Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Do you also advocate slavery by private individuals? If not, then why is it okay for the state to do it and not an individual?
    Because the state is much greater than any individual and has the moral authority to act for the good of all individuals.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Because the state is much greater than any individual and has the moral authority to act for the good of all individuals.
    Therefore has the moral authority to execute people for the good of all individuals.

ReputationRep:
    Therefore has the moral authority to execute people for the good of all individuals.
    I agree it would in a hypothetical case where it did create the greatest good, but I can't think of a non-absurd situation where it ever could, especially considering the needs of the offender must also be considered in any criminal justice decision.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree it would in a hypothetical case where it did create the greatest good, but I can't think of a non-absurd situation where it ever could, especially considering the needs of the offender must also be considered in any criminal justice decision.
    Tell me house slavery, seizure of assets, and forced imprisonment is for the best of the offender.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me house slavery, seizure of assets, and forced imprisonment is for the best of the offender.
    It isn't, considered in isolation; but it can be the minimal interference with their own well-being which creates an optimal amount of good for the rest of society. This is what I believe is the criterion for a 'correct' criminal sentencing decision, and I don't believe there are any situations where the death penalty fits this.

FWIW I'd recommend reading the first chapter of Hart's Punishment and Responsibility before going much further; right now your concept of punishment seems incoherent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It isn't, considered in isolation; but it can be the minimal interference with their own well-being which creates an optimal amount of good for the rest of society. This is what I believe is the criterion for a 'correct' criminal sentencing decision, and I don't believe there are any situations where the death penalty fits this.

FWIW I'd recommend reading the first chapter of Hart's Punishment and Responsibility before going much further; right now your concept of punishment seems incoherent.
    I'm jumping apart trying to pic holes in arguments, not putting forwards my own view

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Birchington By the way, sorry if I came across with passive aggression in my post. That's just the way I present myself in debates.
    That's fine. I won't reply to your original post as I don't comment during Bill discussions.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask, how does that trigger your PTSD?
    And I'm sorry; I never knew about that. I thought it was simply you didn't like two men kissing for reasons probably like homosexuality is wrong/makes me more uncomfortable than a man and a woman kissing.
    I was being sarcastic about the whole ‘trigger melodrama’ but honestly, it makes me feel uneasy because it's the classic ‘in your face’ manifestation of LGBT activism and children who come here can see it.

Anyway, it's nothing Adblock Plus couldn't take care of…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    I was being sarcastic about the whole ‘trigger melodrama’ but honestly, it makes me feel uneasy because it's the classic ‘in your face’ manifestation of LGBT activism and children who come here can see it.

That's ridiculous. If ONE picture of a couple of guys kissing is "in your face" how do you think LGB people feel about things? Depictions of straight couples getting it on are literally everywhere.

ReputationRep:

You lying...

huff, I stop myself from saying that derogatory word, synonymous with vagina, because I'd probably get a card.

I want to take back any civility I had, for lying to me like that, because although I doubted your claims, I never called you out on it. How bloody rude can you get. You could've at least been brutally honest with me from the beginning.

Just being perhaps a little pedantic, activism I thought has to be intentional, and I wasn't doing it for those purposes; I done it merely because I enjoy it. The process of me changing my avatar was catalysed by the creation of a thread someone made in response to having a problem with similar avatar (I already planned to change mine from the Pingu one, this merely catalysed the progress of my plans.)
    Have you called out any of those with a shirtless man, or a woman in a bikini? I guess not. That's indecent. :laugh: Give me a break. Everyone else should grow up if they have a problem with it. Considering homosexuality and heterosexuality are equal, if they have a problem with one, they should have a problem with the other to the same extent. If not, get lost, and I don't care.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with you just saying that you find it inappropriate, providing that you'd find a man and a woman kissing inappropriate too, and you'd call someone else out on it if they had one on that.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo, the death sentence is too good for them - let them rot away in a jail cell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to take back any civility I had, for lying to me like that, because although I doubted your claims, I never called you out on it. How bloody rude can you get. You could've at least been brutally honest with me from the beginning.
    No, I didn't lie to you, I was being sarcastic, and there's a huge difference. I chose to make it explicit when it seemed that you fell for the BS exactly because I didn't want you to believe it.

It's quite worrying though that someone can just say ‘boo-hoo, it triggers me’ and add the classic buzzwords like ‘anxiety’ or ‘PTSD’ (that one was a gigantic hint which you apparently noticed) and you're suddenly sorry.

No, I don't think the two are equal so no, I don't feel the same about heterosexual displays of affection, though I still think it would be tasteless to use such displays as one's avatar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo, the death sentence is too good for them - let them rot away in a jail cell.
    Interesting twist. :awesome: It's just too bad that the taxpayers have to pay for their cosy accommodation.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Interesting twist. :awesome: It's just too bad that the taxpayers have to pay for their cosy accommodation.
    It's too bad that they get such good conditions in them as well! Those convicted of the high end crimes should not have such a good quality of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's too bad that they get such good conditions in them as well! Those convicted of the high end crimes should not have such a good quality of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly! Where are those good old stone floors and rats to keep them company?

ReputationRep:
    That's absolutely barbaric and unjustifiable.
    Punishing innocent paedophiles is firstly punishing them for crimes they haven't committed, and is introducing something akin to thought-crime, no matter how much you may disagree with these "thoughts", so to speak.

That isn't justice, that's authoritarian.

Does that mean that people should be genetically profiled at birth and those who are more predisposed to psychopathy should be jailed indefinitely?
    Idgaf if it sounds authoritarian, if it stops just one child being raped I'd consider that mission accomplished. Like I say, it should be a last resort, and maybe they should only receive chemical castration if they do actually act on their feelings. But still, I'd sleep soundly if it were to happen.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Exactly! Where are those good old stone floors and rats to keep them company?
    Don't insult the rats with their presence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't insult the rats with their presence

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They can have an occasional bite here and there so I guess it's alright. Almost like a parasitic symbiosis.

Or are you suggesting to just execute them after all?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    They can have an occasional bite here and there so I guess it's alright. Almost like a parasitic symbiosis.

Or are you suggesting to just execute them after all?
    You have a point there

Nay, I'm suggesting put them in an old fashioned cell with modernised security

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.