What do you think a feminist is? Watch

CottageCheese
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Implication)
The existence of "big differences" between genders doesn't justify discrimination. People can be treated differently based upon their characteristics - some of which may be associated with their gender or biological sex - but they should not be treated differently explicitly because of their gender/sex. For example, men are on average stronger than women... However, if you are employing someone for a role in which physical strength is necessary, this is actually irrelevant: you should simply employ the strongest person, regardless of whether they are male or female. The fact that a man is "more likely" to be strong is completely irrelevant if you have the candidates in front of you and can actually determine who is stronger!
Yes it does, put a female Rugby team against a male team and see what happens. Men and women are not the same, they have to be treated in a certain way due to physical and emotional differences. Your point about employment is irrelevant to the discussion about a social situations, and also false, women have the same employment rights as men, even more in some cases, in a lot of places they are forced to hire a certain number of women to be employed even if a male is better suited to the job.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CottageCheese)
Yes it does, put a female Rugby team against a male team and see what happens. Men and women are not the same, they have to be treated in a certain way due to physical and emotional differences. Your point about employment is irrelevant to the discussion about a social situations, and also false, women have the same employment rights as men, even more in some cases, in a lot of places they are forced to hire a certain number of women to be employed even if a male is better suited to the job.
This discussion isn't just about social situations? You said that you don't know why the movement is still alive, but there is plenty of discrimination happening socially and professionally.
CottageCheese
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by estel)
This discussion isn't just about social situations? You said that you don't know why the movement is still alive, but there is plenty of discrimination happening socially and professionally.
Like what
joyce-diana
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MarriageSucks)
The dictionary definition of a feminism is "advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men."

However, men and women are biologically different, so equality is impossible.

Men and women have equal rights in the West, so modern feminism fights for things like reducing or stopping:

- the "wage gap" (men earn more than women)
- the "glass ceiling"
- "rape culture"
- sexual harassment of women
- violence towards women

Modern feminism also wants to remove judgement of promiscuous women, and encourages women into education and careers rather than being traditional housewives who rely on a breadwinning man.

Feminists also seem to believe that men are "privileged" and create a "Patriarchy" that "oppresses" women.

This is symptomatic of the nasty undercurrent of misandry within feminism, in which men are to blame for all the problems of the world while women are always innocent victims.

I disagree with what modern feminists are fighting for.

There is strong evidence that the "wage gap" is primarily due to differences between men and women: men benefit more from gaining wealth and status, and are more prone to risk-taking and obsessive focus.

There is no "rape culture" in the West. The idea that we should "teach boys not to rape" is absolutely ridiculous: we already know not to rape and there is complete condemnation of rape in society. However, feminists need to keep the gravy train coming, so must pretend that men are all horrible rapists-in-waiting so they keep getting lots of funding even though it isn't necessary.

"Sexual harassment" is because women are far more reproductively valuable than men. Complaining that they have to reject lots of thirsty men is like a millionaire complaining that he has to reject lots of homeless people pestering him for money. Sure it's annoying, but the millionaire is far more privileged than the homeless people. No amount of feminism is going to stop women receiving sexual attention.

We should fight for the end of violence towards anyone, not just end violence towards women.

Modern feminists in the West are the most privileged, spoilt, entitled group of women to ever live, yet think they are somehow "oppressed" and deserve special treatment and benefits - while ignoring the actual oppression of women in other parts of the world, because it's not politically correct to criticise other races or religions.

Some of them want to ban page three, stop fat-shaming (only for women not men), stop slut-shaming, shame normal male behaviours, and enforce quotas for women in business and politics.

Modern feminism can only exist while the state forces a large transfer of wealth from men to women, while men with guns keep the streets safe and force men to pay up.

Unfortunately for them, men are getting fed up of being considered "privileged oppressors" who should "man up" and comply with women's wishes, regardless of what women offer the men. There are also serious demographic consequences to the majority of women avoiding marriage and children while they are younger, and I think more traditional cultures will return because they are the ones having children.

Feminism was funded by the richest, most powerful males, because it makes them richer (women get careers > women have more disposable income > women spend more money) and more powerful (women are easily manipulated into voting for more government).

Tldr: equality of opportunity for everyone regardless of gender, race, sexuality, age = egalitarianism = good

Modern feminism = privileged women who claim to be oppressed and demonising men while creating a totalitarian state = bad

Agree with this 100% and I'm a girl.
Feminism is not "feminism" nowadays , it's more "greedy western women". Many of these women have highly paid jobs( aiming at celebs mainly), yet they want more. Tsk tsk.
I also get confused with these "feminists" who wear very little of clothing, going under plastic surgery. And walking around like a harlot- to please men, these men who are criticised for being horny demons! They can't be compared to someone like Malala, a young girl in Asia who had to get shot on the head just to get young girls like her to be allowed to go to school. Western women were able to school ever since the native Americans were kicked outbid their own country. This world is full of selfish people.
Of course, there are women on the west who are domestically abused and raped and they have EVERY RIGHT to fight for their right as women. But only them, not those money hungry sluts
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CottageCheese)
Yes it does, put a female Rugby team against a male team and see what happens.
What does that have to do with anything?

Men and women are not the same,
Agreed.

they have to be treated in a certain way due to physical and emotional differences.
But this is just bizarre. People have to be treated differently due to physical and emotional differences. When you meet a person, you treat them how you do because of their physical and emotional characteristics: you shouldn't be trying to second guess these characteristics by relying on vague sex-based prejudices.

Your point about employment is irrelevant to the discussion about a social situations
It's not irrelevant: it's an example I used to clarify what I meant about treating people individually. If you have a person in front of you and can interview them right there and then, there is just absolutely no need to rely on gender stereotypes.

and also false

I don't see how a hypothetical example can be "false".

women have the same employment rights as men, even more in some cases, in a lot of places they are forced to hire a certain number of women to be employed even if a male is better suited to the job.
I know. The fact that women have the same legal rights doesn't necessarily mean they aren't still discriminated against though... but that's not really the point and I have absolutely no idea whether sex-based discrimination is a significant force in employment anyway.
CottageCheese
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Implication)
But this is just bizarre. People have to be treated differently due to physical and emotional differences. When you meet a person, you treat them how you do because of their physical and emotional characteristics: you shouldn't be trying to second guess these characteristics by relying on vague sex-based prejudices.
It is not a prejudice, its a simple biological fact. Men and women look different, have different physical capabilities, we also think and process our emotions differently due to hormonal differences.

If you observe how men talk to each other, how women talk to each other, then observe how they are when the opposite sexes interact you'll see differences in voice tone, body language, all sorts of things. I don't really think this is a social construct either, I believe it is built within our instincts to respond differently to the opposite gender.

Some of the things that come from this can be argued as bad, some of it can be seen as good, either way as long neither party is breaking the law there shouldn't be such a big deal made about it.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dyslexicvegie)
Hello there people!

I have just watched Free Speech on BBC3 and a successful British Female Entrepreneur insisted she was not a feminist but was all for women's rights.

Also recent Threads, I have noticed in the relationship section, have been discussing the suitability of women who identify as feminists for marriage.(though that is not the purpose of this thread)

I know many people who identify as feminists have different ideas about how to act on it ( no more page 3 Vs women should have that job opportunity etc)

For me Feminism means, I believe in equal rights and opportunities for men and women in all things. That doesn't seem so controversial. But identifying as a feminist seems to be.

So that got me thinking, is feminism generally regarded differently to how I would describe it?

So what does feminism mean to you? Has feminism become a dirty word? Does it seem aggressive or sexist? Has feminism lost the plot? Where are all the male feminists?

Plz no hate.
I am interested in your thoughts. Thank you xx
Its like UKIP, there are the right wing nationalists who are part of it, there are the normal UKIP members and then there are people who identify with some of their views but wouldn't say they are for UKIP.

That is the radical feminists, feminist and person who sympathizes with some of their views in a nutshell.

I think the problem with feminism as a label is that it has the word "fem" aka "female" in it, its not a gender neutral word. The other thing is feminists always presume that things are not equal and we need to improve women, they are never fighting for men's rights only women's.

I'm one of those guys who is for equality, but doesn't like the word feminist.
quads1992
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A feminist is a woman who claims 'sexism' to justify her own shortcomings and failures, and blames them on someone else.(usually men)
Laura393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I personally identify as a feminist, and I think generally that a feminism who is someone seeking to promote gender equality, and tackling issues based on issues due to the patriarchy. I also recognise that men and women are afflicted with gender issues, however also am aware how women are mainly affected. Feminism however covers a very large scope of people, and so those who identify as feminists have different priorities in terms of ways that they or others are affected by gender issues. One thing that is important to keep in mind that because of this large scope of people who identify as feminists, it is a very diverse social movement, and feminism can mean different things to people perhaps based on their faith, ethinicity, cultural background etc... and this diversity is fantastic.
Another thing to keep in mind (aimed at those who are convinced feminists are misandrists and 'ugly' and 'lonely') is that maybe you have met a few extreme feminists, or you are from the early 20th century, and are still thoroughly convinced that feminists are unruly, and husband-less, but I can assure that is no way the majority, or anyone I have ever met!! What is important personally to me as a woman, is that I will not be paid as much as a male in a similar job role to me, I feel unsafe out in public when it is dark, and have to be walked home after a night out or text a friend to say that I am home, women in the media are poorly misrepresented, etc, and as Christian personally, although not part of the Church of England I still found the looong wait for women to be bishops frustrating.
Laura393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by quads1992)
A feminist is a woman who claims 'sexism' to justify her own shortcomings and failures, and blames them on someone else.(usually men)
Wow. That is totally depressing that you think that.
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by joyce-diana)
Agree with this 100% and I'm a girl.
Feminism is not "feminism" nowadays , it's more "greedy western women". Many of these women have highly paid jobs( aiming at celebs mainly), yet they want more. Tsk tsk.
I also get confused with these "feminists" who wear very little of clothing, going under plastic surgery. And walking around like a harlot- to please men, these men who are criticised for being horny demons! They can't be compared to someone like Malala, a young girl in Asia who had to get shot on the head just to get young girls like her to be allowed to go to school. Western women were able to school ever since the native Americans were kicked outbid their own country. This world is full of selfish people.
Of course, there are women on the west who are domestically abused and raped and they have EVERY RIGHT to fight for their right as women. But only them, not those money hungry sluts
So I don't have the right to stand up for the oppressed unless I have been oppressed myself ?
Malala was already going to school when she was shot - that was why she was shot - she didn't get shot in order to go to school. Unfortunately her former classmates still face the danger of being shot.

I don't need to be sexually assaulted in order the HAVE the RIGHT to campaign on women's issues. Plus I also have the right to where the clothing I want to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads