Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    I was trying to figure out which 5 letter swear words would fit :lol:

Yeah there's some interesting ones in there, makes me wonder where he comes up with them. Though I suspect that's a trade secret
    sh*te questions :rofl: jk jk

He probably understands the content so well he can come up with those questions as easily as we could come up with questions for first years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Well now I feel like a retard lol - I find it tough af and I do this fully guided in class with a teacher. Chapter 3 as well in Fp2 (complex numbers) also seems like a ***** to relearn.

Agree. That's a good plan
    Nah, no one who does FP3 is a retard, in fact you could argue anyone who didn't pick further maths for alevel and isnt doing FP3 has a few mental problems

sometimes self teaching is easier though, you do it at your own pace and you feel more sense of achievement learning it yourself idk, it's a lovely feeling to self teach maths

Yes loci in FP2 is also hard, damn loci have mercy and let me have my A* :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Nah, no one who does FP3 is a retard, in fact you could argue anyone who didn't pick further maths for alevel and isnt doing FP3 has a few mental problems

sometimes self teaching is easier though, you do it at your own pace and you feel more sense of achievement learning it yourself idk, it's a lovely feeling to self teach maths

Yes loci in FP2 is also hard, damn loci have mercy and let me have my A* :cry2:
    :rofl:

I agree definitely. I think one thing every (A)FM'er should experience is self teaching a module. You really have to get it in your brain yourself, using all the resources you can. It's such a great sense of accomplishment.

Back in KS3 when we poked fun at loci because all they were were stupid sheep attached to a peg running in circles. Now it's come back to bite us :whip:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

I agree definitely. I think one thing every (A)FM'er should experience is self teaching a module. You really have to get it in your brain yourself, using all the resources you can. It's such a great sense of accomplishment.

Back in KS3 when we poked fun at loci because all they were were stupid sheep attached to a peg running in circles. Now it's come back to bite us :whip:
    Definitely agree, plus once you self teach you realise just how slow maths class actually is, so you not only learn the alevel maths content but you also have time to read into it and really understand it (which I guess is missing a little from my further maths work, but I will work on my understanding during the next few months)

damn sheep...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree, plus once you self teach you realise just how slow maths class actually is, so you not only learn the alevel maths content but you also have time to read into it and really understand it (which I guess is missing a little from my further maths work, but I will work on my understanding during the next few months)

damn sheep...
    True although you can also appreciate how relaxing maths class is too :rofl:

ReputationRep:

damn sheep...
    I can relate to this completely. Last year I was taught C1 C2 C3 M1 S1 before I got bored and started self teaching modules, my classmates think I'm mad but I'm covering content much faster and I'm doing it my way. I think the sense of accomplishment when doing something completely by yourself is one of the most rewarding feelings, especially in maths.

ReputationRep:
    True although you can also appreciate how relaxing maths class is too :rofl:
    I finished further maths (FP3 inc) before my maths class finished C3, so you can imagine how straight forward those lessons were

Not to have a go at others maths ability or anything, because believe me I'm far from amazing, but do you ever spend time on the maths forums over the weekends (STEP, FM, TeeEms posts, Hard integral etc) and begin to think that is the average ability for alevel students? Then go back to school on monday or whatever and realise just how much you overestimate maths students
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This happened me big time coming back after christmas holidays

For example; yesterday a guy in my Core 4 maths class didn't understand how -1<x<1 was the same as |x|<1...

ReputationRep:
    I finished further maths (FP3 inc) before my maths class finished C3, so you can imagine how straight forward those lessons were

Not to have a go at others maths ability or anything, because believe me I'm far from amazing, but do you ever spend time on the maths forums over the weekends (STEP, FM, TeeEms posts, Hard integral etc) and begin to think that is the average ability for alevel students? Then go back to school on monday or whatever and realise just how much you overestimate maths students
    Spoiler:
    Show

For example; yesterday a guy in my Core 4 maths class didn't understand how -1<x<1 was the same as |x|<1...
    I get the feeling, yeah.

I'm not even taking STEP and I love looking at (and sometimes having a crack at) TeeEm's questions. It does make a lot of things seem trivial.

That poor soul :rofl: maybe he was just having a bad day aha

But in all fairness, what my strengths are, are others' weaknesses.

And in the same way what my weaknesses are, are others' strengths.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Usually from scrolling through stack exchange and some of the hard integral/products threads on here I realise how inadequate I am mathematically at this moment in time :lol:

I'm speaking presently because I hope to change that in the future

Edit: I'd exercise caution though, don't get too overwhelmed because you're presently top in your class (and probably school), from what I've heard it gets very much real at university

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling, yeah.

I'm not even taking STEP and I love looking at (and sometimes having a crack at) TeeEm's questions. It does make a lot of things seem trivial.

That poor soul :rofl: maybe he was just having a bad day aha

But in all fairness, what my strengths are, are others' weaknesses.

And in the same way what my weaknesses are, are others' strengths.
    it's extremely nice practice for the understanding of when and why certain things work, I've only done 4 STEP papers and already I feel myself getting a little better, I don't give up on questions as easily now. The lack of structure is quite cool too. TeeEm's questions are usually much beyond my ability, however they are fun to look at, i agree

I hope so :laugh:

Of course, no one can be good at everything i suppose

ReputationRep:
    Usually from scrolling through stack exchange and some of the hard integral/products threads on here I realise how inadequate I am mathematically at this moment in time :lol:

I'm speaking presently because I hope to change that in the future

Edit: I'd exercise caution though, don't get too overwhelmed because you're presently top in your class (and probably school), from what I've heard it gets very much real at university
    stack exchange is very scary, some absolute geniuses on there :eek:

make that the two of us

ReputationRep:
    stack exchange is very scary, some absolute geniuses on there :eek:

make that the two of us
    I think a lot of the stuff on there is inaccessible at the moment because I don't have the knowledge to understand it. I hope after/during my degree it will all become clear

But before my degree, there is FP3

ReputationRep:
    it's extremely nice practice for the understanding of when and why certain things work, I've only done 4 STEP papers and already I feel myself getting a little better, I don't give up on questions as easily now. The lack of structure is quite cool too. TeeEm's questions are usually much beyond my ability, however they are fun to look at, i agree

I hope so :laugh:

Of course, no one can be good at everything i suppose
    The structure thing is really a good way to separate those who just learn from past papers.

And yes true

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of the stuff on there is inaccessible at the moment because I don't have the knowledge to understand it. I hope after/during my degree it will all become clear

But before my degree, there is FP3
    Sometimes even just reading it, it seems impossible to understand, exciting at the same time though

You're lucky to still have the learning part to do, im stuck with boring past papers :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    The structure thing is really a good way to separate those who just learn from past papers.

And yes true
    Definitely, last years maths exams really caught out people who just learnt mark schemes I think, some tricky questions there

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, last years maths exams really caught out people who just learnt mark schemes I think, some tricky questions there
    Best of luck, then! Which STEP papers you taking?

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck, then! Which STEP papers you taking?
    Only got one repeat though, luckily

STEP I definitely, probably STEP II as well. I will resist the urge to start any III otherwise I'd probably end up doing it too :laugh: and I need to focus on alevels as first priority.

You said you weren't doing STEP, have you considered it, just for a bit of fun?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes self teaching is easier though, you do it at your own pace and you feel more sense of achievement learning it yourself idk, it's a lovely feeling to self teach maths
    Is it? You're lucky! I suppose that feeling only applies when you have something to compare it to. I don't feel much reward in self-teaching a module (more like crippling doubt and wondering whether I've really covered it properly, especially with exams looming) - and from what you've said, I think that's so because I don't a classroom experience to compare it to. I'm jelly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Is it? You're lucky! I suppose that feeling only applies when you have something to compare it to. I don't feel much reward in self-teaching a module (more like crippling doubt and wondering whether I've really covered it properly, especially with exams looming) - and from what you've said, I think that's so because I don't a classroom experience to compare it to. I'm jelly!
    Well mechanics 1 for example, I am doing it this year at my school but I learnt it myself last week because I was doing sub par in tests and homework, it was much easier than i thought it would be. I just cant learn it in her (the teachers) classroom honestly. My core teacher is pretty good, the class is a little boring though, so for that reason I'd prefer self teaching :yawn:

The joys of january exams :rolleyes: a huge benefit of self teaching is how quickly you get through everything, I have maths and further maths done at this stage, just doing the C4 class as a second teaching to ensure 90% (well actually hopefully closer to 100%). So 4 months of past papers and physics lessons

Staying at home and doing work from there seems amazing though, However without school I don't think I'd ever leave the house :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    So I'm sitting here learning FP3 myself (given up with my teacher). Given the really low boundaries last year, how many people roughly do FP3? Or at least sit the exam? 7800 candidates were entered for a "Further Mathematics" A - Level, but it doesn't specify the module.

And the FMSP videos online are a good resource!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.