Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rad Prince)
    This is the complete truth.
    Or marginal propensity to consume if you want to sound all smart like :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Or marginal propensity to consume if you want to sound all smart like :holmes:
    I guess you could say, we need more poor people :devil:

When you are elected on the back of being "good with the economy" to take away poor people's benefits is just moronic. But that propaganda for you. Or incompetence, I can't tell anymorehttp://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/139...line_services/

This is not an opportunity to plug Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could say, we need more poor people :devil:

This is not an opportunity to plug Corbyn.
    It is an opportunity to take a dig at Tories though.

When you are elected on the back of being "good with the economy" to take away poor people's benefits is just moronic. But that propaganda for you. Or incompetence, I can't tell anymore http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/139...line_services/

We are being ran by either evil geniuses or utter morons.

Edit: I missed your edit....

ReputationRep:
    It is an opportunity to take a dig at Tories though.

When you are elected on the back of being "good with the economy" to take away poor people's benefits is just moronic. But that propaganda for you. Or incompetence, I can't tell anymore http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/139...line_services/

We are being ran by either evil geniuses or utter morons.
    It's just a callous electoral strategy, most British people are sort of between being true middle class and working class so the Tories create this myth of stupid lazy underclass people wasting money when in reality most of the poorest people are probably some of the most hardworking.

ReputationRep:
    You should get out of the benefits system, what you have paid in. If you have never paid tax, then you get no benefits. This is obviously unless you have a serious illness or disability etc which you can't avoid.... But I don't accept difficulty walking or some minor impairment as a reason to not work.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a callous electoral strategy, most British people are sort of between being true middle class and working class so the Tories create this myth of stupid lazy underclass people wasting money when in reality most of the poorest people are probably some of the most hardworking.
    Then even those poorest hardworking people will vote to have their benefit taken away. Or a small business owner on a council estate who then finds business goes down...

ReputationRep:
    I was on JSA for a year

Life was pretty good most of the time. All day to myself, not lifting a finger, laughing at all the losers going to work like little slaves every morning through my bedroom window :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolala1234)
    You should get out of the benefits system, what you have paid in. If you have never paid tax, then you get no benefits. This is obviously unless you have a serious illness or disability etc which you can't avoid.... But I don't accept difficulty walking or some minor impairment as a reason to not work.
    This would create a very unfair system whereby people on the lowest incomes would have the smallest entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slam3000)
    This would create a very unfair system whereby people on the lowest incomes would have the smallest entitlement.
    Do it on the number of years worked not the income. So you work for 5 years then you can claim for 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    the queen and the royal family are the biggest benefits receivers of all and they've not done a day of work in their lives to deserve them.

if they're entitled to a luxurious life funded by the taxpayer then why isn't it acceptable for people that have a lot less or virtually nothing not to have benefits? which is still barely to live on enough anyway???

as a taxpayer i'd rather my taxes went towards the disabled, those struggling to find work and those living in poverty as a result of the government than to fund the 65k spent on champagne at the house of lords, courtesy of the taxpayer. or what about will and kates £4 million palace refurb that we paid for??

for real. the government is what creates poor people. saying they don't deserve benefits is ridiculous. they're not claiming them because they're "lazy" - they have no choice. i'm pretty sure most would rather be working.

and as for disabled people there's no question - if you're able bodied you could become disabled at any time. maybe in a few years or maybe tomorrow. unless you're disabled it's disgusting for you to dictate whether people 'deserve' benefits or not, or if they can still work. you don't know what they're going through and until you're in that position you won't ever understand. just because they look alright doesn't mean they are.

so yeah, anyone who's entitled to benefits by law deserves them. also, you should never feel ashamed to claim them.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Lolala1234)
    Do it on the number of years worked not the income. So you work for 5 years then you can claim for 5 years.
    So what happens to the 16 year old who has just left care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    So what happens to the 16 year old who has just left care?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree here, care leavers haven't always had the opportunities to work, so that system wouldn't work
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree here, care leavers haven't always had the opportunities to work, so that system wouldn't work
    Plus their situation isn't their choice either. Whereas you choose to have a child.

ReputationRep:
    Being unable to walk doesn't prevent you from working.
    he would love to work but nowhere will employ him thank to red tape and insurance issues
    he used to be a mechanic and had a taxi rank at one point but well his condition deteriorated and he lost the business and his job and ended up where he is now

ReputationRep:
    Benefits is a way to mediate the money divide between the rich and the poor. It's been terribly implemented but atleast a few people were able to turn it into smething great.

ReputationRep:
    Plus their situation isn't their choice either. Whereas you choose to have a child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this thread has opened my eyes little, it won't alter my view, but has certainly shown me a new side to everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this thread has opened my eyes little, it won't alter my view, but has certainly shown me a new side to everything
    Well, at least that's something.

I also think you need to be aware of the fact that some of the information you have gleaned from family members about the amount of money they receive in benefits is highly suspect, and quite possibly false. Perhaps they know you are anti-welfare, so tell you incorrect things to deliberately wind you up. In truth the vast majority of people struggle on benefits and do not live 'the life of Riley'.

It's also worth noting that there are various schemes the unemployed can be mandated to attend, such as the Mandatory Work Programme or the Community Work Programme where claimants must work full time hours for certain organisations, or lose their benefits. The idea that all of the unemployed are simply lounging around at home, or down at Wetherspoons getting drunk is simply a myth.

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least that's something.

I also think you need to be aware of the fact that some of the information you have gleaned from family members about the amount of money they receive in benefits is highly suspect, and quite possibly false. Perhaps they know you are anti-welfare, so tell you incorrect things to deliberately wind you up. In truth the vast majority of people struggle on benefits and do not live 'the life of Riley'.

It's also worth noting that there are various schemes the unemployed can be mandated to attend, such as the Mandatory Work Programme or the Community Work Programme where claimants must work full time hours for certain organisations, or lose their benefits. The idea that all of the unemployed are simply lounging around at home, or down at Wetherspoons getting drunk is simply a myth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm upper class and a conservative, they are the complete opposite so I have my doubts about them

And I suppose so, there is a mixture of those who work and those who don't often we see those who are doing nothing, and from my personal experience that's all I saw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm upper class and a conservative, they are the complete opposite so I have my doubts about them

And I suppose so, there is a mixture of those who work and those who don't often we see those who are doing nothing, and from my personal experience that's all I saw

Your sister is on benefits and yet you describe yourself as 'upper class'? That sounds like a very unusual family you come from.

People on welfare are grossly misrepresented in the media so it's no surprised that the public has a very distorted view of what the difficult reality is actually like. Most people would struggle to to live on JSA of £73 per week - indeed, many people incorrectly believe it's much higher than that.

ReputationRep:
    Your sister is on benefits and yet you describe yourself as 'upper class'? That sounds like a very unusual family you come from.

People on welfare are grossly misrepresented in the media so it's no surprised that the public has a very distorted view of what the difficult reality is actually like. Most people would struggle to to live on JSA of £73 per week - indeed, many people incorrectly believe it's much higher than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are, my sister dropped out of school and left home at 18 thinking the benefits life would be all luxury, clearly she saw the misreprasentation

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.