?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A friend's coworker's son was the British baby boy that was onboard. So sad.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oooh so what if more pilots decide to commit suicide (while flying)
Pies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it is a case if suicide it's sad that the co-pilot felt in such a position but I honestly can't understand how someone could commit such a horrific and selfish act and take hundreds of innocent lives as well as their own.

I can imagine the passengers would have seen the pilot try to re-enter the cockpit which would have caused panic earlier than just before impact. Terrible thought. Poor poor people

Posted from TSR Mobile
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Terrible to hear the latest developments. Particularly terrible that a security measure introduced after 9/11 intending to keep people safe has been exploited to the detriment of the victims.

How can they get around this one? Maybe introducing (for the pilots only) a second cockpit access code that guarantees entry without putting the entry request to anyone already occupying the cockpit? But guaranteeing entry would reduce security... so sad.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
Oooh so what if more pilots decide to commit suicide (while flying)
It's not an altogether new phenomenon... the case of MS990 makes for interesting reading. It's not something which someone at the point of suicide who also happens to work as a commercial pilot would have to boggle his/her brains to come up with.
VotreAltesse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phillips98)
However this might be due to the timing of the main pilot going to the toilet. It's a worrying prospect; how many people like this are in and working within the public sector? Do they start this unstable or is it environmental?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should real Durkheim and Anomic Suicide ... very interesting stuff.
VotreAltesse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pies)
If it is a case if suicide it's sad that the co-pilot felt in such a position but I honestly can't understand how someone could commit such a horrific and selfish act and take hundreds of innocent lives as well as their own.

I can imagine the passengers would have seen the pilot try to re-enter the cockpit which would have caused panic earlier than just before impact. Terrible thought. Poor poor people

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sick to the stomach ... I almost threw my lunch up listening to the reports ...

I can't understand it either, I don't think anyone can ...
phillips98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VotreAltesse)
You should real Durkheim and Anomic Suicide ... very interesting stuff.
Looking good so far, thank you! Will provide an interesting read

Posted from TSR Mobile
VotreAltesse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phillips98)
Looking good so far, thank you! Will provide an interesting read

Posted from TSR Mobile

Enjoy !
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tragic and senseless loss of innocent lives. Thoughts and condolences go out to all of the families concerned.

Some consolation is that death came instantaneously but the terror is beyond imagination.

The unfolding story of this incident is lending more credibility to the Malaysian MH370 loss as a deliberate act of suicide on one of the pilots parts.

I guess the authorities will now be crawling all over the GW crew and passenger list backgrounds and personal details in search of a motive and to rule out collaboration.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Until the events of 11 September 2001, most passenger aircraft had a flimsy door between the cockpit and the cabin. The 9/11 terrorists, armed with blades that they had taken through security, were able easily to access the flight deck and kill the pilots to take control.

After the terrorist attacks, airlines began to install reinforced doors, designed to be intruder-proof and bullet-proof. A key-code system is designed to allow cabin crew to gain entry in the event that the pilots are incapacitated. But an override switch - effectively a deadlock - can be engaged on the flight deck. When activated, the door cannot be opened from the outside for a pre-set length of time between five and 20 minutes.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...10135713.html?

It's horrible to think that anti-terrorist measures like these are what managed to lock out the pilot from the cockpit, leaving the co-pilot to do as he wished. Really sad news that makes you feel sick to the stomach.

(Original post by Pies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right - this probably would have caused a lot of panic. It must be extremely distressing to see the pilot of the plane you're on mid-flight unable to get into the cockpit. Although, the black box recording suggests the passengers were unaware of their fate until just before impact because only then were screams heard. This whole event is just catastrophic in every way.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Might be a lone crazed individual like Brevik or Elliot Rodger.

These are one of the biggest challenges now because at least with organised terrorism there is more of a chance of security services and intelligence finding out what they are doing and stopping their plans. If it is a sole actor who is planning in secret then there's no reason for the security services to be on to them.
captainofmydream
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
''Co-Pilot Andreas L., 28 Jahre, wohnhaft in Montabaur (Elternhaus), Zweitwohnsitz in Düsseldorf.
Die Presse steht bereits vor dem Elternhaus in Montabaur.''

He was apparently still living with his parents. Not unusual with pilots, many of them face huge debts after graduating.
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On BBC news now an interview with a Germanwings high up, CO I think, is saying that the pilot did not try and enter the code which would alert the co-pilot to him wanting access. However this reply seems slightly weird, as he goes on about the co-pilot being able to pull this lever to lock the door for 5 minutes, so not sure if he's saying he did that and the pilot didn't even try the code as he knew this already?
VotreAltesse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by captainofmydream)
''Co-Pilot Andreas L., 28 Jahre, wohnhaft in Montabaur (Elternhaus), Zweitwohnsitz in Düsseldorf.
Die Presse steht bereits vor dem Elternhaus in Montabaur.''

He was apparently still living with his parents. Not unusual with pilots, many of them face huge debts after graduating.

Doesn't everyone
shawn_o1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)

These are one of the biggest challenges now because at least with organised terrorism there is more of a chance of security services and intelligence finding out what they are doing and stopping their plans. If it is a sole actor who is planning in secret then there's no reason for the security services to be on to them.
Could well see the rise of "lone wolf terrorism" or pilots training to be so just to crash a plane with 150+ people on board
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)

My first thoughts were another Anders Brevik action too.

Terrorists learn quickly and we are increasingly seeing them resorting to stealth tactics to keep under the proverbial authorities radar to avoid detection.

It's the equivalent of crime going underground and determined individuals will always find a way.

The rest of us are left playing catch up.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
On BBC news now an interview with a Germanwings high up, CO I think, is saying that the pilot did not try and enter the code which would alert the co-pilot to him wanting access. However this reply seems slightly weird, as he goes on about the co-pilot being able to pull this lever to lock the door for 5 minutes, so not sure if he's saying he did that and the pilot didn't even try the code as he knew this already?
Yes, he's saying the cockpit deadlock was activated deliberately by the co-pilot.

There is a deadlock (operated only from inside the cockpit), which overrides the cabin-side key entry system for a set period of up to 20 minutes.

This is to deny terrorists entry to the cockpit in the event that the cabin crew other than the pilots are compromised. The risk factor being a passenger-terrorist threat was more likely than deliberate crew-terrorist action given the increased vetting and controls placed on pilots and cabin crew.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the co pilot was Andreas Lubitz.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germanwi...itz-1427370009
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads