Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c222)
    Didn't the question ask to comment on the success?
    So many people did not read this question it said comment on the success yes SUCCESS that was the important element which many people will lose marks i would of expected gb to be high but because many people struggled and the gb are low as it already is then it will most likely go down tbh but it was by far the easiest paper there has been

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K3lvin)
    So many people did not read this question it said comment on the success yes SUCCESS that was the important element which many people will lose marks i would of expected gb to be high but because many people struggled and the gb are low as it already is then it will most likely go down tbh but it was by far the easiest paper there has been
    Thank you! I found it much easier than last year.

I just checked some past papers and a question in jan 2011 was "For one named stretch of coastline, comment on the success of coastal defences".

The mark scheme largely talks about the successes and a small bit about the negative aspects but the level 3 description says "A clear response which shows understanding of different approaches. Deals with idea of success"

So I think I did well on that question.

ReputationRep:
    For the contrasting approaches I did breakwater and groynes. I explained in my answer how they are contrasting Though. I said breakwater makes waves break earlier decreasing erosion on cliffs and how geoynes indirectly prevent erosion as they slow longshots drift which means there will be less thin areas of the beach thus meaning erosion is reduced. Then went onto explain the success of both saying that the breakwater in swansea was not successful as waves breached it during a storm causing economic costs of 7million pounds and also said the breakwater got damaged in the Storm so extensive repair was needed. Then I said the groynes between spurn head and easington were successful and slowed the rate of erosion by 2 metres per year In some places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridwan12)
    Yh same but i'm worrying that my example of abbots hall farm and managed retreat won't count as a "defence"........
    in my cgp book managed retreat is an example of soft engineering defense so lets hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    in my cgp book managed retreat is an example of soft engineering defense so lets hope for the best
    Managed retreat is definitely a type of defence. It uses the natural environment to help protect the coast against erosion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geogwaphyerjag)
    For the contrasting approaches I did breakwater and groynes. I explained in my answer how they are contrasting Though. I said breakwater makes waves break earlier decreasing erosion on cliffs and how geoynes indirectly prevent erosion as they slow longshots drift which means there will be less thin areas of the beach thus meaning erosion is reduced. Then went onto explain the success of both saying that the breakwater in swansea was not successful as waves breached it during a storm causing economic costs of 7million pounds and also said the breakwater got damaged in the Storm so extensive repair was needed. Then I said the groynes between spurn head and easington were successful and slowed the rate of erosion by 2 metres per year In some places
    I said that with reduction of the overall erosion rate at holderness as well. Also contrasted Hornsea (beach nourishment - soft engineering) with Easington (sea walls) to protect gas terminal which has an important role in North sea etc. saying how this has been successful in economic terms and ended with saying reducing the 2m erosion caused per year at Holderness coast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liv1234567)
    i wrote about hard engineering-groynes and soft engineering-beach nourishment, but then wasnt sure if it meant managed retreat or advance the line so wrote about that too, think i completely messed that one up

Same!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaAK)
    Same!!! :rolleyes:
    Will I be massively penalised? I know groynes and breakwater are both hard but I mentioned how they contrast greatly in the way they protect the coast

ReputationRep:
    This exam was generally much much easier compared to last years (yes i am a resitter) So generally feel quite happy about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrdinaryStudent)
    No managed retreat is a coastal defence For soft engineering, the strategy is called retreating the line, in my textbook managed retreat is labelled as a defence
    that's reassuring thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c222)
    Didn't the question ask to comment on the success?
    Yeah, that's why I wrote about positives, negatives, rates of erosion and changes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just a question for the culture and heritage where it said use examples I used leicester for heritage as they did preserve buildings instead of knocking them down so this encourages degradation which is true but i then wrote about how they kept leicester museum but that was a complete lie do i get penalised for that or not as does it fit in with my point or not do you think

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the unit 1 today?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2016

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.