Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with Same-sex Marriage?
    Yes!
    77.34%
    NO!!!
    22.66%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Well alot of people (much less so today) winced at sexual minorities getting married because they thought it would redefine the concept of marriage; that being between a man and a woman. The truth is, straight people ALREADY redefined what marriage was through the ages. It is now the legal union of two autonomous and equal individuals... that's it.

As for the 'fear' that the gay married couple down the road may affect a straight person's marriage, yeah... how?

"Oh darling, those two men are so in love down the street, it's hard to get an erection in these conditions. Oh how I hate love when it doesn't conform to the parameters with which I'm comfortable with."

"Oh absolutely darling, tea?"
    That was a good giggle, thanks

It is pretty hilarious when people say "but that's not what the bible says" particularly women

Honey...the bible says you basically get sold into marriage and have no rights on the matter...oh and if you eat shrimp at the reception it's an abomination.

But the vast majority of religious people pick and choose what passages they will listen to. Because they have the audacity to think they know better than their god. And the bible is taken as the "word of god" so they are literally disregarding the word of god.

And that is why I cannot respect organised religion. It is full of hypocritical people who pick and choose.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! It's wonderful that England, Ireland, America have all, fairly recently, legalised it. Glad people are becoming more understanding and accepting of something so harmless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)

It is pretty hilarious when people say "but that's not what the bible says"

Honey...the bible says you basically get sold into marriage and if you eat shrimp at the reception it's an abomination.

But the vast majority of religious people pick and choose what passages they will listen to. Because they have the audacity to think they know better than their god. And the bible is taken as the "word of god" so they are literally disregarding the word of god.

And that is why I cannot respect organised religion. It is full of hypocritical people who pick and choose.
    True, they're evil *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    True, they're evil *******s
    I honestly believe most of them have never even read the bible. Or at least not the majority of it.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly believe most of them have never even read the bible. Or at least not the majority of it.
    They've read excerpts from Wikipedia...

ReputationRep:

It is pretty hilarious when people say "but that's not what the bible says" particularly women

Honey...the bible says you basically get sold into marriage and have no rights on the matter...oh and if you eat shrimp at the reception it's an abomination.

Oh, well I'm glad I made you laugh, it was my pleasure

As for the rest of your post, I completely and utterly agree. This is exactly why I'm an atheist, well that and there being no evidence for God lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    They've read excerpts from Wikipedia...
    It's pretty much for the most part just ignorance passed down from generation to generation with a quick google here and there to back up an argument.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support it but I don't care enough to protest against it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Um...what is there to disagree on? :confused:.

ReputationRep:
    No I do not support same-sex marriage, however I am perfectly okay with the idea of a civil partnership. As a Christian, a marriage is a holy religious ceremony and since in our faith a marriage is defined as the partnership of a man and woman, I think it is wrong to enforce change on the Christian faith since, after all, we are in a country in which we are allowed to practise religious free speech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footygirlx)
    I know but what can we do about that.
    Show our solidarity with persecuted gays, and our disapproval of their persecutors, by affording gays equal rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Oh, well I'm glad I made you laugh, it was my pleasure

As for the rest of your post, I completely and utterly agree. This is exactly why I'm an atheist, well that and there being no evidence for God lol
    I'm an atheist myself as I have no faith that a god exist, however as a scientific mind I cannot 100% rule out the possibility of a creator.

However I will rule out the bible with it's ridiculous contradictions and passages that literally make no sense with chicken demons....yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree with same sex marriage. Though I do think religious institutes, regardless of how backwards and archaic they are should be allowed to practice their religion and refuse to marry same sex couples (which is how it currently is). But I don't think there should be any debate whatsoever about same sex marriages being allowed outside of religion and through the state, there is no reason whatsoever this shouldn't be allowed. And anyone who says "gay marriage ruins it for the rest of us" clearly has their own issues. What someone else does with their lives in no way impedes on yours. And it's a pathetic outburst from homophobes.
    Do you think that if you're racist you should be allowed to stop people of certain colours coming into your shop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    No I do not support same-sex marriage, however I am perfectly okay with the idea of a civil partnership. As a Christian, a marriage is a holy religious ceremony and since in our faith a marriage is defined as the partnership of a man and woman, I think it is wrong to enforce change on the Christian faith since, after all, we are in a country in which we are allowed to practise religious free speech
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemayxo)
    I've explained this too many times on TSR. If God wanted gay men then he would of created two men instead of a man and a woman.

But guess what? A woman and a man were created because they can conceive, and it's the natural way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you suggesting that the sole purpose of marriage is to have children?

As for whether it's natural - homosexual behaviour has been observed in approximately 1,500 species of animal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    What do you mean by people like driftaway?
    Throwing the word homophobe around 24/7 and resorting to insults when someone doesn't agree with her.

Edit: Lmao she's done it again.

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Why? What did she do to make you hate all gay people and take away their right to get married to the person they love? Surely your just being a bit over-sensitive
    I never said I hate gay people?
    She has said vile stuff to me, I'm sure she'll enlighten you with it if you ask her.

(Original post by United1892)
    You're lovely aren't you
    Oh you don't know half the stuff she's said to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    ^^
    lool

ReputationRep:
    Nope. There are two types of marriage. A religious marriage, one done in a religious building and/ or done by a religious official which is later officiated by the states (the signing of the marriage certificate). And a civil marriage, one not done with any religious connotations. Why should same sex couples not be allowed the right to a civil marriage?

ReputationRep:
    Civil partnerships differ to marriage in more than name.

A holy religious ceremony? But marriage doesn't have religious undertones. It was not invented by Christianity or any Abrahamic Faith - or any religion, for that matter. It existed before and each religion has had its own rules around it. Even Egyptian religion (which we now call Egyptian Mythology) had rules around marriage. Since marriage and monogamous relationships are the cultural norm, it's no surprise that religions would happen to cover that topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Do you think that if you're racist you should be allowed to stop people of certain colours coming into your shop?
    That is an outrageously stupid comparison, he is perfectly entitled to his religious beliefs

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.