Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Corbyn looking shabby / disrespectful watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    There was a bit of a brouhaha over Corbyn's failure to sing the national anthem at the RAF Battle of Britain memorial. I thought it was vaguely out of form, but what really jumped out at me was how shabby he looked.

Corbyn clearly couldn't be bothered to do up his top button and tie. I was brought up to understand that dressing appropriately and being neatly turned out shows respect for the occasion and the host.

You don't turn up to a wedding in a tracksuit; you don't go to a job interview in flip-flops. This is not some shallow fashion consideration; it's about showing your respect for the host and the occasion by dressing in a manner that befits the occasion.

I think he looked incredibly shabby with his mismatched jacket and trousers. And it's not like he doesn't own a nice suit, he was in one the previous day in the Commons. The fact he couldn't even be bothered to do up his top button and tie gave off the impression of a bored sixth-former at an event his Mum forced him to go to. That he couldn't even be effed and presumably knew the impression his shabbiness would put across is the crux of his disrespect for our fallen heroes.

It's the donkey jacket all over again, but this time suffused with genuine disrespect.

Not to mention he indicated he wouldn't kneel before the queen when talking about one of his duties honestly he has some good ideas but some others and the way he acts makes him unelectable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was a bit of a brouhaha over Corbyn's failure to sing the national anthem at the RAF Battle of Britain memorial. I thought it was vaguely out of form, but what really jumped out at me was how shabby he looked.

Corbyn clearly couldn't be bothered to do up his top button and tie. I was brought up to understand that dressing appropriately and being neatly turned out shows respect for the occasion and the host.

You don't turn up to a wedding in a tracksuit; you don't go to a job interview in flip-flops. This is not some shallow fashion consideration; it's about showing your respect for the host and the occasion by dressing in a manner that befits the occasion.

I think he looked incredibly shabby with his mismatched jacket and trousers. And it's not like he doesn't own a nice suit, he was in one the previous day in the Commons. The fact he couldn't even be bothered to do up his top button and tie gave off the impression of a bored sixth-former at an event his Mum forced him to go to. That he couldn't even be effed and presumably knew the impression his shabbiness would put across is the crux of his disrespect for our fallen heroes.

It's the donkey jacket all over again, but this time suffused with genuine disrespect.

you are right. even Adolf made sure he was smartly turned out.

ReputationRep:

I'm just happy people are still saying 'brouhaha'. Delightful word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    One day you'll read this post back to yourself and wince.
    I doubt it. Why would you think so?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I guess you could say he hasn't got a very good track record

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Nice one. More style politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Almost makes the millions killed and countries obliterated worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Not to mention he indicated he wouldn't kneel before the queen when talking about one of his duties honestly he has some good ideas but some others and the way he acts makes him unelectable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why should he kneel before her? Why should anyone kneel before anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Why should he kneel before her? Why should anyone kneel before anyone?
    Because he has accepted an invitation to join the Privy Council. You can't on the one hand accept the Rt Hon title and on the other refuse to do things that are required to have such a title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Because he has accepted an invitation to join the Privy Council. You can't on the one hand accept the Rt Hon title and on the other refuse to do things that are required to have such a title.
    "Forcing Jeremy Corbyn to kneel before the Queen would be cruel and distasteful"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...stasteful.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Germany deliberately doesn't have uniforms in school due to the obsessing conformity of strict dress codes and the like when a bit too far the 1930s and went a bit wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    "Forcing Jeremy Corbyn to kneel before the Queen would be cruel and distasteful"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...stasteful.html
    Not in the slightest. He is the leader of the opposition party in a constitutional monarchy - Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition. He has also opted to join the Privy Council - he doesn't need to do this. He will take part in NSC meetings when needed, so being a Privy Councillor isn't needed.If he doesn't want to do what's required of him, then he shouldn't join. It's as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    But why on earth is it required? The tradition of kneeling, in a private space, is backwards and absurd. Well, having a Monarchy is backwards and absurd too but I won't kick off that debate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    But why on earth is it required? The tradition of kneeling, in a private space, is backwards and absurd. Well, having a Monarchy is backwards and absurd too but I won't kick off that debate :rolleyes:
    It's required because it shows submission to the Queen, which is the point of the Privy Council. You might find it ridiculous, and so may Corbyn, and if he really wants to I'm fairly certain he can refuse to join. But just as in this case, he decided to head up HM's 'Most Loyal Opposition' despite not presumably being loyal to the Queen.

If you find the initiation ceremony of a particular organisation objectionable, then don't join it. Quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    It's required because it shows submission to the Queen, which is the point of the Privy Council. You might find it ridiculous, and so may Corbyn, and if he really wants to I'm fairly certain he can refuse to join. But just as in this case, he decided to head up HM's 'Most Loyal Opposition' despite not presumably being loyal to the Queen.

If you find the initiation ceremony of a particular organisation objectionable, then don't join it. Quite easy.
    Maybe he wants to do politics rather than show subservience to someone he doesn't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Maybe he wants to do politics rather than show subservience to someone he doesn't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then don't join the Privy Council! He can do London politics or council politics without having anything to do with the Queen, but you cannot apply for the top job without acknowledging the political system in which you operate. He cannot pretend he is in a republic, because no matter how much he wishes he is, that's just not true.

ReputationRep:
    Then don't join the Privy Council! He can do London politics or council politics without having anything to do with the Queen, but you cannot apply for the top job without acknowledging the political system in which you operate. He cannot pretend he is in a republic, because no matter how much he wishes he is, that's just not true.
    Right so no republican can take such a role then. All this does is show that the monarchy does in fact exert influence on politics despite many claims to the contrary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Right so no republican can take such a role then. All this does is show that the monarchy does in fact exert influence on politics despite many claims to the contrary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course she has influence on politics - she doesn't have a great deal of effective influence, but her symbolic influence is huge. The Privy Council is an example of this symbolic importance. We do not live in a republic - we live in a constitutional monarchy, and it's ridiculous to want to rise to the highest job in the land without recognising this quite basic fact.

ReputationRep:
    Of course she has influence on politics - she doesn't have a great deal of effective influence, but her symbolic influence is huge. The Privy Council is an example of this symbolic importance. We do not live in a republic - we live in a constitutional monarchy, and it's ridiculous to want to rise to the highest job in the land without recognising this quite basic fact.
    What have the royals done to deserve this sycophantic deference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.