(Original post by queen-bee)
    Piccadilly Circus quiet? :rofl:
    This is just jokes.
    He hasn't got a clue lol

ReputationRep:
    Why only her? Out of everyone else?
    (Original post by Boondock Saint)
    So far his argument has been that he doubts anyone else was on the platform, despite Piccadilly Circus being one of the most busiest areas in London and a tourist attraction. He also fails to take into considersation that she (as well as others) are standing at the end of the platform - which suggests the rest of the platform had a significant number of people on it.
    Perhaps it's because she was the closest person to him...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    That is the question. Why did the website "Documenting Oppression against Muslims" single out this terrible crime as if it were an instance of some broader conspiracy to oppress Muslims in Britain?

The man who committed the crime is an 81 year old Japanese man. You can hardly blame this on anti-immigration sentiment
    Oh okay,so that makes it okay does it? I was thinking along the lines of anti-Muslim sentiment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Perhaps it's because she was the closest person to him...?
    Nah,nothing to do with proximity. It's because she was a Muslim. End of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Ah. So you were just randomly sounding off. Got it.

She was nearest?
    She was a Muslim? Or does that sound to far fetched? Smh

ReputationRep:
    Are you being sarcastic?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay,so that makes it okay does it? I was thinking along the lines of anti-Muslim sentiment?
    Did I say it makes it okay? Everyone, bar one, person on this thread has condemned this crime.

But it seems likely it was a random act of a madman. The perpetrator is an 81 year old Japanese man, so it seems unlikely it was anti-immigrant sentiment driving it. People generally don't commit crimes at that age unless they are not right in the head.

The issue here is that those obsessed with the narrative of Muslim victimhood have taken a random crime and exploited it to try to push a story about oppression of Muslims. That's not going to work, nor are we going to be shamed by your pulling out the "Islamophobia" card so blatantly and unjustifiably

That statement proves our point. You don't actually know what caused this 81 year old Japanese man to commit this crime, but you're happy to simply make things up and exploit this woman's suffering for your own grubby ends

ReputationRep:
    So far his argument has been that he doubts anyone else was on the platform, despite Piccadilly Circus being one of the most busiest areas in London and a tourist attraction. He also fails to take into considersation that she (as well as others) are standing at the end of the platform - which suggests the rest of the platform had a significant number of people on it.
    May I respectfully suggest watching the video.
    There are four people in shot, two at the far end of the platform. The victim is the only person in close proximity to the attacker. Without knowing who took up their position first, it is no more than speculation to claim that he singled her out.
    There were clearly other people on the platform as several come into view after the attack, so your claim is a straw man.
    As with all these cases, one should defer making judgement until all the facts are known.

Isn't it enough to condemn the attack as appalling and cowardly without having to claim that it was because of the woman's headwear? It might have been, it might not but as we saw with the case of Nahid Almanea, not every attack on a Muslim is because of their religion. If you are going to jump to conclusions, look before you leap!

ReputationRep:
    She was a Muslim? Or does that sound to far fetched? Smh
    We have no reason to think that. He's an eighty-one year old homeless man, he was probably just lashing out, or hoping to be arrested so he'd have a roof over his head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    May I respectfully suggest watching the video.
    There are four people in shot, two at the far end of the platform. The victim is the only person in close proximity to the attacker. Without knowing who took up their position first, it is no more than speculation to claim that he singled her out.
    There were clearly other people on the platform as several come into view after the attack, so your claim is a straw man.
    As with all these cases, one should defer making judgement until all the facts are known.

Isn't it enough to condemn the attack as appalling and cowardly without having to claim that it was because of the woman's headwear? It might have been, it might not but as we saw with the case of Nahid Almanea, not every attack on a Muslim is because of their religion. If you are going to jump to conclusions, look before you leap!
    There is no strawman here. I have never claimed that she was attacked because she was wearing a headscarf, only that it is very reasonable to assume that this may have been the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    We have no reason to think that. He's an eighty-one year old homeless man, he was probably just lashing out, or hoping to be arrested so he'd have a roof over his head.
    If the footage was of a petty crime, your suggestion may be plausible, but it isn't - this is an attempted murder.

ReputationRep:
    I would never be rude to an individual Muslim because of their religion.
    I think that I may have been rude once or twice, but that was more to do with the views expressed, rather than simply being a Muslim. (I've done the same to Christians as well. I am an equal opportunities sceptic)

ReputationRep:
    Piccadilly Circus quiet? :rofl:
    This is just jokes.
    He hasn't got a clue lol
    To be fair, I don't think that they were claiming that Piccadilly Circus is quiet, more that the victim was the closest person on a quiet section of the platform.

But then, if you are clever enough to use a computer, you are also clever enough to have figured that out for yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking along the lines of anti-Muslim sentiment?
    Indeed, there are people who will attack others for being different. They are called xenophobes, racists and political extremists. Oh, and religious fundamentalists.

ReputationRep:
    [/b]

There's a road through the centre of Mount Sinjar, and in fact there are parts of it that are passable, slowly and methodically, for wheeled vehicles. How on earth do you think the Kurds got their artillery up there overlooking the town?

And this is my point. You said the Kurds came from the West. In fact, many of them came over Mount Sinjar. In fact, here's two pictures of the Kurdish troops moving over Mount Sinjar yesterday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTo60ktUkAApTCs.jpg:large
    http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/42/11/13.../3/920x920.jpg
    You said that most of the Kurdish troops came over Mount Sinjar. "Most" meaning around 7000.

Do you think they all, sorry "most", used the Mountain pass?

It's vital to ISIS. That doesn't mean they have the capacity to take it back. There are really only two directions ISIS can plausibly come from to mount a counterattack, east and west. The west will be difficult as the Kurds and FSA have mounted a simultaneous offensive in Al-Hakasah and Hawl about 70 kilometres west of Sinjar along Highway 47.

For ISIS to mount any serious counterattack from the West they would have to drive about 70 kilometres along the highway, past other Kurdish forces and with Mount Sinjar on their left (where there would be Kurdish artillery overlooking them). And due to British and American airpower, any large ISIS convoy travelling along Highway 47 would be spotted and attacked.

Yesterday and this morning, the Peshmerga pushed about 20 miles east from Sinjar up Highway 47 towards Tal Afar. They captured the cement factory just before the road junction outside Ibrat Ash and have continued to push forward. Again, for ISIS to mount an offensive into Sinjar they will have to retake the cement factory and push along the road with Mount Sinjar and Kurdish artillery on their right, and British and American aircraft overhead. Similarly, the No Drive Zone for ISIS vehicles will mean that any large convoy will be quickly spotted and attacked by Hellfire missiles.

To the south, there are two towns, Baaj and Ain Fathi, but those two towns are basically at the end of roads that start at Highway 47 around Sinjar. To the west, south and east of those two towns is open desert with no roads connecting them to, say, Mosul or Tikrit further south. The Kurds have pushed south strongly toward Baaj and the ISIS Emir of Baaj is reported killed. They will not be able to receive reinforcements.

The only place the attack can come from is east or west, and in both cases ISIS could only bring substantial forces to bear by convoying them out there, which would be immediately noticed and attacked.

You seem to think that because this town is important to ISIS, therefore they have the capability to retake it. That is faulty logic. The Kurdish offensive against Sinjar has been extremely methodical and has obviously been long in planning. They are supported by British and American special forces on the ground, Reaper drones, A-10 Warthods and B-1 bombers in the air. Precisely how ISIS could get a convoy down Highway 47 is unclear by any logical standards. The only way ISIS could have any hope is if there is a sandstorm or the weather deteriorates thus preventing air cover and artillery from assisting.
    You still haven't answered if Sinjar and Highway 47 is more vital to IS or the Kurds.

I am open to contrary views, I just think you were incredibly rude and patronising to other users on the Sinjar thread, which causes me to dislike you given your patronising tone was married up with an obvious lack of knowledge about the Sinjar area and modern warfare in general.
    So you decided to bring your aggression from the other thread into here?

So you're saying he's not crazy? You are speaking as though you know that he was motivated by some animus against Muslims, egged on by underlying societal hostility against Muslims. But that's just a narrative you and other TSRians have constructed in your head. The perpetrator is an 81 year old Japanese pensioner, not a 21 year old middle-class white man.
    So you are saying that an 81 year old Japanese pensioner cannot possibly have an underlying hostility towards Muslims which would result in him attacking and attempting to murder a Muslim woman by trying to throw her under a speeding train?

Your argument really is incredibly desperate. I don't think it's even worth my time to respond given your involvement in this topic is clearly driven by emotion and paranoia rather than facts or at least what can be inferred from what we know.
    You are of course, free to do as you so wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    To be fair, I don't think that they were claiming that Piccadilly Circus is quiet, more that the victim was the closest person on a quiet section of the platform.

But then, if you are clever enough to use a computer, you are also clever enough to have figured that out for yourselves.
    Except that's not what was said. They requested to see images of other women on the platform, why ask such a thing if they didn't believe the platform was quiet? I'm also sceptical of the assertion that the section of the platform she was on was quiet. We can see people rushing into the footage within 3 seconds of her being pushed, which means people were probably standing the same distance away from him as she was but towards the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    You said that most of the Kurdish troops came over Mount Sinjar. "Most" meaning around 7000.

Do you think they all, sorry "most", used the Mountain pass?
    I can see you're getting chippy, and I don't think it will be to my profit to engage with you further on this subject. I have repeatedly demonstrated you are wrong in your claims, about the Kurds coming from the West and your claim that they could not have gone over/through the mountain.

As such, I do not see what you can bring to the table in a discussion of military strategy and I think it's best we leave it there. Other TSRians may make their determinations about which they find more credible on matters military

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    So you are saying that an 81 year old Japanese pensioner cannot possibly have an underlying hostility towards Muslims which would result in him attacking and attempting to murder a Muslim woman by trying to throw her under a speeding train?.
    I would certainly assert that it is highly unlikely that he is motivated by anti-immigrant sentiment.

As for any anti-Muslim sentiment, it is for you to prove your case. If you want to adduce evidence that he was motivated by anti-Islamic bias, I am certainly happy to consider it.

ReputationRep:
    Very possibly the case... but you do not know that. You are just guessing.
    This kind of unsupported knee-jerk, finger pointing is exactly the sort of thing that exacerbates social division.

I have no idea as to his motive, but the simple fact that the attacker did it in full view of cameras and witnesses, and made no attemp to escape, shows a willingness to get caught. This, along with his age and circumstances would suggest the possibility of a level of diminished responsibility. The lack of apparent deliberate selection (there were no other people in the immediate vicinity) would point to a possible random attack due to mental health issues.
    He may indeed be a right-wing nutjob who wants to deport all Muslims, but there is nothing in the video that suggests that.

ReputationRep:
    I can see you're getting chippy, and I don't think it will be to my profit to engage with you further on this subject. I have repeatedly demonstrated you are wrong in your claims, about the Kurds coming from the West and your claim that they could not have gone over/through the mountain.

As such, I do not see what you can bring to the table in a discussion of military strategy and I think it's best we leave it there. Other TSRians may make their determinations about which they find more credible on matters military
    I'm just simply asking whether you think Sinjar is more strategic to IS or the Kurds.

If it's more strategic to IS, then they will launch attacks to take it back.

I don't know how many IS fighters participated in the battle. perhaps you could inform us of this figure?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.