Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    They constantly ask about quick sort in Comp3, and they also give pseudo code of quick sort algorithms too.
    Um, page 122 in the AQA A2 Computing textbook says, I quote:

"You won't be expected to know the Quicksort algorithm for the COMP3 examination, but you may wish to use it in your COMP4 project."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbo54)
    Um, page 122 in the AQA A2 Computing textbook says, I quote:

"You won't be expected to know the Quicksort algorithm for the COMP3 examination, but you may wish to use it in your COMP4 project."
    What the wikibooks means is that you don't need to memorize the quick sort algorithm itself. Hench why it said "but you may wih to use it in your COMP4 project". You most certainly need to be aware of the quick sort algorithm, how it works and what Big O complexity it is (n log n), you just don't need to learn how to code a working one for the comp3 exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I guess I'm here this late due to the realization that the exam is just over a week away and I have a mock on Monday -_- Furthermore, I seem know practically nothing about Comp3 whereas you all seem to be pretty profound at the subject. What are you finding to be the best way to revise. If you haven't started yet, how will you revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaney96)
    Hey guys, I guess I'm here this late due to the realization that the exam is just over a week away and I have a mock on Monday -_- Furthermore, I seem know practically nothing about Comp3 whereas you all seem to be pretty profound at the subject. What are you finding to be the best way to revise. If you haven't started yet, how will you revise?
    I am by no means profound in knowledge xD But I intend to start revising today, I'm going for an A, got an A overall last year, and my COMP4 was an A/B.

Usually I just read from the textbook, think about it for a min, then write down the main parts the way I understand it. If I need a reminder, my notes seem to fire the right neurons!

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-leve...and_Networking
    Shortest and most concise way of revising. Also do lots of practice papers, and know your stuff when it comes to SQL. Learn SQL back to front and object orientation.

ReputationRep:
    mate past papers! Learn those SQL because it has a lot of marks. Then go to wikibooks and multiwingspan.

Past papers for comp3 are essential for understanding the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-leve...and_Networking
    Shortest and most concise way of revising. Also do lots of practice papers, and know your stuff when it comes to SQL. Learn SQL back to front and object orientation.
    (Original post by ScruffyQuaver)
    mate past papers! Learn those SQL because it has a lot of marks. Then go to wikibooks and multiwingspan.

Past papers for comp3 are essential for understanding the questions
    Cheers guys, that WikiBooks is pretty ****ing nice. I think I'll take notes from it and learn it inside out, then go on to past papers. Gotta do well in this exam or else I'll probably be retaking the year as it's Firm choice or nothing! Will you guys be retaking if you don't get Firm or Insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, that WikiBooks is pretty ****ing nice. I think I'll take notes from it and learn it inside out, then go on to past papers. Gotta do well in this exam or else I'll probably be retaking the year as it's Firm choice or nothing! Will you guys be retaking if you don't get Firm or Insurance?
    What's your firm and offer? Must be Oxbridge if you're not settling for insurance

ReputationRep:
    I won't retake it I get into my insurance. My firm is birmingham (AAA) so am being a pessimist and predicted I'll end up with insurance, Nottingham (ABB)

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm most likely going to do an apprenticeship with a sponsored degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScruffyQuaver)
    I won't retake it I get into my insurance. My firm is birmingham (AAA) so am being a pessimist and predicted I'll end up with insurance, Nottingham (ABB)
    Same Firm and Insurance as me! Computer Science i'm guessing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjunlotay)
    Same Firm and Insurance as me! Computer Science i'm guessing?
    Haha yeah, that is a weird coincidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Which one? I applied for Capgemini but didnt get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdulrapidz)
    Which one? I applied for Capgemini but didnt get in.
    I'm only interested in capgemini, once my exams finish I'll send application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I'm only interested in capgemini, once my exams finish I'll send application form.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    What's your firm and offer? Must be Oxbridge if you're not settling for insurance
    Oxbridge I wish! It's Loughborough and I need ABB. I say "Firm or nothing" because I ****ed up on my UCAS application and I'll be going into clearing if I don't get into my firm. Loughborough is just the ideal Uni for me though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Nice to see someone like me; I also got an D last year an am trying to turn it around. I have 10 exams this year in an attempt to turn CCDD into ABB (after dropping a subject of course). Got an A in Comp4 as I really enjoyed that and am pretty confident about the Comp1 retake. Just need this Comp3 exam, it seems so overwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on what essay we could be given this year? Internet security hasn't been asked in a while and there hasn't been any simulation, searching & sorting and recursion questions in a while either. What questions do you think that will come up this year?

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see someone like me; I also got an D last year an am trying to turn it around. I have 10 exams this year in an attempt to turn CCDD into ABB (after dropping a subject of course). Got an A in Comp4 as I really enjoyed that and am pretty confident about the Comp1 retake. Just need this Comp3 exam, it seems so overwhelming.
    If my teachers were to read your comment, they would think you was me. Literally same for me, got a D last year, got an A in Comp4, I feel like I did so much better in my Comp1 retake, and my Comp2 retake. Trying to turn my D to an A this year. Also, I have 10 exams this year too.

But with 10 exams is too much for me to handle, I'm in a bit of a pickle right now with my last exams, and I feel like doing an apprenticeship sponsored degree in software engineering would be better than going to uni to do the same thing. Plus I get paid whilst I'm at the apprenticeship, so I leave there with around £80k+ with a degree whereas with UNI I'd leave there with -£50K debt. It's kinda a no brainier if you ask me. Plus when the apprenticeship finishes, there's potential to be on a salary higher than uni graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    If my teachers were to read your comment, they would think you was me. Literally same for me, got a D last year, got an A in Comp4, I feel like I did so much better in my Comp1 retake, and my Comp2 retake. Trying to turn my D to an A this year. Also, I have 10 exams this year too.

But with 10 exams is too much for me to handle, I'm in a bit of a pickle right now with my last exams, and I feel like doing an apprenticeship sponsored degree in software engineering would be better than going to uni to do the same thing. Plus I get paid whilst I'm at the apprenticeship, so I leave there with around £80k+ with a degree whereas with UNI I'd leave there with -£50K debt. It's kinda a no brainier if you ask me. Plus when the apprenticeship finishes, there's potential to be on a salary higher than uni graduates.
    I can completely empathise with your reasoning for an apprenticeship. The main reason I would like to go to Uni is because Loughborough is 20 minutes away from where I live, and it's the perfect Uni for me; I like how isolated it is and how the facilities (brilliant gym and fantastic computing facilities) are ideal for me. Also, I don't feel like working, I don't feel I'm "ready" (excuse the cliche).

Having 10 exams has ****ed me hard as well. Revising for Maths C3 and C4 took up so much time. Practicing exam technique for economics has been a drag (still got an exam for that as well) and then there's Comp3, which is going to be the death of me...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 12, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.