wilkinson)
    x
    (Original post by Gribby2)
    x
    (Original post by Toastie2001)
    x
    (Original post by daydreamingx)
    x
    (Original post by Ihatespirometers)
    x
    (Original post by FutureChemist)
    x
    (Original post by lale)
    x
    (Original post by Upseedasy)
    x
    (Original post by Matildascarlett)
    x
    (Original post by mxgxn)
    x
    (Original post by Vicaboo)
    x
    (Original post by tyream)
    x
    (Original post by Upseedasy)
    x
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    x

Hi :wavey: I just want you all to know that I've updated the first post (OP) again. I've added to the quotes, colour and to the "Meet the Y9s".

I've also added my own advice to you all for starting GCSEs/Year 10 because I know some of you guys have been requesting that :yep: In the "Useful Links" section you can find more advice from other people as well as a great article explaining the changes to GCSEs next year if you don't already know about it
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Hi :wavey: I just want you all to know that I've updated the first post (OP) again. I've added to the quotes, colour and to the "Meet the Y9s".

I've also added my own advice to you all for starting GCSEs/Year 10 because I know some of you guys have been requesting that :yep: In the "Useful Links" section you can find more advice from other people as well as a great article explaining the changes to GCSEs next year if you don't already know about it
    Nicee.. :hugs:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Nicee.. :hugs:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    How are you? :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by usycool1)
    xx
    The year 9 thread has been a bit neglected recently, fancy having our chats in here today? . (Though I have a 'monitoring point' to attend on campus, so will be unavailable between 1pm and 5pm )
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    The year 9 thread has been a bit neglected recently, fancy having our chats in here today? . (Though I have a 'monitoring point' to attend on campus, so will be unavailable between 1pm and 5pm )
    Let's do it We've never talked here either so I doubt anyone knows us. :beard:

What's a monitoring point?
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Let's do it We've never talked here either so I doubt anyone knows us. :beard:

What's a monitoring point?
    Basically, the University is required to register our attendance at University 4 or 5 times a term. It's like afternoon registration at school - it's just to check we're okay and still part of the University (as if we're absent for a term or something, the University is very good in checking up on us to make sure we're okay, need any help, have just fallen ill or something) :yep: . It was enforced last year due to visa problems for international students. It stops international students 'registering' with the University in order to get into the UK, then going and finding a job or work instead of attending, which is illegal :yep:
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Basically, the University is required to register our attendance at University 4 or 5 times a term. It's like afternoon registration at school - it's just to check we're okay and still part of the University (as if we're absent for a term or something, the University is very good in checking up on us to make sure we're okay, need any help, have just fallen ill or something) :yep: . It was enforced last year due to visa problems for international students. It stops international students 'registering' with the University in order to get into the UK, then going and finding a job or work instead of attending, which is illegal :yep:
    Oh right, that makes sense :ahee: Is it something happening at all UK uni's then or just where you are? :holmes:
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    Oh right, that makes sense :ahee: Is it something happening at all UK uni's then or just where you are? :holmes:
    Well, all Unis are required to do it I think :curious: . There was a situation a couple of years ago when the police rescinded the visa rights of a London University because it was found to be being abused. There was an outcry as it damaged legitimate students as well as the fraudulent ones and I think this came about because of it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Wow. Soon there will be a year 5 thread .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.