If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose? Watch

ToBeHeard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I chose English Lit, History, Classical Civilisation and Law (the last one because I had too -.-), I'm now nearing the end of A2 and if I could go back and choose again I'd keep the first three, and pick Art instead of Law. Then I'd have continued Art through A2 instead of English.
ErinBliss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did History, Sociology and Geography. I'd have still chosen history but replace the other two with Economics and Psychology. Pursuing a degree in politics + IR this year, I think that this combination will be more enriching and helpful for me. Anyhow, past is past and I did not regret my subject choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
secretgoldfish_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I chose History, Biology, Law and Psychology but if I could turn back time I'd have stayed with History and Law but chosen Economics and Politics instead of Biology and Psychology
kaboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Psychology, English Language, Media: Communication and Production and Fine Art at AS currently. I'm probably going to be redoing this year because Media and Art were the biggest mistakes I could have made. People really underestimate coursework subjects (they're harder than they seem) and universities don't really like them either, unless you're going into something art related. I'm also doing loads better in English and Psychology. I'm thinking about starting again at another college and doing English Language A2, Classical Civilisation AS, Criminology AS and Forensic Science AS.
bluebluebear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jedi Master Yoda)
I keep thinking about what A level music would have been like but I did further maths instead. I'm taking a music diploma though which is technically higher than a level, you could do that if you passed grade 8.
I started Music A Level too at the beginning of the year, but couldn't really cope with 5 AS Levels :blushing: - that said, I regret not taking it anymore since I really enjoyed it!
ChemicalBond
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I didn't get to sit the subjects I wanted to because my secondary school MAJORLY screwed me over. I did maths, further maths, chemistry and history when out of that lot I only wanted to do chemistry and maths. If I had my time at sixth form again, I would firstly say "you're not ****ing me over again" to my old school, then, at the sixth form I went to, pick the three sciences and maths like I intended.
AgNO3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did sciences. Would have picked English Lit, Media, History and Photography instead. STEM wasn't the way to go, earning too much money now.
DarkMagic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I chose Economics, History, Irish and Applied ICT. I would keep Economics and History and then pick two subjects from Biology, Business Studies and Applied ICT based on what the timetable would allow.
SmashConcept
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since I work in the trades, I would probably do some kind of apprenticeship instead and not do any A levels. My actual choices were biology, chemistry, psychology, history to AS, and then a degree in biochemistry.

I don't think I would be capable of/interested in the subjects required to do a degree in engineering, but if there were a Btech in computer aided design or something then maybe I would do that.
MariaJade
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and German. Dropped Psych for A2. If I could go back I would NEVER have picked German. Loved chem and bio, but I wish I'd have done physics instead of german.
pwnagee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Maths, Media Studies and Applied ICT.

I wish I did Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChemicalBond)
Well, I didn't get to sit the subjects I wanted to because my secondary school MAJORLY screwed me over. I did maths, further maths, chemistry and history when out of that lot I only wanted to do chemistry and maths. If I had my time at sixth form again, I would firstly say "you're not ****ing me over again" to my old school, then, at the sixth form I went to, pick the three sciences and maths like I intended.
Same here.

I wanted to take biology, chemistry, French and psychology.

But thanks to my piece of **** school no colleges would let me take A level sciences because I didn't have GCSE sciences only BTEC (my school got rid of GCSE sciences). So I ended up going down a different route and in the end took a foundation years at university to get back on track.
ChemicalBond
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Same here.

But thanks to my piece of **** school no colleges would let me take A level sciences because I didn't have GCSE sciences only BTEC (my school got rid of GCSE sciences). So I ended up going down a different route and in the end took a foundation years at university to get back on track.
Ah no, that's horrible! I hope things worked out for you in the end, though! What are you studying now?

Mine was because I was their top student and I wanted to stay there for many reasons (in hindsight, it was a silly move). Then on the first day of sixth form, they rang me up, told me I was "too bright for them", kicked me out (without consulting me) and I had to move. The next day, they changed biology and chemistry A levels to Applied Science BTEC and scrapped physics as a final kick in the teeth (and as I wanted to be a doctor or vet at the time, it was far from ideal). At the new school, biology was full, and something to do with timetables meant that I had to pick FM over physics and then I had a choice of English or history. Hated them both but hated English more so went with history. Thankfully things did work out. It took a major slump in confidence, several tears and lots of stress first, though!
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah no, that's horrible! I hope things worked out for you in the end, though! What are you studying now?

Mine was because I was their top student and I wanted to stay there for many reasons (in hindsight, it was a silly move). Then on the first day of sixth form, they rang me up, told me I was "too bright for them", kicked me out (without consulting me) and I had to move. The next day, they changed biology and chemistry A levels to Applied Science BTEC and scrapped physics as a final kick in the teeth (and as I wanted to be a doctor or vet at the time, it was far from ideal). At the new school, biology was full, and something to do with timetables meant that I had to pick FM over physics and then I had a choice of English or history. Hated them both but hated English more so went with history. Thankfully things did work out. It took a major slump in confidence, several tears and lots of stress first, though!
Eh it's not worked out that great, I've had to get into an extra university years worth of debt and still feel behind my peers.

Holy crap, that's ridiculous. They definitely should have given you way more notice. Wtf.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think I'd change the choices I made at the time because I played to my academic strengths at that point in my life (I've since become much better in certain subjects), my school didn't offer many choices and certain teachers put me off certain subjects because they just didn't explain things well.

But in an alternate universe, I would take Art, Biology, Classics and History of Art, maybe Chem at AS. I think it's sensible to take a mix of science/humanities because it keeps your options open for degree courses.

Nevertheless, I got into uni and took optional modules in Classics and Aesthetics during my degree and now I study Bio/Chem in my spare time, so ultimately, it doesn't matter but in retrospect a couple of sciences would have helped me out in my future pursuits (but I didn't have my crystal ball with me when I chose my A-Levels, damn it).
D O double g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do maths, further maths, additional further maths, chem, phys and computing.
wish i never picked computing tho, sooo booooring... Will defo drop it at end of AS tho.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Same here.

That's terrible!

Why did your school get rid of GCSE science?

You can guarantee this sort of **** doesn't happen at private schools.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Why would they kick out their brightest student? :confused:

I did maths physics chemistry and biology AS. I would probbaly pick the same again. Maybe replace biolgy with comp science, but comp wasn't available when I did my A -levels.
GreenPlum
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wishing I'd have done maths, physics, computing and either government or french instead of further maths, i'd have just done the AS :'(
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Bio, Chem, EngLit, Maths, Psych - wish I'd done French instead of Psych
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
12.5%
No (7)
87.5%

Watched Threads