Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reenie.stp)
    Honestly don't read into GCSE mocks too much. I know they can be a good indicator of how well you'll do in the real thing, but that's only if you put the same amount of revision into them as you will for the real ones. I, for example, did not do very well in my GCSE mocks. I got a few A*s (in foreign languages and Biology) and some Bs, Cs etc - I didn't do much revision at all. I revised really hard for the real things and I ended up getting 9 A*s and 3 As. The same thing happened last year for my AS mocks and real exams. Just make sure you revise as much as you can, without burning out, for the real ones. Do past papers closer to the time of the exams and these will be a better indicator of how you should do in the real ones. I hope that's useful
    Thankyou so much for replying! thats soo helpful and well done for such amazing grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmccarthy)
    In my school the people with 8 or more A/A* doubled from the mocks to the actual exam. Personally I had a couple of A* is mocks, As and a B, but in the real things I got 10A*s and an A (damn biology!). My advice is do as many past papers as you can and keep on doing them until you can get high 90s/100% in all of them
    Thanks alot and well done!

ReputationRep:
    Mock GCSE
    Geography A* A*
    Maths A A
    Physics A* A*
    Bio A* A*
    Chem A* A*
    English lang A B
    English lit C A
    RE A A
    French C B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparster)
    Mocks do not mean s***. The teachers mark horrendously harshly in an attempt to "scare" you into revising harder and also act as if you don't have a massive 5 week (or however long it is) study leave where you actually bother to work a bit. I got some As, Bs and Cs in my mocks and at parents evening had a teacher telling my mum that unless I worked incredibly hard I was destined for a C in chemistry and then hey, what happened.... They mark ridiculously nicely in comparison to our teachers in the real thing so I came out with 7 A*s 3As. Mocks are bs.
    Yeah i do hope thats true :-) well done on great grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliviaJH)
    Yeah i do hope thats true :-) well done on great grades!
    Thanks, although I have since done AS levels so gcses are a thing of the past. Good luck in your gcses, obviously take into consideration how you do in your mocks a bit but don't consider them 100% accurate

ReputationRep:
    mocks - 2A* 6A 3B
    GCSEs - 9A* 2A 1B

ReputationRep:
    OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high
    mine were all the same except in one subject in my mock i got a B but my real grade was an A (after appeal) and in another mock i got an A* but in my real test i got an A.

Mocks 12A*s 1B
    Real 11A*s 2As

ReputationRep:
    Throughout Year 10 I was consistently getting Bs and Cs across all my subjects.

I remember I got 2As, 5Bs, 2Cs, 1D in my November mocks (something along those lines - can't remember exactly, because they are totally irrelevant).

Got 5A*s, 4As and 1C in the end, and I was 1 mark off an A* in Chemistry, so I should really have got 6A*s, but oh well.

Don't ever worry about mock results, you will almost certainly improve by at least a grade in the real exams. I personally improved by 2 grades in 5 of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Key: What I got in the mock/what I got in the real thing

Maths B/A
    English Language C/A
    English Literature A/A
    Biology B/B
    Chemistry B/B
    Physics B/B
    History A/B 😭
    Geography C/B
    French B/B
    RS A*/A*

I put only a little amount more in my gcses than in the mocks. Although I was frustrated with the history I am so over GCSEs now - they are next to irrelevant to me like idec anymore!

So don't fret, mocks don't determine real performance but use it as a starting point for revision.

ReputationRep:
    Got a C in Chemistry mocks, ended up with an A* :0
    GCSE is just about how much work you put it, its as simple as that. Its not like A level where you can do everything right and still end up with a **** grade.

ReputationRep:
    OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high
    In my mocks, I got 9 A*s and 3 Bs. In my actual exams, I got 11 A*s and an A.

You'll probably be a lot more motivated to revise for your real exams, so you should do better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karishmaxo)
    Got a C in Chemistry mocks, ended up with an A* :0
    GCSE is just about how much work you put it, its as simple as that. Its not like A level where you can do everything right and still end up with a **** grade.
    I couldn't agree more!!!! I thought I was working consistently throughout the year, and I was aiming for straight As across my AS, but I still ended up with crap grades. A year worth's off work wasted in a few hours of exam time

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! That's very re assuring to hear and well done with your great grades

ReputationRep:
    From my mocks to GCSE's i boosted two low A grades to A* grades, but be under no illusion, i put in a damn load of hard work to do that. One of them was English Literature which isn't the easiest to improve on and one of them was Chemistry (which is just about learning the mark scheme), so yeah it is possible regardless of what subject, if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldnt worry too much about bad mock scores. I got roughly 6Bs 2Cs and 4As and then ended up with 7A*s and 5As

My biggest changes were i got a B in geography and then ended up getting 100% in not only both exams but also my coursework.

My 2 Cs were in biology and Latin and i ended up with an A* in each which to this date is my biggest achievement.

And if im being honest I did work hard for Latin but like it wasnt crazy hard work i just revised the week before.

Use your easter holidays carefully to focus on subjects you are not strongest on, eg i was awful at sciences so spent most my time focused on them!

Good luck! Compared to A levels GCSES were fun haha so try not to stresss out too much!

ReputationRep:
    Mocks: 3A* 4A 3B
    Real Things: 5A* 5A

same applies to AS levels, ABCC in mocks and AAAB in real thing

ReputationRep:
    For my mocks I got an A and a bunch of B's. Didn't really care about them. That was a mistake. Mocks are quite important as you can use them to establish stuff you need to work on and it's your first real introduction to exam questions.
    From the real thing got 7A*s and 2As.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much! I got 8 A*'s, 1 A, 1 B and a D (french) in my mocks! Overall I came out with 11 A*'s. Just put the effort in and I'm sure you'll do well. Everyone in my school did better than their mocks, and better than they themselves presumed they would do.

ReputationRep:
    I got Bs and Cs in my mocks and I got A* 8As and 2Bs in my real ones!
    Remember you haven't done all of your course yet and you still need to settle into the year so don't worry if you don't end up doing very well.
    For my sciences (I did triple) I used mygcsesciene to revise as my teachers were very poor and got AAA in them all!!! You have to pay for it now but it's so worth it if you're a visual/audio learner like me.
    Study guides are also brilliant, CGP do loads for GCSE! Just revise and you'll be absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    Mocks: BCCCCCCCDDDU
    Actual results: A*A*A*A*AAAABBBB

lol I never revised ever until easter holidays and even then I didn't revise till second week as I still had a lot of coursework to finish :O

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.