Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Yeah but the 'sheet of paper' mentioned made me (subconsciously to an extent) think of them as line segments which messed up my solution to the problem.
    Yeah, I spent so long on that question... I was debating whether it was a finite or infinite plane for a while because I first assumed it was finite, making all of the choices possible. Badly worded question imo.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from UCL for Maths (which I don't plan to accept lol) but I only got Merit in Kangaroo in Year 12. It's probably because of my high AS UMS scores, so I'd say qualifying for BMO isn't that important if very well in your AS M/FM modules.

I don't know about your statement. I've heard about a lot of people who have qualified for BMO1 but not done well in their AS Levels, so UCL probably wouldn't give them offers.
    I got an offer for maths too They likely care about your AS UMS more than any maths challenge related things, (thankfully mine was high) but having it on there is always an added bonus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    Yeah, I spent so long on that question... I was debating whether it was a finite or infinite plane for a while because I first assumed it was finite, making all of the choices possible. Badly worded question imo.
    It dropped me down from 99 to 94. Really gonna be annoyed if the boundary is 99 or less (assuming it's not 94 or less which would never happen anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    I got an offer for maths too They likely care about your AS UMS more than any maths challenge related things, (thankfully mine was high) but having it on there is always an added bonus.
    What UMS did you get out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    What UMS did you get out of curiosity?
    For Maths 298 (dropped 2 marks in core 1 lol)
    Further Maths 276 (silly mistakes in FP1)

you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    For Maths 298 (dropped 2 marks in core 1 lol)
    Further Maths 276 (silly mistakes in FP1)

you?
    Nice!
    296 and 298. Yes I did better in FM, wtf.
    Only lost marks in stats modules XD. Damn S1...

ReputationRep:
    Nice!
    296 and 298. Yes I did better in FM, wtf.
    Only lost marks in stats modules XD. Damn S1...
    Nice! I found stats the nicest aha, for FM we did D1 and NM which imo are the worst and least useful modules -.-

ReputationRep:
    How did you do? 125?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    Nice! I found stats the nicest aha, for FM we did D1 and NM which imo are the worst and least useful modules -.-
    Hate stats so much that I'm not doing any stats questions for STEP XD.
    We also did D1 for FM, haha. Definitely agree with "least useful", would have been much, much more helpful to have sat M1 instead so I could sit an extra mech. module this year. I actually dropped out of D2 lessons this year to self-teach FP2 lol.
    What's NM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCalver)
    Surely if you can't qualify for BMO its not likely that you're going to do very well?
    This isnt true at all. I didnt qualify for free in yr 13 but got 40/60 in bmo1 innyr 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    How did you do? 125?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yah

ReputationRep:
    yah
    My gosh you're good at maths. I'm also applying for Cambridge maths!
    Do you know roughly how many Cambridge maths applicants are BMO2 qualifiers, early STEP-sitters etc.? Not sure if I'm gonna be able to compete with them...

ReputationRep:
    We also did D1 for FM, haha. Definitely agree with "least useful", would have been much, much more helpful to have sat M1 instead so I could sit an extra mech. module this year. I actually dropped out of D2 lessons this year to self-teach FP2 lol.
    What's NM?
    Yeah I'm doing M1 and M2 this year. It's numerical methods - all about finding numerical solutions to equations, errors, rates of convergence etc. Nearly every question involves working to 6dp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    What's NM?
    See how these two people get really high UMS because they did the easy modules like D1 and NM. So unfair lmao, should be set modules you have to do so schools can't get their students better UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    Yeah I'm doing M1 and M2 this year. It's numerical methods - all about finding numerical solutions to equations, errors, rates of convergence etc. Nearly every question involves working to 6dp.
    Ahh, didn't know there was such a thing! I thought that all numerical methods stuff was contained within the pure modules, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    See how these two people get really high UMS because they did the easy modules like D1 and NM. So unfair lmao, should be a set few modules you have to do.
    Lol wut

ReputationRep:
    Would 69 be enough for silver?

ReputationRep:
    See how these two people get really high UMS because they did the easy modules like D1 and NM. So unfair lmao, should be set modules you have to do so schools can't get their students better UMS.
    lol what are you on about? I'd have much rather taken any other module than NM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCalver)
    Lol wut
    Is it that you can't read, you disagree orrrr?

ReputationRep:
    See how these two people get really high UMS because they did the easy modules like D1 and NM. So unfair lmao, should be a set few modules you have to do.
    I feel quite insulted by that, implying I wouldn't have got such high marks without sitting D1. And everyone is set a few modules that they have to do - the pure ones.
    If I got 100 in FP1 and 98 in S2 which is an A2 module, how can you say that I only got high UMS because I did an 'easy' module like D1?
    Getting 100 in FP1, was way, WAY easier than getting 100 in D1, anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.