x Turn on thread page Beta

Mathematics applicants 2016 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Exeter!
    Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't decide between Durham and Nottingham?? Probably putting Newcastle as insurance. Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieranoo)
    Can't decide between Durham and Nottingham?? Probably putting Newcastle as insurance. Please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Durham id say

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Durham id say

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody firmed st Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Son of Eric)
    Durham or Bath? Can't think straight! Need to have decided by next week when bath's accommodation opens. Please help. Any insights welcome!
    My mate is doing Maths at Durham and he does not like the course or the area.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Son of Eric)
    Durham or Bath? Can't think straight! Need to have decided by next week when bath's accommodation opens. Please help. Any insights welcome!
    I don't know much about Durham, but I study Maths at Bath and love it here. There are some bits of the course that I don't like (because the topics are of no interest to me) :dontknow: but that's about the only downside.

This page may have some useful information.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Sean. No one seems to come out of the woodwork in favour of Durham!! Do you happen to know much about music in Bath? Whether its easy to get into the ensembles, and whether they're any good?

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to do physics at A Level to have a chance at the top unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Do you have to do physics at A Level to have a chance at the top unis?
    No you can get offers from Oxbridge and Imperial/warwick without it but it is highly desirable. but no you don't have to. Buffer it by doing M1-3 atleast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    No you can get offers from Oxbridge and Imperial/warwick without it but it is highly desirable. but no you don't have to. Buffer it by doing M1-3 atleast.
    Okay thank you. I've selected Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology because I'm unsure between something down the medicine/biochem route or maths - so different I know
    Would you say that it's easy to self teach M2 & M3? (In case they're not the ones my school picks?)

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you. I've selected Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology because I'm unsure between something down the medicine/biochem route or maths - so different I know
    Would you say that it's easy to self teach M2 & M3? (In case they're not the ones my school picks?)
    it isn't impossible but yeh it is doable as i taught myself M3-5 and kind of M2.

ReputationRep:
    M2 is ridiculously easy to self teach. M3 is the first mechanics module that is objectively difficult so I can reckon you'd get some trouble there.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got suggestions on what material or skills to familiarise myself with? I got into Discrete Maths at Warwick and I have the feeling I am way out of my depth (did the 4 A level offer instead of taking STEP, hate those exams ever since my disastrous attempt at the MAT).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    Anyone got suggestions on what material or skills to familiarise myself with? I got into Discrete Maths at Warwick and I have the feeling I am way out of my depth (did the 4 A level offer instead of taking STEP, hate those exams ever since my disastrous attempt at the MAT).
    If you can get access to any notes then great, it may help to just read slightly ahead. It looks like you'll be doing a fair bit of programming so maybe having a look at what languages you'll learn and getting some practice in may help, as well as some algebra/analysis etc so some introductory material may be worth looking at, but that's awfully broad and maybe not so helpful. Wouldn't suggest buying textbooks as a heads up unless someone from Warwick tells you that they are a must / highly useful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.