Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew1345)
    I found I had that problem throughout the exam, I think the thing that threw people this year was the style/wording of the questions, they required longer answers and there were less short 1 mark answers
    I was disappointed with the lack of one markers! So many 3/4 markers though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx)
    I was disappointed with the lack of one markers! So many 3/4 markers though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah think thats what got people, ironically I found the majority of the paper okay, yet I got the question about the length of prophase wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew1345)
    RNA, as RNA is a single stranded molecule the bases do not pair up, whether thats true or not is beyond me
    (Original post by Faisalshamallakh)
    That's what I put, it's certainly true.

I knew what I wanted to say for that question, but found it surprisingly difficult to put it into words that would satisfy the examiners.
    Oh thank god! I put that too.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone hav Unofficial mark scheme anyone? Anywhere

ReputationRep:
    Guys hat do you think full ums and an a would be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser_)
    I put A. What did people put for question 1 for the monosaccharides (the first box I think?)?
    hmmm nope I think 1st box was triose sugar was it not? and apart from 1 or 2 question the rest of the paper was decent, which essay did you guys do? I did the biosense, I drew a diagram and talked about how its done also talked about immobilised enzymes as well advantages of biosensers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylaar)
    yeah
    same here, what about the length of prophase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neyha)
    What did everyone write for the two cells containing the dyed proteins. Im pretty sure i failed that Q
    hmmm Im not sure but there what i think I put,

- plasma membrane separates the living cell from the non-living surroundings
    - Plasma membrane is fluid mosaic, which means the proteins can move around the bilayer and this why the red and different dyed proteins are mixed up in the fused cell and I said some other things about the structure and function of plasma membrane

I think that was the idea behind the questions I mean that the only thing that made sense to me it was proteins in the membranes so yea.... any one else did something similar?

ReputationRep:
    i completely guessed and said that the phsopholipids are free to move and glycoproteins are involved in cell-cell recognition to allow the proteins from the other membrane to be liberated. i couldnt think of any more points it completely screwed me over, im gonna go over the paper with my bio teachers tomorrow, i resait it aswell and i dont know which was harder, this years or last years!
    thank god! at least we got something similar, I also talked about the fluid mosaic part, its mosaic because the proteins are free move and are randomly arranged like mosaic

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it said nucleotides, I thought it said nucleic acids? Which would mean any Pentose sugars would be ruled out. I put C & D for that one.

also guys, I ad 72 minutes.

I also had 50 for the other maths question although this is wrong, it's actually 25 because we calculated the space between the organic bases and not the width of the bases themselves.

For the fusion of 2 cells, that completely threw me. I referred to the fluid mosaic model as it was the only thing I could think of and tried to explain it (although i'm pretty sure I got that question wrong completely)

The essays were a blessing by the WJEC compared to other years. I was disappointed that water didn't appear as I expected it to. I answered the biosensor question.

I think the rest was relatively straight forward?
    I too did the biosenser easy, what did you talk about?

Me:
    -drew a fairly crappy diagram and labelled the part
    -defined biosenser
    -defined immobilised enzymes
    -described steps in detection of glucose e.g. glucose passing through the selectively permeable membrane ect..
    -described advantages of biosensers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam2222)
    I too did the biosenser easy, what did you talk about?

Me:
    -drew a fairly crappy diagram and labelled the part
    -defined biosenser
    -defined immobilised enzymes
    -described steps in detection of glucose e.g. glucose passing through the selectively permeable membrane ect..
    -described advantages of biosensers
    Very similar:

I started off with the definition of a biosensor

I then explained how it works, such as entry of glucose past semi-permeable membrane etc

Described its advantages and where it is used in medicine and why.

My essay was only a page long as I condensed it down as much as possible to get quick and accurate marks.

I did not define or even explain immobilised enzymes, all I did was explain that biosensors work on the basis of immobilised enzymes.

ReputationRep:
    yeah
    omg... phew!! also got 50!! although for the second calculation messed it up.. got the right answer wrote it on the working out space and then wrote the answer as something totally different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supergirlxxxxxx)
    do you think enzyme activity graphs will come up? Or a massive question on biosensors?

posted from tsr mobile

biosensor did came up!!

ReputationRep:
    What did you write for advantages???

I wrote ita used in blood sugar detection in daibetics, used in environmwntal conditions, give accurate results, enzyme nd productds dnt grt mixed up so easier to seperate reducing overall cost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warissafi)
    What did you write for advantages???

I wrote ita used in blood sugar detection in daibetics, used in environmwntal conditions, give accurate results, enzyme nd productds dnt grt mixed up so easier to seperate reducing overall cost
    I said they're specific so they can detect specific metabolites within a bodily fluid

They are sensitive and can therefore detect minute concentrations of specific metabolites

They give us a quantitative analysis as opposed to a qualitative analysis, and as a result of the quantitative data, they are accurate

They can be used in medicine to detect medical conditions such as diabetes

that's what I said for advantages, I think I missed a few so I'm gutted

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else do the other essay question? The one about mitochondria and chloroplasts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliethemoo)
    Did anyone else do the other essay question? The one about mitochondria and chloroplasts?
    I did that question. wasn't it like 'how are the structures of mitochondria and chloroplasts are adapted to their function and how are they similar to prokaryote cells'

I drew a mitochondrion, a chloroplast and a typical prokaryote and then wrote about how both the mitochondrion and chloroplast are suited to their functions e.g. mitochondria have inner membranes folded to form crista which increase the surface area for respiratory processes, and the matrix contains ribosomes, lipids and a loop of DNA which enables the mitochondria to synthesise it's own proteins. For the chloroplasts i included stuff about the thylakoid and how they're stacked to form grana which increase the surface area for trapping light energy.
    I said they were similar to prokaryotes in that all 3 have a loop of DNA, mito is the site of aerobic respiration and the prokaryote has a mesosome which is the site of respiration.. I think i also wrote about how all 3 have ribosomes etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty-meaw)
    omg... phew!! also got 50!! although for the second calculation messed it up.. got the right answer wrote it on the working out space and then wrote the answer as something totally different!
    I wouldn't worry about it tbh, it was only 2 marks and you'll deffo get a mark for the working out

ReputationRep:
    Very similar:

I started off with the definition of a biosensor

I then explained how it works, such as entry of glucose past semi-permeable membrane etc

Described its advantages and where it is used in medicine and why.

My essay was only a page long as I condensed it down as much as possible to get quick and accurate marks.

I did not define or even explain immobilised enzymes, all I did was explain that biosensors work on the basis of immobilised enzymes.

I did the same, mine was only half a page long but at the end of the day its about the quality not quanitity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser_)
    I put A. What did people put for question 1 for the monosaccharides (the first box I think?)?
    I put A for the monosaccharide

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.