Turn on thread page Beta

Moving to London. TSR what should I know? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Once I walked up the left then this fat ****ing american douchebag just stood there on the left. I'm pretty sure he knew I was there. There was a lot of people looking up at me, then I yelled: "Excuse me please" and the fat **** finally moved this ass out of the way. - stupid ****!
    I mean was it really necessary to mention nationality? >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I mean was it really necessary to mention nationality? >.>
    Yes, because americans are the most common culprit, from experience. Also they talk super loudly. The whole ****ing train carriage can hear their crappy conversation! And when they walk down the street they take up the whole pavement. Americans are the most annoying tourists ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Thanks. How much was your rent and were you sharing?

I didn't know that, I thought they went everywhere. Why did your housemate tell you not to use them?

I haven't been round London that much, felt most threatened at Victoria Coach station tbh - loads of dodgy guys there
    There were four of us sharing a house with a garden for £620pw iirc. I paid 160 pw because I had the second best bedroom (the largest one, but no ensuite -- one of the others had an ensuite). We had no lounge, but a sofa and enough communal space in the kitchen, so it was fine. For comparison, one of the first things I saw in Camden was a ****ty, pokey ground floor flat with a metal gate on the door and graffiti everywhere outside for what would have worked out at like 180 pw each iirc.

He didn't so much tell me not to use them as arrived home one night at 4am and told me the story of how he'd left the club at 1:30 and had been messing around with the night bus since then. It was prevented from leaving because it was overcrowded with drunk people or something. I really couldn't be bothered with that.

it was actually really convenient in the day time -- 20 mins to bank from my door, 10-15 mins walk to canary wharf, and it's a nice walk because there's water everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Its really uncommon here.. I once went on a bus outside London and was surprised how people would casually talk to you. I suppose people in London just can't be arsed for small talks :indiff:
    When people do that I get paranoid. I feel like they're about to mug or assault me! It's so unusual and scary to have someone talk to you on public transport :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    There were four of us sharing a house with a garden for £620pw iirc. I paid 160 pw because I had the second best bedroom (the largest one, but no ensuite -- one of the others had an ensuite). We had no lounge, but a sofa and enough communal space in the kitchen, so it was fine. For comparison, one of the first things I saw in Camden was a ****ty, pokey ground floor flat with a metal gate on the door and graffiti everywhere outside for what would have worked out at like 180 pw each iirc.

He didn't so much tell me not to use them as arrived home one night at 4am and told me the story of how he'd left the club at 1:30 and had been messing around with the night bus since then. It was prevented from leaving because it was overcrowded with drunk people or something. I really couldn't be bothered with that.

it was actually really convenient in the day time -- 20 mins to bank from my door, 10-15 mins walk to canary wharf, and it's a nice walk because there's water everywhere.
    That's actually really good for London! Yeah, maybe it's just me, but being really "arty" Camden seems full of drugs and stuff? Someone on another thread said it was a bit trashy

I would hate that on a night out :eek:

10 to 15 minutes to Canary Wharf is a great commute IMO. Did you ever go on "nights out" around the Canary Wharf though? I heard it has some great bars
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks for saying! Where is the nasty stuff, further from Canary Wharf I'm guessing? :lol:

I don't really get on with hipsters :ninja: I love "alternative" culture but the ones I've met have been really stuck up haha

Like on that horrible Made in Chelsea show?
    Yup, outside the CW development. There are a few ok places too.

Tbh I've never met a hipster IRL, but I've heard all sorts about them :lol:

Kind of, but typically those areas attract some of the richest people in the world. For example, Russian billionaire (and Chelsea FC owner) Roman Abramovich lives in Kensington. Then there are the Middle-Eastern royals too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's actually really good for London! Yeah, maybe it's just me, but being really "arty" Camden seems full of drugs and stuff? Someone on another thread said it was a bit trashy

10 to 15 minutes to Canary Wharf is a great commute IMO. Did you ever go on "nights out" around the Canary Wharf though? I heard it has some great bars
    It does seem a bit that way. I'm quite happy that I don't know too much about it, because I didn't live there

I went to a few pubs and bars in CW and ate there a few times too, but it's not that much of a happening place on the weekends. Also, Greenwich is cheaper, and it wasn't much more of a walk away.

If I wanted to go 'out out' it was usually the centre.

ReputationRep:

I went to Camden today. It's not trashy. It used to have a bad reputation but in the last 10 years it has really turned its' image around. When you are down visit it and make up your own mind on the matter . Don't listen to everyone's opinion, make your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Yup, outside the CW development. There are a few ok places too.

Tbh I've never met a hipster IRL, but I've heard all sorts about them :lol:

Kind of, but typically those areas attract some of the richest people in the world. For example, Russian billionaire (and Chelsea FC owner) Roman Abramovich lives in Kensington. Then there are the Middle-Eastern royals too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are the OK places/nasty areas? Ty in advance

I thought it was just stereotypes before I met them, I don't like judging people. But they're some of the rudest people I've met definitely avoid :lol:

Well I won't be earning billions that's for sure

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    It does seem a bit that way. I'm quite happy that I don't know too much about it, because I didn't live there

I went to a few pubs and bars in CW and ate there a few times too, but it's not that much of a happening place on the weekends. Also, Greenwich is cheaper, and it wasn't much more of a walk away.

If I wanted to go 'out out' it was usually the centre.
    Heh

Greenwich is across the river so do you usually walk through the tunnel even at night?

Do most people "go out" in the centre then? What's a good area if you go out often and don't want a long night commute?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?
    Central London is really lively, amazing nightlife, lots of things to do, inc clubs/shopping/pubs etc etc. Its expensive, driving is a mission in central and parking is expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Haha :lol: Some taxi drivers in Blackpool are really dodgy and will take routes I know are longer on purpose while talking my ear off, I hate that

Is it for inflation? I heard guys try to start fights with other guys more but unless you swear at people or something or something that's still not on :nope:

By starting a conversation do you mean chatting them up or just general convos? I'm from up North so the latter is pretty common. I love good food, how expensive is it and where are the best restaurants? :drool: Is Soho that good that you keep going back?
    Inflation yes but I do believe for a few years they hiked it above inflation :holmes: Well the drivers here always tell me which way they're going first and I know my way around a bit now, they can't cheat me :proud:, it just is a matter of traffic luck with the traffic. Hmm maybe? I've not seen a lot of fighting in Soho. There's police often about walking by and security guards everywhere and stuff. You're more likely to step glass than have see a fight tbh. I do wonder how many glasses are broken on average in bars :beard:

I mean general convos. Though you can chat up people too I can assure you we are not friendly people talk to strangers kind of people in London unless we've had a few drinks!

I think it's more the case of my favourite bars and clubs being in the surrounding area and being dragged out by friends to see a play or musical or go to and LGBTQ+ bar (which there are plenty). I know a lot of gays and lesbains :yucky: so I can't really escape LGBTQ+ central even if I tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Inflation yes but I do believe for a few years they hiked it above inflation :holmes: Well the drivers here always tell me which way they're going first and I know my way around a bit now, they can't cheat me :proud:, it just is a matter of traffic luck with the traffic. Hmm maybe? I've not seen a lot of fighting in Soho. There's police often about walking by and security guards everywhere and stuff. You're more likely to step glass than have see a fight tbh. I do wonder how many glasses are broken on average in bars :beard:

I mean general convos. Though you can chat up people too I can assure you we are not friendly people talk to strangers kind of people in London unless we've had a few drinks!

I think it's more the case of my favourite bars and clubs being in the surrounding area and being dragged out by friends to see a play or musical or go to and LGBTQ+ bar (which there are plenty). I know a lot of gays and lesbains :yucky: so I can't really escape LGBTQ+ central even if I tried.
    I always hassle the drivers if they seem to be taking an odd route haha. Sometimes they just go slowly instead though :nope:

Yeah, the security guards in Blackpool all know me now and look out for me because I go out so much :lol: I was going home alone in Manchester though and some of them were a bit dodgy, one even followed me down the road for a bit :grumble:

That's not always a bad thing though. Some older guys up North pretend to be "friendly" but are obviously just creeping hard.

What bars/clubs would you recommend? I didn't know Soho was LGBTQ+ central (I'm a noob haha), am bicurious so was actually thinking of exploring that once I got to London :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I always hassle the drivers if they seem to be taking an odd route haha. Sometimes they just go slowly instead though :nope:

Yeah, the security guards in Blackpool all know me now and look out for me because I go out so much :lol: I was going home alone in Manchester though and some of them were a bit dodgy, one even followed me down the road for a bit :grumble:

That's not always a bad thing though. Some older guys up North pretend to be "friendly" but are obviously just creeping hard.

What bars/clubs would you recommend? I didn't know Soho was LGBTQ+ central (I'm a noob haha), am bicurious so was actually thinking of exploring that once I got to London :teehee:
    Old people here have their posh looking pubs in Leicester Square We're always out of place when we do a pub crawl in Leicester Square

I'll send you a PM later or something, I will probably rant and give you the lowkey gossip about every single one place I've been to

Bicurious huh, I'm full on hardcore bisexual, get on my level ***** :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Old people here have their posh looking pubs in Leicester Square We're always out of place when we do a pub crawl in Leicester Square

I'll send you a PM later or something, I will probably rant and give you the lowkey gossip about every single one place I've been to

Bicurious huh, I'm full on hardcore bisexual, get on my level ***** :pierre:
    So Leicester Square is more where older people go out? I like going out where there are older people though it has a cool vibe. Btw what do you think of Fabric? I don't really like electronic music but have heard it's a must do club.

Thanks, that would be so helpful

I'm only starting off, take me a while to get on your level :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Stand on the f****** right side on any escalator in a tube station

ReputationRep:
    I'm going at the start of December when it will probably be freezing :eek:

Not decided on an area to live in yet but I can afford something pretty decent

What should I know?
    London is ****.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid eye-contact at all costs, unless you want to melt...

ReputationRep:
    So Leicester Square is more where older people go out? I like going out where there are older people though it has a cool vibe. Btw what do you think of Fabric? I don't really like electronic music but have heard it's a must do club.

Thanks, that would be so helpful

I'm only starting off, take me a while to get on your level :getmecoat:
    I have never been to Fabric, I don't like electro music either. I prefer dancing to cheesy music, I am your guy if you want to go to 90s discos :proud: Even though my music library is far from 90s disco I see a lot of old people in Leicester Square pubs a lot on the weekend, maybe it's because it's the West End, they have pre drinks and stuff before going to see a show :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Don't be chatty to randoms on public transport and for the love of God, stand on the right of underground escalators
    Oh Yes!!

ReputationRep:
    Everything is expensive, get an oyster card, don't start chit chat with random strangers, rush hour is horrific, don't make eye contact with chavs, cinema tickets vary to where in london you go, tubes may seem really complicated but you'll understand really quick. And you can always find something to do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.