Turn on thread page Beta

Germany wants Facebook to remove posts that contain incitement to hatred watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Do I understand correctly that your argument is that, because there's some degree of subjectivity involved here, that we should just let people be as disgustingly behaved as they want? I don't quite think you realise that somebody is at the receiving end of this abuse. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing if people behave responsibly but unfortunately, they don't always and I do find that the people who think that abuse is a necessary evil of freedom of speech have never themselves actually had to experience that kind of abuse themselves.
    You haven't answered the question. Who decides?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Farage is a hero)
    You haven't answered the question. Who decides?
    Normal people. Most people who are not sociopaths or teenagers who think they're being edgy would agree that comments with the sole intention of hurting another person are not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase;59527817[b)
    ]Normal people. [/b]Most people who are not sociopaths or teenagers who think they're being edgy would agree that comments with the sole intention of hurting another person are not acceptable.
    Too subjective to curtail freedom of speech.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Too subjective to curtail freedom of speech.
    You're very welcome to keep repeating that, it doesn't change the fact that most sane people realise that protecting others from abuse is more important than your pedantry. I'd like to see you trying to explain to people whose lives have been ruined through harassment that they need to just deal with it because it's more important that certain heartless individuals should be allowed to be horrible to others.

ReputationRep:
    Despite a belief that we defeated this kind of thing at the end of WW2, and oppression ended and fell with the NSDAP, we are now faced with precisely what we accuse them of having done and claim to have defeated. What should we expect? We chose the wrong side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AetherialBedouin)
    Despite a belief that we defeated this kind of thing at the end of WW2, and oppression ended and fell with the NSDAP, we are now faced with precisely what we accuse them of having done and claim to have defeated. What should we expect? We chose the wrong side.
    Read the article not the title.

ReputationRep:
    You're very welcome to keep repeating that, it doesn't change the fact that most sane people realise that protecting others from abuse is more important than your pedantry. I'd like to see you trying to explain to people whose lives have been ruined through harassment that they need to just deal with it because it's more important that certain heartless individuals should be allowed to be horrible to others.
    People need to stop believing that their feelings are sacrosanct and trump everything else. Let it go, as the famous song goes. I would have no problem telling anyone that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    People need to stop believing that their feelings are sacrosanct and trump everything else. Let it go, as the famous song goes. I would have no problem telling anyone that.
    Can I translate this as "I enjoy being horrible to people so how dare you tell me to be nice"?

ReputationRep:
    Can I translate this as "I enjoy being horrible to people so how dare you tell me to be nice"?
    Why don't you translate it as "People should not take criticism of the ideologies they hold dear to be personal."
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Why don't you translate it as "People should not take criticism of the ideologies they hold dear to be personal."
    Similarly to Farage is a Hero, you haven't actually seemed to have read the article. Nobody is stopping anybody from criticising. They're stopping people abusing others. Unless you think criticism and abuse are the same thing (which would be quite sad), then you shouldn't have any problem with this. I don't care if you tell me that you disagree with me. I would care if people started sending me personal threats or abuse, which is what this is trying to stop.

ReputationRep:
    You're comparing an initiative to tackle racism and hate speech to the merciless genocide of millions of people during the Holocaust?

ReputationRep:
    This is pure bigotry. What has happened to Democracy and freedom of speech?!

If I disagree with the amount of immigrants entering my country, I have every right to speak up. Disgusting.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.