If you're earning less than £30,000 per year you may as well be on the dole PROOF! Watch

Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by M1011)
Edit: Just realised you aren't the person I was originally speaking to. I'm not sure what your position is, do you agree with Quady that people can't live on £35k in London on their own?

If so, here's 400+ reasons why you'd be wrong, all posted in the last 14 days.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...Type=long_term
Have you seen how many of those are house shares or in croyden?
M1011
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
No I think they can live in London comfortably on £35k. I see plenty of people who do.

But they have compromised on something. Whether it's living in a house-share, living in a studio, living further out, living in somewhere that is a "rougher area".

I get the sense that people on here who think that people can't, are those who likely to spend a high amount of their non-disposable income on luxuries and non-essentials and want it all (3 bed house, prime location etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool - I agree.

(Original post by Quady)
On their own in London? £750.

Happy to be advised otherwise, which is why I've asked twice where it can be done.
I don't know how you've equated a £35k income to a £750 rent budget? You could literally double that, or comfortably go up to 1,100+

(Original post by Quady)
Have you seen how many of those are house shares or in croyden?
The point is, there's stuff there. You can find a place in most places in London at that price, not just Croydon (which despite being grim is nevertheless a 15 minute trip to multiple central London stations).
thisistheend
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T.I.P)
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

your argument is flawed if the person who has a stable job at £30k a year gets a mortgage.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even if we accept your figures for somebody earning 25k a year (which is significantly less than you specified in the thread title), since you said you had proof that it's no better than being on the dole, I thought you would at least give us the comparative figures for somebody on the dole? Cos I'm pretty sure they don't get to live in 700 ppm places and still have 1000 quid left over to spend on bills, food, clothes and travelling.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I lived in a £700 room before; it's not that easy to find a secure and safe place really :erm:
T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by e aí rapaz)
Even if we accept your figures for somebody earning 25k a year (which is significantly less than you specified in the thread title), since you said you had proof that it's no better than being on the dole, I thought you would at least give us the comparative figures for somebody on the dole? Cos I'm pretty sure they don't get to live in 700 ppm places and still have 1000 quid left over to spend on bills, food, clothes and travelling.
When i can be anused i will provide links and equations to silence all lambs

Posted from TSR Mobile
glacier fruit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So glad I'm South Asian and it's not considered weird to live with my parents for however long I want to. Having no rent and free cooked food rules.
T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by glacier fruit)
So glad I'm South Asian and it's not considered weird to live with my parents for however long I want to. Having no rent and free cooked food rules.
What about wife and kids?

Posted from TSR Mobile
glacier fruit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T.I.P)
What about wife and kids?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I did get married, I assume my husband (I'm a straight woman) would sort out my living situation so we can have our life together. In any case, I'm saving for a deposit so I can buy a house I can eventually move into if I need to but rent out/ pay off mortgage whilst I'm still living with my parents.
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're on 30k in London then you will struggle to survive, but you're paying back into the system for your NHS and emergency services and so on. Move outside of London if you're on that, and get up early and cycle or take the train, it'll cost a lot still, but you'll be saving a hella amount on rent! I'd say anything below 60k and you're in the same position, just personal experience etho
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I'm self employed and on a single income, and can easily survive on £30k and I live in central London (zone 2). I enjoy a lot of luxuries in life too. The only things that are slightly unique for me is my mortgage is cheap for London standards, but that's only where interest rates are so low at the moment. I also don't pay as much NI contributions, but even taking those things into consideration, I wouldn't consider it a struggle. But maybe I just have fairly low expectations on what to spend my disposable income on (although many would say what I do spend is fairly extravagant at the same time).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pension contributions?
30k pre income tax?
ahpadt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are clearly lots of people in here who probably haven't even moved out of mummy and daddies house or student dorm yet. Outside London £30k is loads of money to be living on, even if you want to have your own flat. If you want your own flat in London £30k isn't much at all, unless you are willing to live in the sticks or in something with low(er) standards. If you have a couple of friends you want to share with in London you'll be fine.
A friend of mine who lives in Yate outside Bristol lives in a 4 bed house which costs as much to rent as my 1 bed flat in London.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ahpadt)
There are clearly lots of people in here who probably haven't even moved out of mummy and daddies house or student dorm yet. Outside London £30k is loads of money to be living on, even if you want to have your own flat. If you want your own flat in London £30k isn't much at all, unless you are willing to live in the sticks or in something with low(er) standards. If you have a couple of friends you want to share with in London you'll be fine.
A friend of mine who lives in Yate outside Bristol lives in a 4 bed house which costs as much to rent as my 1 bed flat in London.
Not the point of the thread though is it?
Ladymusiclover
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really, my mum managed and we lived in London.
Iand186
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My figures 410 mortgage or 600 for renting same placeCouncil 103 inc 25% off lone occupancy105 maintenance for 1 bed flat25 water35 phone120 gas electric and internet13 tv license 40 petrol40 car insurance This doesn't include child maintenance I'm on 30k per year, his figures are pretty good.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iand186)
My figures 410 mortgage or 600 for renting same placeCouncil 103 inc 25% off lone occupancy105 maintenance for 1 bed flat25 water35 phone120 gas electric and internet13 tv license 40 petrol40 car insurance This doesn't include child maintenance I'm on 30k per year, his figures are pretty good.
A year late
mansnothotskrrr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
costs a lot of money to rent a pitch tho
Mark444444444444
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lets say your renting a house? Why would a single person rent a house?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mark444444444444)
Lets say your renting a house? Why would a single person rent a house?
.....as opposed to flat share with randomers?

To be able to masterbate in the lounge whenever you fancy?
Mark444444444444
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quady)
.....as opposed to flat share with randomers?

To be able to masterbate in the lounge whenever you fancy?
Lol..naturally..if your a female
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads