Labour wants to let 16 & 17 year olds vote? Watch

ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lots of people on here are no better than the land owners of old scared of giving the landless the vote in case they vote against their favor.

You can't deny a segment of the population the vote in case they vote a way you do not agree with.
HigherMinion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hotshot45)
Are you trying to be philosophical suggesting facts are nothing but an illusion created by society? This is true to an extent but more so for big left wing- Marxist ideologies which are impose by government will up onto a nation, and use propaganda to make people believe the facts they want them to. In a middle right free market, this is not the case.
No, I was mocking Marxists. Chin up.
hotshot45
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HigherMinion)
No, I was mocking Marxists. Chin up.
Maybe you should learn to articulate yourself better.
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seemed obvious to me. Maybe you should get diagnosed as autistic
hotshot45
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
Studied a science subject at a top 5 university and have a job at a top finance firm.

I also have some friends in the psychology circle that can educate you on what it means to be Autistic and how you can cope with your insecurities.
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Studied a science subject at a top 5 university and have a job at a top finance firm.

I also have some friends in the psychology circle that can educate you on what it means to be Autistic and how you can cope with your insecurities.
Maybe you should ask them yourself. Many autistic people work in the sciences. It actually reinforces what I said.
MazWalmsley
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I go to a well regarded grammar school and am in year 11 (so the majority of the pupils in my year are 16).
Recently we had a political discussion and the lack of knowledge of 90% of the class was shocking! I really don't think lowering the voting age is such a good idea.
hotshot45
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe you should ask them yourself. Many autistic people work in the sciences. It actually reinforces what I said.
You must be an exceptionally talented individual, in a few sentences on an online forum you believe you can diagnose someone with Autism, it takes psychologists years of study and hours of testing face to face to make such a diagnosis.

In any event, if you wish to conclude that those with a stronger comprehension for logic than yourself makes them autistic, go ahead...
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You must be an exceptionally talented individual, in a few sentences on an online forum you believe you can diagnose someone with Autism, it takes psychologists years of study and hours of testing face to face to make such a diagnosis.

In any event, if you wish to conclude that those with a stronger comprehension for logic than yourself makes them autistic, go ahead...
Again with the autism. I don't mean you literally have autism, although your literalist tendencies are not doing much to counter that view.

Stronger comprehension for logic? You can't even detect a metaphor.
hotshot45
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Again with the autism. I don't mean you literally have autism, although your literalist tendencies are not doing much to counter that view.

Stronger comprehension for logic? You can't even detect a metaphor.
I'm too busy for this.

Have a read through my responses to your posts again, they might do you some good..

Good luck.
whorace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm too busy for this.

Have a read through my responses to your posts again, they might do you some good..

Good luck.

Good luck
41b
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Facts are a social, patriarchal and oppressive construct.
Get your facts right!!!! :mad:
HigherMinion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Da. I'm not one to be subtle. Hilarious little conversation that misunderstanding sparked, though. Let the buttmad flow through you. This thread is dead anyway.

(Original post by 41b)
Get your facts right!!!! :mad:
>muh white cis-het normative vitri-patriarchy! Smash civilisation!

Better?
41b
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Da. I'm not one to be subtle. Hilarious little conversation that misunderstanding sparked, though. Let the buttmad flow through you. This thread is dead anyway.

>muh white cis-het normative vitri-patriarchy! Smash civilisation!

Better?
Your LACK of original consideration SHOWS your SEXIST, RACIST, OFFENSIVE ethnoCENTRIC!!!!!! 1950s UNRECONSTRUCTED THATCHERITE heart. :mad:
MrJAKEE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think this is one of Labour's more idiotic and populist policies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Only VAT. At 16, you can work full time
Nope. You can pay virtually any tax at any age. It's a matter of income, not age.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Lots of people on here are no better than the land owners of old scared of giving the landless the vote in case they vote against their favor.

You can't deny a segment of the population the vote in case they vote a way you do not agree with.
Fair enough. I'd deny them a vote because I think they lack judgement.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Fair enough. I'd deny them a vote because I think they lack judgement.
That isn't for you decide, so called liberal.
Friar Chris
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For whom is it to decide, then? By your statement I presume we can't decide on the unsuitability of an 8 year old to vote, either?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, it is precisely for me to decide. Given that human beings are the only rational arbiters of moral questions, there is in fact no-one better placed to decide it.

Since we all - barring perhaps some loopy sorts on the fringes - agree that an age must be set somewhere, I choose to set it roughly where it is. If anything, I'd probably be more inclined to listen to arguments to raise it rather than lower it.
TrentAlistar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree that 16yr olds should get the vote. We can get a job, get married with parental consent and join the army (despite the fact they can't actually do any fighting yet). What happens now in politics will affect us later and presently ; whether we are put into more debt nationally or whether social welfare is cut. Also the government controls education and curriculum for example currently exams are getting harder because of polices put into practice by the conservative party and people have to stay in schools for longer. If people think that people at this age they aren't knowledgeable enough to be able to make comprehensive and informed choices between parties then maybe they should teach UK politics in schools rather than the compulsory citizenship lessons in which we learn nothing of use. Also some 18yr olds aren't mature enough yet they still have the vote. There is one 18yr old in my Maths class and fifteen 16yr olds. All the 16yr olds knew who they would vote for if they could vote and had an opinion on the parties. The one 18yr old said he wasn't going to vote today because he didn't understand politics. Admittedly some 16yr olds aren't mature enough to vote and they either wouldn't vote or would let their parents use their postal vote but at least we would have a better representation of the people who live in the UK. That's just my opinion though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads