Turn on thread page Beta

"Sexy Plus Size Model Stuns on Catwalk" How is this acceptable? watch

ReputationRep:
    Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...graham-6451232

Why is our fashion industry one of extremes?

Firstly, that model is overweight and not even a little bit, she's largely overweight. Why is it acceptable to promote such an unhealthy size? Yes, she is facially gorgeous, she'd probably have a fantastic figure if she was a healthy weight. Yet she chose, and others chose, to use her body as a tool for "body confidence".

When it's so false.
    Firstly, bodies that size should not promoted, because she is overweight. And obesity is one of our biggest epidemics.
    And secondly, because it makes absolutely no difference. Girls know that she is a "plus size" model. Girls don't aspire to be "plus size", they aspire to be normal.

But we have no normal. In fashion it's mostly underweight models, with a select few plus size models for political correctness.

While she is celebrated for being plus size. Models such as this http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/25/swedis...kings-5359951/ are criticised by the industry for being too big. When in fact she has a healthy, slim figure.

How can we have it so wrong? The fashion industry should ban plus size models, as well as banning dangerously underweight models. Instead, the industry should include a variety of healthy sizes ranging from 6-14. Only then, will they preach body confidence. Because right now, it's so hypocritcal, and is only open to those too underweight, and too overweight.

Models like this are not promoting body confidence, it is merely a political tool for the fashion industry to show how 'accepting' they are, when for the rest of the time, they push girls to starve themselves.
    Is she Obese? If she's just overweight what the hell is your problem? She isn't necessarily unhealthy because you've taken one look at her and gone ' yep, definitely too fat to be healthy'. Who are you to judge somebody's health based on what you can see?

Size 16, is a perfectly reasonable female body size, don't act like you're the authority. I hate this kind of controversial bull****, if she were obese or morbidly obese I'd understand, but that is just not the case.

You're so ignorant, I almost feel the need to wince when I read your statements on this topic. It's a bit embarrassing and upsetting that there are so many poorly informed people on these forums...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Is she Obese? If she's just overweight what the hell is your problem? She isn't necessarily unhealthy because you've taken one look at her and gone ' yep, definitely too fat to be healthy'. Who are you to judge somebody's health based on what you can see?

Size 16, is a perfectly reasonable female body size, don't act like you're the authority. I hate this kind of controversial bull****, if she were obese or morbidly obese I'd understand, but that is just not the case.

You're so ignorant, I almost feel the need to wince when I read your statements on this topic. It's a bit embarrassing and upsetting that there are so many poorly informed people on these forums...
    I've already figured it out she's jealous.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously some people can have fat bodies but they face is bare skinny and ting so they be cool with modeling, yaman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet n Sour)
    Wouldn't surprise me... Honestly, It's so infuriating. I just want people like that to fall down a well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Wouldn't surprise me... Honestly, It's so infuriating. I just want people like that to fall down a well...
    Too funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    You've got to be joking. Judging by the photo in the article, she is without a doubt obese.
    She's got enough fat for me to qualify it as "a bit of podge", but that's about it IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)

She is overweight, is she not?

Is being overweight associated with ill-health?

Yes, it's downright causal.

A doctor would recommend that woman in particular, to lose weight, or do you not think so?

I think it's a very sad state of affairs, when people such as yourself, belief that the only time being overweight is wrong, is when it's obesity. What happened to people's standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Too funny.

Cringe.

ReputationRep:
    Cringe.
    Cringe.

ReputationRep:
    She is overweight, is she not?

Is being overweight associated with ill-health?

Yes, it's downright causal.

A doctor would recommend that woman in particular, to lose weight, or do you not think so?

I think it's a very sad state of affairs, when people such as yourself, belief that the only time being overweight is wrong, is when it's obesity. What happened to people's standards.
    Where are you plucking this information from? Do you have any reputable research suggesting that anyone over the clothing size of 14 is unhealthy? I can't wait to read it, I'm bristling with anticipation.

The common studies are on OBESE people, that is where the risk lies. People who are overweight or underweight are not generally considered a 'risk group'.

Any way, I've had quite enough of your gross ignorance for today. I'll leave you to drown in your pool of lies and iniquity.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, that model is overweight and not even a little bit, she's largely overweight.
    Are you having a laugh? They had great bodies. You need a ****ing eye check mate.

ReputationRep:
    In what world is this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Unhealthy? This is an unacceptable image to glorify but glorifying the average bulimic toothpick on that runway is fine right?

You need help.

ReputationRep:
    Mother of God.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Being fat is bad. Being skinny is bad. Being normal is good. There's a reason normal is normal. Many many years of evolution has brought us to this point. Normal is the best weight, average is the safest and healthiest.
    Not true - the science does not back up society's preference: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10158229.html

ReputationRep:
    [

Models like this are not promoting body confidence, it is merely a political tool for the fashion industry to show how 'accepting' they are, when for the rest of the time, they push girls to starve themselves.
    Firstly how do you know shes unhealthy?

Secondly she is very clearly not obese.

Thirdly actually it is promoting body confidence. Every day the media is plastered with pictures of skinny and underweight models and this constant barage takes its toll. Size 16 is not unhealthy nor dangerous. So yes in that regard it is very much promoting body confidence.

Because if even one schoolgirl who is picked on for not being a size 8 looks at that and thinks "hey if she can be on catwalk i cant be bad" then its a win.

ReputationRep:
    Women we are batterered from pillar to post we cant do right from doing wrong to mother hood, jobs, looks , size, clothes,what we eat and what we say. It's major pressure and it gets no better with age.Be yourself and wear what you feel like. You are your own best person to judge what you like not the media, they know nothing about you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.