Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist Watch

claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gur123)
Hi I going to be starting my adult nursing course in April 2016, I heard that the course consists of written exams, does that mean they will be multiple choice exams or do you have to actually write the answer down? I get really nervous and anxious when it comes to exams . I was also wondering what type of assignments questions do they give you?
Thank you
It depends on the uni, it could be both MCQ's and written exams. Depending on what's causing your anxiety you're uni might be able to give you exam adjustments so you get a seperate room or something like that so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by futurechildnurse)
Hey Hun, Oh I am sorry to hear that and oh wow done, hope it goes well! Please let me know how you get on. I have just started my training for the job, so I haven't really came face to face with my clients yet, although I know what they look like (shown pics) and know their personalities, which is good to know. I very much doubt that you will have to reapply next year! I am hoping that my volunteering (youth group and potentially hospital) & my job pays off and makes them think I am a good candidate.

Will you be working with adults or children with LD? If I am honest I have thought about LD nursing but I have always wanted to work with children!

xxx
Just a little note....
With ld nursing you can work with both adults and children....

Posted from TSR Mobile
futurechildnurse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by deviant182)
Just a little note....
With ld nursing you can work with both adults and children....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh,ok. Thank you for that information. Learning disability nursing is going to be my back up then if I don't get any offers/a place on a children's nursing course!
ChancedTravels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh,ok. Thank you for that information. Learning disability nursing is going to be my back up then if I don't get any offers/a place on a children's nursing course!
I think LD tends to be more often in clearing, as not as many people apply for it/don't realise it's even an option so is a really solid alternative I think

Good luck sending your app off, I've been checking track like 5 times a day and it's driving me mad already haha!
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChancedTravels)
I think LD tends to be more often in clearing, as not as many people apply for it/don't realise it's even an option so is a really solid alternative I think

Good luck sending your app off, I've been checking track like 5 times a day and it's driving me mad already haha!
Yeah,LD nursing does tend to be in clearing a lot more! As I could do the LD disability degree then in the future go onto do an 18 month children's nursing degree, as then I have both of those degrees behind me, making it easier for me to get a job!

Thank you! My reference still hasn't be written yet,so still waiting for that! Aww,luckily for me I won't be at home for 2/3 days a week so I wont have the opportunity to keep checking it!
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by saima_97)
i am thinking of applying for Adult Nursing and was wondering what advice would you give regarding research so i can be prepared for my interviews. Also would you recommend travelling to university or staying in halls.
Halls- all the way! One of the best experiences of my life was living in halls at university and definitely made me grow up as a person and nurse.

Secondly research- well think about the francis report- what does that say? Look into the NMC Code, maybe even peruse the shape of caring report and five year forward plan.
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello!

Can't believe I have just sent off my application for UCAS!! Feeling physically sick and nervous now.
lilibet01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah,LD nursing does tend to be in clearing a lot more! As I could do the LD disability degree then in the future go onto do an 18 month children's nursing degree, as then I have both of those degrees behind me, making it easier for me to get a job!

Thank you! My reference still hasn't be written yet,so still waiting for that! Aww,luckily for me I won't be at home for 2/3 days a week so I wont have the opportunity to keep checking it!
Good luck with your application but bear in mind that conversion courses are few and far between.
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As from my above post it states I only sent off my application yesterday and already received an offer for an interview!!
PaediatricStN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As from my above post it states I only sent off my application yesterday and already received an offer for an interview!!
Well done!!!
futurechildnurse
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PaediatricStN)
Well done!!!
Thank you, I am thrilled to at least get an interview!! Also thank you for all the help with it.
Rosie2003
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone applied to Teesside Uni for Sept 2016 and received invite to interview yet? I hate this waiting! :-/
Andy71
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What material is on the numeracy test for midwifery ? I'm thinking the basics percentages fractions decimals etc or are there weight and volume drug calculations ? Do I need to revise this? I've got an interview for uclan next wed.. And I can't get in the snap website
soontobemidwife
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the test really aren't hard , you get asked about 8 -11 questions depending on what uni and the questions are usually about time and measurements so don't stress out
Andy71
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Had couple of interviews .. Felt it went well but it's hard to know what they are looking for ... They say that no news is good news and they let the no's kniw first !! Any idea how fast this happens???...waiting game again ha ha
Felix_felicis
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to bother you. But I'm hoping someone could help? This probably sounds so silly but i am in the midst of applying through UCAS for nursing. I'm Scottish (hence later application too!) but i would love to study in England. Just one query. Can anyone tell me whether Scottish students studying in England get the same bursary and fees paid?? Sorry again for troubling everyone.
Thank you in advance. 😊
pollypokit_x
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi all,

Third year (almost finished!) MH Student nurse here also if you need any advice/guidance ask away
pollypokit_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MAP123)
Hi as a nude do you deal with dead bodies? I want to do child nursing but I cannot deal with dead bodies

You'll probably see more deaths doing Adult nursing, I was only on one adult placement in my first year of MH nursing for 4 weeks and experienced 2 deaths.. Especially if you're on a stroke/respiratory ward/or oncology wards. Even then, however, you may not have to deal with the 'dead bodies' as normally the registered nurses do the last offices..

Mental health - death does happen on the wards but is somewhat uncommon, as checks are done often on patients and risk assessments in place etc to ensure patients are as safe as possible.. I'm yet to experience a death and I'm nearly finished my course! Some near-misses though.

Children's nursing doesn't see much death unless you do loads of cancer/end of life care placements.
pollypokit_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Felix_felicis)
Hi there,

I'm really sorry to bother you. But I'm hoping someone could help? This probably sounds so silly but i am in the midst of applying through UCAS for nursing. I'm Scottish (hence later application too!) but i would love to study in England. Just one query. Can anyone tell me whether Scottish students studying in England get the same bursary and fees paid?? Sorry again for troubling everyone.
Thank you in advance. 😊
This won't be much help but a bit of direction: Call some universities and ask - most are very friendly and know their stuff very well it would take you all of 10 minutes to do then you'll know!
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pollypokit_x)
You'll probably see more deaths doing Adult nursing, I was only on one adult placement in my first year of MH nursing for 4 weeks and experienced 2 deaths.. Especially if you're on a stroke/respiratory ward/or oncology wards. Even then, however, you may not have to deal with the 'dead bodies' as normally the registered nurses do the last offices..

Mental health - death does happen on the wards but is somewhat uncommon, as checks are done often on patients and risk assessments in place etc to ensure patients are as safe as possible.. I'm yet to experience a death and I'm nearly finished my course! Some near-misses though.

Children's nursing doesn't see much death unless you do loads of cancer/end of life care placements.
I expect my students to participate in all aspects of nursing that they can. This includes last offices, it's an important part of nursing care.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads