Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015/16 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    My real problem with the appointment is that I'd be starting Jamie George.
    Yeah, I think there is way to much competition for the hooker position to declare one as captain.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hartley is a weird choice. Fair enough, he plays with aggression, but will the captaincy hinder that edge which gives his game so much? Likewise, if he's always in disciplinary hearings, it's hardly a good example.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Hartley is a weird choice. Fair enough, he plays with aggression, but will the captaincy hinder that edge which gives his game so much? Likewise, if he's always in disciplinary hearings, it's hardly a good example.
    I can't help feeling he must be a placeholder captain - even if someone like George, LCD or Tommy Taylor isn't go-to #1 hooker now then they may well be soon. I can only presume someone like Clifford, Itoje or Launchbury will take over in a year or two. If Hartley leads us into RWC 2019 (and given he's already missed two World Cups through bans it's unlikely tbh) I will be extremely surprised.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If Hartley leads us into RWC 2019 (and given he's already missed two World Cups through bans it's unlikely tbh) I will be extremely surprised.
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of captains being an automatic name on the teamsheet, Is it that unreasonable to say that the player who's place in the XV is least under threat is... Robshaw? Been easily the best 6 in the prem so far this season, as well as that, has captaincy experience, well respected, leads by example... Robshaw for England captain?

A bit tongue in cheek nonetherless but I'm pretty sure that if Robshaw had not been England captain over the past four years, he would be now. Not quite sure what point I'm making from that though - maybe merely that the obvious choice is not necessarily the best choice?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Full England squad for game against Scotland:

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester), Jack Clifford, Joe Marler, Chris Robshaw (all Harlequins), Jamie George, George Kruis, Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Dylan Hartley, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes (Northampton), James Haskell, Joe Launchbury (Wasps).

Backs: Mike Brown, Danny Care (both Harlequins), Ollie Devoto, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph, Anthony Watson (Bath), Owen Farrell, Alex Goode (Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter), Ben Youngs (Leicester).

I would suggest therefore:
    Marler, Hartley (c), Cole
    Launchbury, Kruis
    Robshaw, B Vunipola, Haskell
    B Youngs, Ford
    Farrell, Joseph
    Nowell, Brown, Watson

George, M Vunipola, Hill, Lawes, Clifford, Care, Devoto, Goode

Looks like a Lancaster selection and where the hell is Itoje?

ReputationRep:
    Really hope that that isn't the squad for the Scotland game, would be surprised if it is changed though. It also does look vey much like a Lancaster selection: not necessarily a bad thing but slightly strange after all the talk of Jones coming in and completely changing things. Really really hope that Devoto starts at 12 and not Farrell though: 12 is never going to be Farrell's long term position, so no point putting him there to begin with... stick him or Ford at 10 and have a 12 at 12...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure I'm right in saying that there won't be a team GB 7's team at the Olympic Games this summer (someone just confirm it?). Thoughts on the matter?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Pretty sure I'm right in saying that there won't be a team GB 7's team at the Olympic Games this summer (someone just confirm it?). Thoughts on the matter?
    What??

Unless something's happened very recently then Simon Amor will be coaching a GB (Eng/Wal/Sco) team in Rio.

We don't have arguments like in football, you see.

ReputationRep:
    What??

Unless something's happened very recently then Simon Amor will be coaching a GB (Eng/Wal/Sco) team in Rio.

We don't have arguments like in football, you see.
    Don't know why I thought otherwise. Had it in my mind that there'll be no team represented by GB for a while now, for whatever reason.

Glad that we have. Love watching 7's, so many dangerous teams, where anyone can beat anyone.

Tbf, football was represented during the last games.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Tbf, football was represented during the last games.
    It took a lot of negotiating and will likely never happen again though. (Not that we would have qualified for 2016 anyway.)

I don't see why we won't have a 7s team at every Games that it is at though, as long as we can qualify.

ReputationRep:
    Watched my brothers youth game earlier where the game was called off after 30 minutes due to them being 52-0 up. Painful watching.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Looks like Sarries might struggle a bit with all their call-ups, today was a very lucky escape.

I'm rather less annoyed about Itoje's release from the England camp after his display today though.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Sarries might struggle a bit with all their call-ups, today was a very lucky escape.
    Very lucky escape for the Tigers too! Hard battled wins for both clubs!

ReputationRep:
    Welsh team announced earlier today

G. Davies, Biggar, North, Roberts, J.Davies, Tom James, Anscombe,
    Evans, Baldwin, Lee, Wyn-Jones, Charteris, Warbuton, Tipuric, Faletau.

Personally would've had Matthew Morgan at 15, but he doesn't even make the squad. Glad to see the centre duo of Roberts and Davies back together, much needed! Only other talking point is Tipuric in over Lydiate. Certainly offers us more in attack, but you can't ignore Lydiates defensive attributes.

ReputationRep:
    15. Mike Brown
    14. Anthony Watson
    13. Jonathan Joseph
    12. Owen Farrell
    11. Jack Nowell
    10.George Ford
    9. Danny Care

1. Joe Marler
    2. Dylan Hartley (captain)
    3. Dan Cole
    4. Joe Launchbury
    5. George Kruis
    6. Chris Robshaw
    7. James Haskell
    8. Billy Vunipola.

16. Jamie George
    17. Mako Vunipola
    18. Paul Hill
    19. Courtney Lawes
    20. Jack Clifford
    21. Ben Youngs
    22. Alex Goode
    23. Ollie Devoto.

ReputationRep:
    Never really watched Farrell play many club games, so my view may be very wrong, but is he really capable of playing 12?

ReputationRep:
    Never really watched Farrell play many club games, so my view may be very wrong, but is he really capable of playing 12?
    I haven't seen enough of him to comment 100% but I'm guessing he's just in place to have a second fly half on the pitch incase Ford gets tied up. If Manu was fit, he'd be playing 12 so Owen isn't first choice.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I certainly think he's better at 10, and he hasn't played an awful lot of 12 recently, but having said that, until early 2013 he quite rarely started at 10 for Sarries and was mostly deployed as a centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1306)
    I haven't seen enough of him to comment 100% but I'm guessing he's just in place to have a second fly half on the pitch incase Ford gets tied up. If Manu was fit, he'd be playing 12 so Owen isn't first choice.
    Tuilagi and Joseph sounds like a rather tasty centre partnership. Don't think many teams would like coming up against those in defence.

I certainly think he's better at 10, and he hasn't played an awful lot of 12 recently, but having said that, until early 2013 he quite rarely started at 10 for Sarries and was mostly deployed as a centre.
    Do you think he can be targeted at 12 or are his defensive capabilities up to scratch?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.