St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammie123)
    I am! Well I hope I am, by school are very strict about missing days, I don't know if they'll support my leave of absence ://

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really hope you can make it! (Maybe we would see each other?)
    It's going to be so exciting, I love Keele!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hello!

Yes that is very informative! We would also recommend that you start your UKCAT revision asap. It really does help!

Also, remember each university used the UKCAT differently, so do look up how each of the universities that you have applied to considers the UKCAT results. For instance, above is an excellent description of how Kings use UKCAT. Other institutions use the UKCAT to decide between borderline applicants. Therefore, if the places you've applied to use UKCAT scores differently, it is important to make your application as strong as possible in all fields!

We've got lots of free information about the UKCAT to get you started on your revision here.

Also, definitely take a peak at the UKCAT website too. It's got full practice tests. Furthermore, this page on The Student Room is very useful for general information. At the bottom of The Student Room page are even more practice questions!

Feel free to ask us if you have any questions!

The Medic Portal
    I've heard that people wouldn't recommend starting now though as you could run out of resources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TianaEsther)
    I've heard that people wouldn't recommend starting now though as you could run out of resources
    Wait until after as exam time. Even if you don't have any wait until June to start preparing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

GCSE: 6A*s 5As
    AS: Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics

Volunteering:
    Youth Club- 3yrs

Work Experience:
    GP and practice nurse shadowing, 1 week hospital placement, 3-5 days childrens hospital abroad.
    Hoping to get more but its so difficult with contacts/family members.

Does anyone recommend any good books to read for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Hello everyone

GCSE: 5A*s 5As
    AS: Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics

Volunteering:
    Youth Club- 3yrs
    Care Home- 6 months

Work Experience:
    GP and practice nurse shadowing, 1 week hospital placement, 3-5 days childrens hospital abroad.
    Hoping to get more but its so difficult with contacts/family members.

Does anyone recommend any good books to read for medicine?
    Although reading to increase understanding is a good idea, I would be hesitant to mention any books in your personal statement. Some good reading that i've come across recently:

Which Medical Schools Should I Apply to?

The Other Side (Kate Granger)

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I have next to no hope I got 3A* 4A 3B 1C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredomstrikes)
    Looks like I have next to no hope I got 3A* 4A 3B 1C
    As long as you get good AS-Levels and good UKCAT/BMAT scores, you should stand a good chance of getting into med school

What were the Bs and Cs in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    As long as you get good AS-Levels and good UKCAT/BMAT scores, you should stand a good chance of getting into med school

What were the Bs and Cs in?

English Literature, Business Studies, PE, IT (IT was just an absolute catastrophe at my school)

ReputationRep:
    English Literature, Business Studies, PE, IT (IT was just an absolute catastrophe at my school)
    Those grades in those subjects shouldn't affect your application massively, you still have good chances of getting in! Make sure you get plenty of work experience/volunteer work though!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Would you advise to begin preparing for UKCAT / BMAT now? In such early days?

I'm scared I'd 'peak' too early as I begun months before.

What's your opinion?
    Hello there!

Well, basically yes - we would recommend starting your UKCAT/BMAT preparation now. But, as you say, to avoid burning out don't go full throttle!

Maybe don't go doing every possible past question just yet, but do get used to the style of the tests. Then hopefully when it comes to the real thing, it will be like second nature to you!

It's definitely a good idea to start familiarising yourself with the format, time pressures and general content/style of questions. Why not spend just a an hour or so a week on revision and research to start with? Then as the deadlines get closer, you can gradually increase the number of hours per week that you put in.

Remember, because almost everyone who applies to study Medicine is a high academic achiever, the UKCAT and BMAT tests are incredibly important for helping universities to select the best candidates. Ultimately, you would like to be one of those 'best candidates'! So, to do this, you need to really master the aptitude tests, to give yourself the best chance of getting interviews and offers.

Please feel free to check out our free information on the UKCAT and BMAT.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that an E in FSMQ taken in year 11 will disadvantage me in any form?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I am doing chemistry, Biology, maths and business studies
    I did my GCSE's in Sri Lanka which we call as O/L's. I got 8A's. It is the highest we can achieve in our country. Hopefully unis in England will recognize it. I am hoping to apply to Oxford University.
    I also worked in a GP surgery and volunteer in peace hospice charity
    Recommend to read 'Music of life' which is an amazing book

ReputationRep:
    I got an early offer from Cardiff for this year so if anyone has any questions about applications/stats/tips etc. feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    I got an early offer from Cardiff for this year so if anyone has any questions about applications/stats/tips etc. feel free to ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much work experience did you do?

ReputationRep:
    How much work experience did you do?
    I didn't go overboard on work experience. I did a few days in the hospital going around different wards and departments (renal, vascular clinic etc.) I spent an afternoon watching hand surgery and then a day in ITU shadowing the doctors there. I also did a few days in a GPs surgery.

I didn't do a great deal as I'm a hospital volunteer anyway and I volunteer with a charity that takes disabled children on holiday for a week, so I felt this was sufficient. My advice would be don't panic if you don't feel you have enough work experience unless the medical school you're interested in specifically states they want a set time (I think a few ask for one week/two weeks). It's all about reflecting on what you've learned, not how long you spent there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What were your A/S grades?

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing AS level in India. I intend to give the may-june series for both As and A2. I shall give the As exam this may june and the A2 in 2017. Problem is, being an international student, I will need a visa at the end. But since may june results release in mid august and im not sure if getting an unconditional offer and a cas id and then the visa process can be completed in less than a month as course starts in September

Suggestions are welcome

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalpzmadyson)
    What were your A/S grades?
    I got AAAB and then a C in AS maths. DON'T feel as though you have to do maths or physics at A2 if you don't want to. I don't really enjoy maths at all and I think it reflected in my AS grade. I was only a couple of UMS off a B so I could resit it but I don't enjoy the subject so there is absolutely no point.

Loads of people told me 'ah for medicine you need maths or physics'- completely untrue unless you're applying to a few colleges in Cambridge. If I managed to get an offer from Cardiff, the 3rd best medical school in the UK behind Oxford and Cambridge with Biology, Chemistry and English Language at A2 then it's pretty safe to say maths or physics aren't necessities!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    Wait until after as exam time. Even if you don't have any wait until June to start preparing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I thought about too. Have you done the UKCAT and/or BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TianaEsther)
    That's what I thought about too. Have you done the UKCAT and/or BMAT?
    I've already applied for 2016. My advice would also be to do the ukcat in August before you go back to school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.