Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleanor_94)
    Hello, I think it may vary with accomodation. If I were you I would just take extra. I never had enough which was annoying! Which accomodation will you be living in? Eleanor
    Maple Bank

ReputationRep:
    I've asked this of previous universities in general as 've experienced attending lectures and having to sit on the floor or stand due to a limited number of seats.My question is does the university in general feel overcrowded and have their been cases of student sitting on the floor because of a lack of seats in lecture halls?? I would also like to know what the minimum required attendance is for lectures surely you don't have to attend all you your lectures right? Also would you describe the environment as being competitive(every man for himself) or collaborative were it's common for students to work in groups and help each other out? Also does this vary depending on the course you do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm going to start this September and just wanted to ask a few things
    On average how much does a night out cost (including transport)? And how often do you go during first year?
    Also for the societies are the membership prices per week/month
    I was looking at some and it just has a price
    Looking forward to your reply

ReputationRep:
    Hi Eleanor!
    I've recently turned 17 and have just started A2, and was hoping to choose Birmingham Uni as one of my main options to study psychology at. I came to the university after my AS exams on an open day and I absolutely loved it. However, my AS grades, although I passed all of my exams, weren't as good as I expected so I'm just wondering whether I would still be encouraged to apply or not. I got ABCC (in order of psychology, history, biology and english language.) I got full UMS in psychology so hopefully I'll maintain a grade A or get an A* potentially next year. I dropped biology, and am also taking EPQ this year which is going to be psychology based. I'm hoping to bring my English Language grade from a C to a B, as the exam didn't go as well as I expected due to my Dad falling ill around that time. But i've heard that they will give me an offer based on whether my personal statement is good, over my AS grades, and I'm hoping an advantage would be that I travelled from where I live, Newcastle, to Birmingham this summer and carried out work experience with Birmingham's mental health trust. I was fortunate enough to actually get a hands on work placement in psychiatry and psychology and I worked with psychiatrists, which could be an advantage? Also, do you know whether the university is doing their unconditional offer scheme this year? Sorry for the many questions!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Eleanor!

I have just started year 12 but I am being told you think about uni from now. I want to study psychology at uni. I have been looking at many different unis but I really like Birmingham as they offer one year abroad. I would like to ask, did you enjoy that year abroad (if you went)? Also I had a few questions about accommodation. Do you stay on campus or are there places near the campus where you stay? Where would you advise staying and how do you apply for accommodation there? Finally are you enjoying psychology at Birmingham?

Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevel4)
    Hi
    I'm going to start this September and just wanted to ask a few things
    On average how much does a night out cost (including transport)? And how often do you go during first year?
    Also for the societies are the membership prices per week/month
    I was looking at some and it just has a price
    Looking forward to your reply
    Hi,

Average night out really depends on how much alcohol you plan on drinking and how many drinks you buy out. To save on money definitely pre-drink! On my average night out I probably spend around £4 on alcohol (I only pre-drink, very rarely do I buy at the club). If you are in a big group, transport will probably be £2 each per journey from halls (so £4 there and back). Tickets for most student nights in bham are £5. So i would say on an average night i spend £13.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question as well, another one.
    My mum is currently debating whether or not to pay for me to have a meal plan when I hopefully attend next year or go self catered. What do you guys think about this?
    She is unsure about it because she's worried that all the "university food outlets" you get to use as part of the meal plan are fast food places with few good quality options.
    Is healthy food available in uni outlets?
    Also, what would you say you don't like about the uni compared to other unis. Basically, what are the problems you think this uni has that the others don't?
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi, not sure if this is off topic but can someone tell me which nights are student nights for clubbing

ReputationRep:
    hi! im an international student. which banks would you suggest to open up an account with? thanks

ReputationRep:
    What is the teaching like? Is everyone taught from the basics or do they throw you straight in the deep end assuming you know this stuff? Do they assume you feel the knowledge gaps independently?

I've been to induction and people have studied subject that are more suited to the course and have a more specific knowledge field to the course. ((

ReputationRep:
    Hi Eleanor! I hope you don't mind me asking but what subjects did you do for A level and what grades did you get in them?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I came to birmingham to start uni on the 19 and got my accomodation. Unfortunately I have decided to quit for some personal reason and withdrew officially a couple of days ago.
    I still have the room and I want to leave by transferring to another student. I am now trying to find someone who is looking for an ensuite room in a flat with 4 other flatmates. It is a approved accomodation in partnership with the UNI so it is quite safe and well managed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humalohar)
    Hey, I'm a 16 year old in year 11, living in Birmingham. I am currently doing my GCSE's and achieve to get 3 A*'s and 5 A's. My biggest dream is to read medicine at University of Birmingham. Yes, this might sound cheesy but I am working exceptionally hard to achieve it. Recently, I have been offered a conditional offer at the University of Birmingham School's Sixth Form and will be very happily attending it. My A level choices are the following: Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Physics and I will aim to achieve at least 2 A*'s and 2 A's. I have 2 close cousins who have just qualified as doctors and they have two degrees (Bio-medical sciences at Birmingham and their medical degrees from Poland). They didn't get into Birmingham as they didn't have the grades but I will do anything to get the best grades as its not just for me but for my family. My mum passed away when I was 18 months old and she didn't get to achieve her dreams and nor did my dad get to go to university therefore, this is for them. I don't live a normal or easy life and it has always revolved around achieving the best to make everybody proud. Now, most of the people on this thread attend UoB and my actual question was, (LOL, finally!!!) is it REALLY hard to get into UoB? And is there any other things I can do to secure a place there? I'm deputy head girl at school and will apply to be head girl at college. I do charity work and have a job at Boots which will I will start after my exams. Again it means a lot to me and thank you for reading all of this! x
    I'm a current medic at UoB, and the A-level offers tend to be rather high (A*AA). However, this isn't an impossible feat if you are motivated and are willing to work. Birmingham is very academic, and many of the applicants will have a considerable number of A* at GCSE and a good set of AS/predicted grades.

I don't think that there is really anything you can do to 'secure' a place in medicine, because even people with the best grades get rejected. But don't be disheartened, again it is very possible to get in. I do recommend gaining some more experience, say in hospitals or GPs, as it might provide some useful insight on the medical field in interviews.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacant3by4)
    I'm a current medic at UoB.
    Hi, I'm an applicant to Birmingham medicine this year and was wondering what your personal opinion of the medical school is? Pros and cons so to speak?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am a third year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you

ASK AWAY!

Eleanor
    Hi what grades did you get into psychology at bcu with, worried mine arent high enough?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am a third year Psychology student at the University of Birmingham and I am here to answer all your questions about Birmingham! If you have questions about Accommodation, Student Life, Courses, Entry Requirements, basically anything to do with the Birmingham, I'm here to help! I will do my best to answer all your questions/concerns and if I don't know the answer I will enquire about it for you

ASK AWAY!

Eleanor
    Hi! I have a conditional offer to study Psychology, I wanted to ask what the contact hours are like in the first year ?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of societies, are there any or do you recall there being any musical ones. Not ones to do with the instrument as such, but with a particular genre of music or band? For example a Stone Roses society?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information about the guild of students.
    I've received an offer to study lit there this year, but am torn between here and Manchester. Both courses are great so it's all coming down to the best facilities now.

I was wondering what the union facilities are like, and also how often they put on events, what kind of things they usually are and if they happen very often. I'm very outgoing and love going out, meeting up with people and attending events, and am also a musician and theatre enthusiast (typical english student lmao) so I like going out to gigs and the theatre.

Any help? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been offered a place at Birmingham and confirmed it as my firm -but the accommodation is confusing me. I would like self catered en suite so I was looking at Mason and Jarrat, but people seem to think Mason has a bad rep, and people see it as snobby - is this true?
    Kat

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am hoping to firm Birmingham for history and was wondering if they were lenient if I don't get the conditional AAB they asked for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.