Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are we giving social housing to immigrants from Poland, Bulgaria, Croatia etc? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I don't think I've ever agreed with you before, and I certainly wouldn't have put it that way, but yes, many homeless people have had a chance at council housing and rejected it or suffered from drug/alcohol problems which prevents them being housed in council housing. On top of that most homeless people are single men,, nearly all people given council homes are families or vulnerable women these days due to the severe shortage.
    I've worked in the social housing sector so I know a little bit about this issue. A very high proportion (can't remember the figure but it's staggeringly high) of homeless people suffer from mental illness. Their behaviour/drug dependency often stems from this mental illness.

We don't have a proper care system in this country so we dump most of the mentally ill in housing estates, give them a poorly-equipped housing officer who usually has no idea what they're doing and just leave them there. Then we're surprised when we have this situation. It's awful

But yeah most of the rest are, as you say, young guys as they barely get any help at all so I suppose in that regard Billy has a point when we says we're clearly short of places in social housing (have you seen the waiting lists for single men?) so needlessly increasing the strain on the system with countless people from elsewhere who don't contribute is very questionable

Still, the homelessness versus social housing issue is more complicated than many in this thread have let on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You need to educate yourself on how people get social housing, seriously.
    Educate us then, seriously.

How does the system work if you have no means of support and are homeless as an EU citizen, and specifically what is the legal responsibility of the Local Authority with respect to housing you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    I've worked in the social housing sector so I know a little bit about this issue. A very high proportion (can't remember the figure but it's staggeringly high) of homeless people suffer from mental illness. Their behaviour/drug dependency often stems from this mental illness.

We don't have a proper care system in this country so we dump most of the mentally ill in housing estates, give them a poorly-equipped housing officer who usually has no idea what they're doing and just leave them there. Then we're surprised when we have this situation. It's awful

But yeah most of the rest are, as you say, young guys as they barely get any help at all so I suppose in that regard Billy has a point when we says we're clearly short of places in social housing (have you seen the waiting lists for single men?) so needlessly increasing the strain on the system with countless people from elsewhere who don't contribute is very questionable

Still, the homelessness versus social housing issue is more complicated than many in this thread have let on
    Just because their issues stem from mental illness doesn't mean we can just put them in social housing unfortunately. I also know a lot about the issue as my partner works in this area and both my parents were social workers so dealt with these sort of issues a lot!

The reason we have so many homeless people is not because of immigration, but because of failings in the care and mental health systems. Giving priority to British people would not lower the number of homeless people - not even British homeless people.

ReputationRep:
    Just because someone is British does not mean they are any more or any less deserving of social housing.

At the end of the day we're all human and all deserve a home. British or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocohinch)
    Just because someone is British does not mean they are any more or any less deserving of social housing.

Shut up hippy borders are real

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day we're all human and all deserve a home. British or not.[/QUOTE]

Your reasoning is based on ethical grounds rather than economic. Simply stating that people 'deserve' something ignores the cost and other limiting factors of said object and is therefore unrealistic. In more real terms, who is going to pay for everyone to have housing? Are you suggesting that tax rates continue to increase to pay for it? If so, you are reducing any incentive for people to continue working if tax rates are going to continue increasing.

ReputationRep:
    Just because their issues stem from mental illness doesn't mean we can just put them in social housing unfortunately. I also know a lot about the issue as my partner works in this area and both my parents were social workers so dealt with these sort of issues a lot!

The reason we have so many homeless people is not because of immigration, but because of failings in the care and mental health systems. Giving priority to British people would not lower the number of homeless people - not even British homeless people.
    That's what I'm saying. We dump the mentally ill in council estates instead of properly dealing with the issue.

The other thing is if you're mentally ill you often don't have the full ability to access the help you ought to be getting so you might end up homeless.

Regarding the immigration issue, this is more to do with the severe waiting lists in social housing for everyone else. It really doesn't help. Some people wait years.

But yes actual homelessness is affected largely by mental illness and drug dependency issues which is a seperate issue as I talked about in my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)

Isn't it a bit silly to admit immigrants who can't even afford their own accommodation?
    Perhaps, but this comes as part of our EU membership.

How many British people in Poland, Bulgaria and Croatia lived in state-funded accommodation during the same time period?
    I don't know Billy. Do you know?Do you have any supporting figures or is this another one of your ''I think it is true therefore it must be true!'' moments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Perhaps, but this comes as part of our EU membership.
    Which is why he thinks we should leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Which is why he thinks we should leave.
    I know that! :P

Using the same logic I suppose he never leaves his house because his shoes will get dirty.

ReputationRep:
    I know that! :P

Using the same logic I suppose he never leaves his house because his shoes will get dirty.
    By the amount of time he's spouting rubbish on here I guess not.

ReputationRep:
    It's bad enough for me, I am a vulnerable autistic guy who suffers from depression I can't get a council flat so forced to live in private lets where I get ripped off by landlord (not had my deposit back at multiple places) claiming non existant damage and lived next to drug dealers, been burgled a few times and still not elligable for social housing!

ReputationRep:

Britain is not the Europe-wide social-housing provider for Europe's homeless! Thats not why I pay taxes!

Do the EU countries of the citizens reimburse us for our costs? You bet your *******s they dont!

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, the typical leftie personal attacks have started.....

Don't you just love it when the left know they are beaten and resort to person attacks?

ReputationRep:
    I hate you. Seriously. You are a manifestation of Daily Mail ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    It's bad enough for me, I am a vulnerable autistic guy who suffers from depression I can't get a council flat so forced to live in private lets where I get ripped off by landlord (not had my deposit back at multiple places) claiming non existant damage and lived next to drug dealers, been burgled a few times and still not elligable for social housing!
    and yet some of your fellow British citizens in this thread continue to deny you accommodation because they justify an EU immigrant should be allowed to come over here with hardly any skills, end-up jobless and we should have to house them ahead of yourself.

and most of these people aren't even the ones paying the money which funds all this.

Pretty sick, isn't it?

For the record, I have no problem British people being helped, getting them one foot on the ladder etc. However, I do have a problem when we import people to drain on our welfare state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.SMART)
    I hate you. Seriously. You are a manifestation of Daily Mail ignorance.
    If you had a valid point, you would have elaborated.

So its fine for EU immigrants to come here and the UK taxpayer has to work more, pay more tax to fund accommodation for these people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    It's a bit disturbing that posters here actually have an issue with the immigrants rather than the policies. My point being, if you don't like it, change the policy but there is no need to be hostile towards the immigrant. Demand and supply, kids.
    The original post image (and my signature) is from the anti-EU leave.eu group.....

So I am campaigning against the policies, not the people....

ReputationRep:
    But have you seen what a lot of those laws are? I sigh with relief every time the EU intervenes.

Two for example were fishing quota and the neonics moratorium. Thank the lord for the EU.
    The fishing quota which caused mass job losses in Grimsby?

ReputationRep:
    If you had a valid point, you would have elaborated.

So its fine for EU immigrants to come here and the UK taxpayer has to work more, pay more tax to fund accommodation for these people?
    If you were in any way willing to listen to reason I would have elaborated. But your entire thought process is corrupted by lies. It is impossible to argue with the willfully ignorant, it is a waste of words.

Why don't you do some research yourself on 1. Immigration statistics in the UK 2. The dependence of British society and our economy on immigrants and 3. How the social housing system works and then I might consider what you have to say.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.