Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Like on weekends and especially Christmas and on Easter or any other Christian celebration/holiday? If so do you go to a particular church?

I've been slacking but would love to go on a regular basis myself.
    Do you really think you should be attending church?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Do you really think you should be attending church?
    Excuse me? Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radk)
    why's the service so much better at xmas?
    Because they're thinking of all the food they're gonna be eating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Ah man, you all had church-related banter without me :cry2:

I go to church when I can (I have dispensation not to attend regularly due to ill health). Sadly that's not very often :no: Like, I don't think I managed a single service this year's Holy Week, despite being a practising Catholic :cry2: It was a huge disappointment.

As a child I used to go pretty much every Sunday. That all stopped around secondary school (after we got the necessary priest's reference to get in) but we'd still go often. Now I'm lucky if I can go to midnight Mass on Christmas Day or any Holy Week service, or any service at all tbh :erm:

I am trying to reintegrate myself into the general church community by helping to run confirmation classes at the parish associated with my secondary school. I see the priest there about 2-4 times a year for confession and general guidance in my spiritual life. I am fortunate enough that I have a rich uncle who is a devout Catholic and likes to send me on pilgrimages, in hope of a miracle with regards to my health. So I've been to Lourdes once and the Holy Land, which was an incredible experience
    I'm so sorry to hear about that and may God make it easy for you. Personally, I would love to go to Jerusalem so bad,just now isn't really safe for me to go. It's good that you're doing all this stuff to help with the church. Do you have to be a catholic to make a confession?

ReputationRep:
    Like on weekends and especially Christmas and on Easter or any other Christian celebration/holiday? If so do you go to a particular church?

I'm a devout atheist, so no I don't .

ReputationRep:

My advice is steer clear on the bugger lass. Tha'll find th'sen drawn in by t'buggers as go on regular basis. Next thing tha knaws tha'll be in beyond tha depth. Bad buggers religious buggers are. Think on !

ReputationRep:
    I went to Church every Sunday for about 17 years, although I continued to identify as Christian for some time after I had stopped attending Church.

ReputationRep:
    My village has a beautiful church building that I'd love to go to and use, it's just a shame you've got to be religious to do so despite us all paying for it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    My village has a beautiful church building that I'd love to go to and use, it's just a shame you've got to be religious to do so despite us all paying for it..
    What do you mean "use"? :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetitBourgeois)
    What do you mean "use"? :shock:
    Ya know, parties etc. I reckon it'd look pretty awesome at night with some coloured spot lights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Ya know, parties etc. I reckon it'd look pretty awesome at night with some coloured spot lights
    So Christians are allowed to use it for parties but not non-Christians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetitBourgeois)
    So Christians are allowed to use it for parties but not non-Christians?
    I like to imagine them having pretty wild parties

ReputationRep:
    I would if these wannabe Christian Irishmen built a Greek Orthodox church over here.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm so sorry to hear about that and may God make it easy for you. Personally, I would love to go to Jerusalem so bad,just now isn't really safe for me to go. It's good that you're doing all this stuff to help with the church. Do you have to be a catholic to make a confession?
    Thank you :hugs: We were really lucky when we went - it happened to be... well not a 'good' period to go, per se, but things got a lot more violent again a few weeks after we returned :sadnod: I would definitely recommend going if you ever got the chance though! I was a bit 'out' of it at the time and dissociated quite badly but thankfully I took lots of photos and that helps me remember how fortunate and privileged I am to have been able to go!

I made a thread on TSR about my trip, you can read it here if you would like to see some pics of mine:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2657367

As for confession, I was reliably informed by my X Soc pal Mazzini a few days ago, that some Anglicans (high ones) go to confession too :eek: I literally thought only Catholics went. So who knows - it would seem at least one other Christian tradition does it - maybe there are more out there

ReputationRep:
    Thank you :hugs: We were really lucky when we went - it happened to be... well not a 'good' period to go, per se, but things got a lot more violent again a few weeks after we returned :sadnod: I would definitely recommend going if you ever got the chance though! I was a bit 'out' of it at the time and dissociated quite badly but thankfully I took lots of photos and that helps me remember how fortunate and privileged I am to have been able to go!

I made a thread on TSR about my trip, you can read it here if you would like to see some pics of mine:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2657367

As for confession, I was reliably informed by my X Soc pal Mazzini a few days ago, that some Anglicans (high ones) go to confession too :eek: I literally thought only Catholics went. So who knows - it would seem at least one other Christian tradition does it - maybe there are more out there
    I'll check it out,thank you x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'll check it out,thank you x
    No worries! It's a bit long coz I'm not very good at writing succinctly, but you can just look at the pictures if you prefer

ReputationRep:
    No worries! It's a bit long coz I'm not very good at writing succinctly, but you can just look at the pictures if you prefer
    I'm so jealous!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm so jealous!
    Ngl, it was pretty amazing and profound. Even if these weren't the actual sites associated with Jesus' life, people have been going to these places for over 1000 years, which makes it pretty special in itself :yep: I'm certainly very fortunate in having been able to go

ReputationRep:
    Ngl, it was pretty amazing and profound. Even if these weren't the actual sites associated with Jesus' life, people have been going to these places for over 1000 years, which makes it pretty special in itself :yep: I'm certainly very fortunate in having been able to go
    I need to go soon. Have always wanted to visit holy sites in Jerusalem
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I need to go soon. Have always wanted to visit holy sites in Jerusalem
    I too had wanted to go for quite a while, I just never thought it would be able to happen. Thank goodness for religious rich uncle It didn't provide the miracle he was hoping for, which was disappointing for us all, but it is certainly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I'd thoroughly recommend it :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.