The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daydreamer4life
There are are far too many ignorant comments on this thread. I don't agree with what Freelee is saying but that doesn't mean you guys get to say crap to other vegans.

Of course, you could always educate yourself by watching some documentaries before being ignorant:

[video="youtube;es6U00LMmC4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4[/video]

Really hope people can take the time to watch it and see why so many have chosen veganism :h: :h: :h: :h: :h:

I dont believe people should be saying crap to others either, vegan or not. -I'm sorry you feel this way.

I'm sure it'll be interesting to watch, thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyrical_lie
I could probably go veggie as a lot of my meals are anyway. But I couldn't go vegan. I love cheese far too much!

Woooh!- Cheese is great, but I think vegan cheese is possible.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong haha. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98
Aw okay, I'll be sure to watch it. I've subscribed to the thread so I won't forget. :smile: Lol, what page is it on in this thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not posted on here lol

I just remembered about it because you were asking for information and I feel like you deserve to recieve that information lol :smile:

You can watch it online! http://putlocker.tn/cowspiracy-the-sustainability-secret/

If you want to dowload it, Its available on kickass torrents :smile:
She's an extremist. I'm hoping she won't kill non-vegetarians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
[video="youtube;HqVOUJjvtUw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVOUJjvtUw[/video]

You will find the answer in the video. All backed up with research.

1. No one has ever said that humans are carnivores
2. So what about other meat-eating primates, with whom humans share similar characteristics? Many primates do not fit the descriptions in this video.

It's funny how anyone can pretty much find any evidence to back up the conclusion they're looking for if they look hard enough. Look, I'll do the same.

Features of herbivores:

One major physical adaptation is the unique design of the herbivore's head, including its eyes, ears, and teeth. Most herbivores have eyes located on the side of their head. This adaptation makes it possible for herbivores to have a wider field of vision. Due to their eye placement, these animals can see almost all the way around their bodies without moving their heads.

Herbivores have also developed well-designed ears to avoid predation. The ears of many herbivores are large, which increases the volume of the sounds they hear and makes it possible for herbivores to hear the otherwise low volume noises of an approaching predator.

Although all carnivores have incisors and canines for tearing and cutting, only a few herbivores, such as rabbits and beavers, have these teeth. Most herbivores do not have incisors and canines because they use their lips to rip plant materials instead.
It's not posted on here lol

I just remembered about it because you were asking for information and I feel like you deserve to recieve that information lol :smile:

You can watch it online! http://putlocker.tn/cowspiracy-the-sustainability-secret/

If you want to dowload it, Its available on kickass torrents :smile:

Ahh rightt- got it. Haha, thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98
Woooh!- Cheese is great, but I think vegan cheese is possible.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong haha. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely a thing, but I'd be wary on how it tastes like, plus I live on light Philadelphia when I'm cooking.
It's definitely a thing, but I'd be wary on how it tastes like, plus I live on light Philadelphia when I'm cooking.

You should try VioLife - it tates amaaaaazing! Also, there are amazing vegan cream cheeses out there. Available in every Holland and Barrett :h:

Yeah me too, lol. Oh my - philaddeeelphia + toast = :smile: There are probably vegan versions of that too, do you know what is used as a substitute? - Just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not going to lie, I hate freelee most of the time but what she said in the video, I did agree with. It's true that animals go through so much pain just for human consumption. These methods include anal electricuition (as mentioned in the video, this one I find particularly disturbing), stunning, sticking,penetrating captive bolt. It's vile to do that to another living creature, quite frankly humans don't need meat to survive so why inflict unnecessary pain on another living thing? It's sad really, and I'm by no means an 'animal lover' but I find the whole concept of killing and slaughter houses disgusting and will probably never eat meat for the rest of my life. It's been 2 and a half years now :h: and I have forgotten the taste of meat.
There are are far too many ignorant comments on this thread. I don't agree with what Freelee is saying but that doesn't mean you guys get to say crap to other vegans.

Of course, you could always educate yourself by watching some documentaries before being ignorant:

[video="youtube;es6U00LMmC4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4[/video]

Really hope people can take the time to watch it and see why so many have chosen veganism :h: :h: :h: :h: :h:

I LOVE this speech, it's probably the reason I stopped eating meat 2 and a half years ago (This and another awful video I watched of animals being killed-disgusting) and it's probably the reason why I got high marks in my speaking and listening English GCSE :tongue:
Original post by GailQ
1. No one has ever said that humans are carnivores
Although all carnivores have incisors and canines for tearing and cutting, only a few herbivores, such as rabbits and beavers, have these teeth. Most herbivores do not have incisors and canines because they use their lips to rip plant materials instead.

1. Really? There sure was a bunch of commenters comparing themselves to lions and such.

2. Actually the Gorilla (our closest common ancestor interestingly enough) has massive canines- larger than ours! - used for eating plants.

Oh right, and the big, strong Hippo? Ya got it, eats his plants with his good old canines.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by miser
I don't think that people 'deserve' to die if they do things that are wrong. However, sometimes killing is justified by means of self-defence. The animals that we kill as a society do not deserve to be killed, or to suffer at our hands merely for our own enjoyment. Humans don't need to eat meat - we simply choose to because we like the taste. Eating meat satisfies us. But, if there were some mad man going around arbitrarily killing animals, over and over, shouldn't we stop him? Shouldn't we stop him even if we had to take his life?

That's what we do as a society. We kill animals over and over, for nothing but our own satisfaction. We don't deserve to die, but animals don't deserve to be killed. It would be proper for animals to kill us in self-defence, just as it would be if some alien higher-beings came to our planet and started trying to kill us for their satisfaction. But animals can't defend themselves - they're weaker than we are. We make the weak suffer for our own enjoyment. It's despicable. We don't deserve to die, but we don't deserve to get away with it, either.

Not really lol. I eat meat because I need to get my nutrients and protein and it's the most efficient way to do it.
Reply 133
1. Really? There sure was a bunch of commenters comparing themselves to lions and such.

2. Actually the Gorilla (our closest common ancestor interestingly enough) has massive canines- larger than ours! - used for eating plants.

- Ok how about this. Most people who understand biology know that humans are not carnivores.
- Our closest common ancestor is the Bonobo, it is an omnivorous animal.
- You might want to look up the definition of the word "most". (Also, with closer investigation I wouldn't be surprised if "most" is a word that can be applied to most of the points raised in the video you posted).

https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm - from a pro-vegetarian site, believe it or not

This could easily go round in circles. Clearly we are not going to agree, which is fine. Just letting you know that I am not about to accept that humans are herbivores and I am yet to see any proof for that argument that should be deemed more credible than proof for the counterargument
Reply 134
She's the sort of person you get stuck with in the corner of a party and then spend the next 5-10 minutes looking for any sort of distraction / rescue whilst not listening at all, but nodding and smiling through gritted teeth at your counterpart.
Original post by GailQ
- Ok how about this. Most people who understand biology know that humans are not carnivores.
- You might want to look up the definition of the word "most". (Also, with closer investigation I wouldn't be surprised if "most" is a word that can be applied to most of the points raised in the video you posted).

https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm - from a pro-vegetarian site, believe it or not

This could easily go round in circles. Clearly we are not going to agree, which is fine. Just letting you know that I am not about to accept that humans are herbivores and I am yet to see any proof for that argument that should be deemed more credible than proof for the counterargument

Wait someone stated humans are herbivores?..That's clearly not the case lol.

-In my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I LOVE this speech, it's probably the reason I stopped eating meat 2 and a half years ago (This and another awful video I watched of animals being killed-disgusting) and it's probably the reason why I got high marks in my speaking and listening English GCSE :tongue:

Yay!!!!! I love randomly bumping into others like me and you on the internet :h:
Reply 137
]
Oh right, and the big, strong Hippo? Ya got it, eats his plants with his good old canines.

"Hippopotamus teeth sharpen themselves as they grind together. The lower canines and lower incisors are enlarged, especially in males, and grow continuously. The incisors can reach 40 cm (1.3 ft), while the canines reach up to 50 cm (1.6 ft).[34] The canines and incisors are used for combat and play no role in feeding."

Circles and circles...
Original post by Tom78
the next 5-10 minutes.

Feels like hrs. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GailQ

I'm actually gonna let this one go, not because I don't want to, but because one of us has to break this stupid circle and its obvious someone so close-minded as you couldn't do it. And on the other hand, so many other people have better arguments for this than I do, which you can easily look up through google.
At the end of the day, I'm not so passionate as to gather sources for you specially, just to please you or something.

I know that what I do is primarily about helping the animals, not getting into stupid discussions about anatomy, and whether you get convinced is none of my concern. So if you don't want to keep going around in circles, I'll gladly depart.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/shattering-the-meat-myth_b_214390.html
http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/11/the-comparative-anatomy-of-eating.html
http://pixellant.com/adaptt/humans-herbivores/

Latest