How to stop people doing pointless degrees Watch

This discussion is closed.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
I know right. No one gives a damn about biology.

I'm self hating physicist :sad:
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
We are all trolls :troll:

That time we made made nukes. :teehee:
"all of the non sciences are useless to everyday people and should be discontinued, meaning while we're studying useless stuff out in space with no relevance to humanity and stubbornly insisting in studying crap like strings which don't even exist but we have to pretend they do to keep our tenure" -- typical physicist
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
"all of the non sciences are useless to everyday people and should be discontinued, meaning while we're studying useless stuff out in space with no relevance to humanity and stubbornly insisting in studying crap like strings which don't even exist but we have to pretend they do to keep our tenure" -- typical physicist.
What the hell did particle physics ever do for us uh?

First you assume all physicist or any physics related research is cosmology which is stupid. Secondly you are being as stupid as the people you claim to be rallying against. One of the faculty member of the uni I went o on an open day told us about being more concerned with research that had practice effects on humans like new medical tech and techniques. But she can only do that absed on the pure physics research of the past. You need both. You wouldnl;t have cat scans if it wasn;t for particle phsyics for example. You wouldn't have a whole heep of tech if it wasn't for Einstein and his space time stuff. As I'm sure the whole field of medical physics is a waste of time as well.

Also why is cosmology any less relevant that prating on about whether god exists? A lot of the interest on that subject is based around the same human interest on what the **** it all means.
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BioStudentx)
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.
You're doing biology; the renowned useless STEM degree. I don't think you're in a position to comment.

Also, Economics is infinitely more useful than Biology any day.

/thread.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm self hating physicist :sad:
Meanwhile chemists be like "gotta take over the world *****"

jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sheepmaster317)
Lol at the idea of Economics being a pointless degree.
And Biology being useful.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What the hell did particle physics ever do for us uh?

First you assume all physicist or any physics related research is cosmology which is stupid. Secondly you are being as stupid as the people you claim to be rallying against. One of the faculty member of the uni I went o on an open day told us about being more concerned with research that had practice effects on humans like new medical tech and techniques. But she can only do that absed on the pure physics research of the past. You need both. You wouldnl;t have cat scans if it wasn;t for particle phsyics for example. You wouldn't have a whole heep of tech if it wasn't for Einstein and his space time stuff. As I'm sure the whole field of medical physics is a waste of time as well.

Also why is cosmology any less relevant that prating on about whether god exists? A lot of the interest on that subject is based around the same human interest on what the **** it all means.
Before you posted i put a smiley on the end to show that i was being facetious.The point being that physicists partake in knowledge for knowledge's sake as well. Many of those cosmologists would scoff at the philosophers working on the highly technical arguments surrounds God's possible existence.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before you posted i put a smiley on the end to show that i was being facetious.The point being that physicists partake in knowledge for knowledge's sake as well. Many of those cosmologists would scoff at the philosophers working on the highly technical arguments surrounds God's possible existence.
Which make sit all ok does it :hmmm: "My best friend is black but" I see

physics_maths7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This thread made me laugh quite a bit I use to feel that some degrees lacked importance (there are a few which I still do) but just because they're pointless in your opinion doesn't make it fact. Furthermore people have different reasons for doing different courses so it isn't all black and white. I'm not at degree level yet so I'm not going to try and argue about things that I don't know enough about but if I had to sum this up in one statement: opinion is not fact.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yanyul)
I don't agree with you on this point.
English is not pointless.
English is a language and a way for us to have deep understandings of the English culture and history.
If you say English is pointless, then who is going to teach the future generation English and how will they communicate?

Also, I really dislike the fact you describe Psychology and Sociology as pointless degrees (Controlling my anger.)
Okay, it is your personal view point and I can't change the way you think. But I also would like to tell you that psychology, sociology and the subjects you mentioned ARE NOT pointless! They are there for a reason.
No offence but 99% of physicists are complete dicks when it comes to other subjects. Just look at Krauss and Hawkings embarrassing themselves when they try to take on philosophy, and philosophers are forced to school them on basic logic. It's like some tradition from Feynman or something.
Link?

Logic is a branch of maths so not sure how philosophers are owning physicists in their own game.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Link?

Logic is a branch of maths so not sure how philosophers are owning physicists in their own game.
There's no link to my hyperbolic statement, no. Unless you're talking about you're other quote, but i don't see any connection there.

If one is a branch of the other, then maths is arguably a branch of logic. Though the link between them breaks down because you can't form a complete explanation of maths from logic (and you'd have to use logic to prove that logic could be deduced from maths. Not only can't you do that but it'd be self defeating for obvious reasons.).

You misunderstood the point anyway, I'm not saying physicists get beaten at their own game, they don't use logic, they get beaten when they try to play other people's games but they're too arrogant to even realise it.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1.There's no link to my hyperbolic statement, no. Unless you're talking about you're other quote, but i don't see any connection there.

2.If one is a branch of the other, then maths is arguably a branch of logic. Though the link between them breaks down because you can't form a complete explanation of maths from logic (and you'd have to use logic to prove that logic could be deduced from maths. Not only can't you do that but it'd be self defeating for obvious reasons.).

3.You misunderstood the point anyway, I'm not saying physicists get beaten at their own game, they don't use logic, they get beaten when they try to play other people's games but they're too arrogant to even realise it.
1. You said philosophers schooled Hakwings and the other guy on logic. But did not offer a link/source. So it's not a fact.
2. No, it is not. You sort of get why when you say "you'd have to use logic to prove that logic could be deduced from maths". No, you don't. If maths is built from logic, all you need to do is ensure that all mathematical truths have an equivalent logical statement. About 100 years ago it was proved by a German mathematician/logician that it was not possible to ensure that.
3. My dear, every single field out there (philosophers included) has arrogant academics who try to play other people's games. The only difference is that star physicists like Hawkings get many of their statements echoed in the mainstream press and philosophers like Singer don't. Must be this quasi-religious admiration of maths and physics that gets any academic on that field get their words in stone even if they are BS.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no link to my hyperbolic statement, no. Unless you're talking about you're other quote, but i don't see any connection there.

If one is a branch of the other, then maths is arguably a branch of logic. Though the link between them breaks down because you can't form a complete explanation of maths from logic (and you'd have to use logic to prove that logic could be deduced from maths. Not only can't you do that but it'd be self defeating for obvious reasons.).

You misunderstood the point anyway, I'm not saying physicists get beaten at their own game, they don't use logic, they get beaten when they try to play other people's games but they're too arrogant to even realise it.
Humans can make all kinds of convoluted "logic", means diddly squat unless you can some how test it.
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not Stem or Oxbridge.
I'm a medic and i still think you're point is stupid. I strongly believe some degrees are worth more than others, are more useful and more beneficial to your future.
If you go and do an art degree and expect to come out after 3 years and be banksy or van gogh then you're a deluded idiot. So long as you're realistic about your degree and where you want and expect it to take you i don't think your degree is pointless if you enjoy it and have a positive university experience.
i do to an extent agree that if your degree won't pay you enough later to pay back the debt then perhaps it wasn't a good investment but tbh you can earn enough to pay it back working full time in ALDI so it's only the people who cba to get a job that never make enough to pay the loans back.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
1. You said philosophers schooled Hakwings and the other guy on logic. But did not offer a link/source. So it's not a fact.
2. No, it is not. You sort of get why when you say "you'd have to use logic to prove that logic could be deduced from maths". No, you don't. If maths is built from logic, all you need to do is ensure that all mathematical truths have an equivalent logical statement. About 100 years ago it was proved by a German mathematician/logician that it was not possible to ensure that.
3. My dear, every single field out there (philosophers included) has arrogant academics who try to play other people's games. The only difference is that star physicists like Hawkings get many of their statements echoed in the mainstream press and philosophers like Singer don't. Must be this quasi-religious admiration of maths and physics that gets any academic on that field get their words in stone even if they are BS.
1. Not on logic per se, but the use of logical reason. I refer you to the controversy between Krauss and Albert on a universe from nothing. You can google that **** yourself.

2. I never said the whole of maths was built from logic, my point was that the link between the two disciplines was partially severed by the mathematician I believe you're referring. It doesn't mean logic can't be used to prove a math theorem though.

3. I agree with this.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Humans can make all kinds of convoluted "logic", means diddly squat unless you can some how test it.
What? We can test logic and maths in the sense that, look at computers, look at bridges, this **** seems to work. You just can't prove it without making inductive or intuitive steps. Which is good enough.
Kuroneko
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lets see how far you get when you don't have precious artists (traditional and graphic) to design/draw up a concepts of things you own and use daily. No artists? No app designs, video games, website designs, clothing designs, product concepts etc. Tuck your butthole away for a bit.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What? We can test logic and maths in the sense that, look at computers, look at bridges, this **** seems to work. You just can't prove it without making inductive or intuitive steps. Which is good enough.
Physics or some spin off :smug:

I think you will find physicists appreciate maths.

Plato can waffle on as much as he like about particles or what is the smallest thing. Means nothing. What can seem logical to humans with their human perspective means nothing if oyu can not objectively test it./
Incubator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.
Hey! My maid went to Manchester Met..!
ChoccyPhilly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the same way that net neutrality states that all data is equal, even if reddit is worth more than redtube, for example, I think we should treat degrees the same.

I don't see a point in causing people to pay more or less depending on what they're interested in to study further. it's subjective to an extent and there's no objective way of saying that sociology is more useless than biology (i'm going to do biology by the way).

The fact you say that stuff like history and english is pointless is sad.

Perhaps we should adopt the chinese education system and do the gaokoa where we only do our native language, maths and the 3 sciences. It's been reported that an overwhelming amount of chinese graduates lack any creativity, such as in business or marketing for instance.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
4.26%
They might tell the bully (5)
10.64%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
19.15%
It might lead to more bullying (17)
36.17%
There's nothing they could do (14)
29.79%

Watched Threads