Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I've just joined TSR specifically to comment on this post as there seems to be lots of knowledgeable future teachers here! I've applied for a PGCE at Winchester Uni, Winchester Schools Partnership (School Direct) and South Coast SCITT within the last few days and I'm really excited. I have a few problems that I'm anticipating for the interviews (if I get them!).

Firstly, I've had tonnes of experience with primary aged children but no formal school experience within the last 4 years. I can easily get some as my aunt is a headmistress, but if I go to the interview saying I'm definitely doing it before the course starts will that be okay? I know I'll be up against candidates with loads of classroom and TA experience and I've spent the last 4 years doing a marketing degree (enjoyed it, but not for me) and suppressing my desire to be a teacher (always told myself it wasn't enough money for me, but I've decided it's a paycut I'm willing to take).

Secondly, I'm really worried about potential interviews asking me about things I'm not up to speed with, such as current topics in public education and teaching methods etc. Do you know any good recourses I can swot up with? Blogs, news sites, forums, etc? Also, when does the skills test need to be done by

Finally, I'm not sure whether to do SD, SCITT or the uni PGCE, of course this is all dependant on me being offered a place, but I'm not sure which would be best for me. I'll be living with my parents and will have to commute 45 minutes for all of them, anyone got any advice over the differences/pros and cons?

Sorry if I sound like a total novice, I am, I've finally starting to put the wheels in motion to become a primary teacher- something I never thought I'd do. But I know I will be an excellent teacher, and I'm extremely hard working, I'm just a bit behind on the preperation!

Thanks so much in advance! 😊

ReputationRep:
    I don't belong here, but I read this as 'Sports Direct Applicants 2016'

ReputationRep:
    Hi Claudia!
    From all the research I've done, SD and SCITT are the same thing just different names.

There are salaried places and non salaried places.

There are some that end up with a PGCE, some that are QTS only and some have a choice.
    Eg one I'm applying for has a choice of PGCE (£9k of fees) vs QTS only (£7.5k off fees). QTS only still has assignments but not to a masters level.

The difference between SD and uni is SD you spend most of the year at one school. All the ones I've looked at have one day a week training at the lead school. You are treated like a teacher from the outset. Or at least the SD trainees in my school are! At uni you tend to do shorter placements in schools and spend chunks at uni.

Ah the current educational issues - this is one of my concerns. I've been reading the Guardian etc. The news section on TES. And last night I started having a good look round the DfE site. I've signed up to notifications on there.

As for experience, if you can get some days in a school before any interviews it can only help.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Gizmodo, that's really helpful. I'm not all to fussed about the salaried positions because I'll be living at home and just want to get the year done as best I can! Maybe I'll go for SD then, but obviously it depends where accepts me with such little experience!

Thanks! If anyone else has words of wisdom I'd really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaudiaHarriet)
    Hi everyone, I've just joined TSR specifically to comment on this post as there seems to be lots of knowledgeable future teachers here! I've applied for a PGCE at Winchester Uni, Winchester Schools Partnership (School Direct) and South Coast SCITT within the last few days and I'm really excited. I have a few problems that I'm anticipating for the interviews (if I get them!).

Firstly, I've had tonnes of experience with primary aged children but no formal school experience within the last 4 years. I can easily get some as my aunt is a headmistress, but if I go to the interview saying I'm definitely doing it before the course starts will that be okay? I know I'll be up against candidates with loads of classroom and TA experience and I've spent the last 4 years doing a marketing degree (enjoyed it, but not for me) and suppressing my desire to be a teacher (always told myself it wasn't enough money for me, but I've decided it's a paycut I'm willing to take).

Secondly, I'm really worried about potential interviews asking me about things I'm not up to speed with, such as current topics in public education and teaching methods etc. Do you know any good recourses I can swot up with? Blogs, news sites, forums, etc? Also, when does the skills test need to be done by

Finally, I'm not sure whether to do SD, SCITT or the uni PGCE, of course this is all dependant on me being offered a place, but I'm not sure which would be best for me. I'll be living with my parents and will have to commute 45 minutes for all of them, anyone got any advice over the differences/pros and cons?

Sorry if I sound like a total novice, I am, I've finally starting to put the wheels in motion to become a primary teacher- something I never thought I'd do. But I know I will be an excellent teacher, and I'm extremely hard working, I'm just a bit behind on the preperation!

Thanks so much in advance! 😊
    Have you checked if they are still recruiting? As these links suggest otherwise:
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-tr...ing-programmes
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...t-2016-to-2017

Many places, including Winchester University, like you to have at least two weeks pre-application experience in a primary school to see if the demands of teaching and today's classrooms are for you. I don't mean to be rude, but your post suggests that you need to do more research (a lot of which would be easy to find just by googling).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alymau)
    Have you checked if they are still recruiting? As these links suggest otherwise:
    https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-tr...ing-programmes
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...t-2016-to-2017

Many places, including Winchester University, like you to have at least two weeks pre-application experience in a primary school to see if the demands of teaching and today's classrooms are for you. I don't mean to be rude, but your post suggests that you need to do more research (a lot of which would be easy to find just by googling).
    Alymau, my application to all three programs has gone through and there were vacancies, so I'm assuming that these courses are still open for applicants and recruiting. I've never heard or seen there was a recruitment freeze so this is slightly worrying.

I know I need to do more research, which is why I'm posting here for advice :-)

As I said, I have had lots of experience but no solid "two week classroom experience" that I know I will be asked for. I will have at least 4-6 weeks before September '16 though. But if you honestly think not having any formal experience pre-interview will seriously hinder me, that makes me very nervous!

ReputationRep:
    Alymau, my application to all three programs has gone through and there were vacancies, so I'm assuming that these courses are still open for applicants and recruiting. I've never heard or seen there was a recruitment freeze so this is slightly worrying.

I know I need to do more research, which is why I'm posting here for advice :-)

As I said, I have had lots of experience but no solid "two week classroom experience" that I know I will be asked for. I will have at least 4-6 weeks before September '16 though. But if you honestly think not having any formal experience pre-interview will seriously hinder me, that makes me very nervous!
    Hmmm, I hadn't realised primary is closed. Says except London and Salaried places.

What stage are you at with the application? Have you had references back, so they are actually submitted?

I would definitely start getting your minimum 10 days. It doesn't have to be 2 weeks in a row. I know of people who have volunteered half a day and it's all added up. I've also seen posts from people who have had no experience and get made an offer on condition of completing x amount of days in a school, or even getting a job as a TA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gizmodo)
    Hmmm, I hadn't realised primary is closed. Says except London and Salaried places.

What stage are you at with the application? Have you had references back, so they are actually submitted?
    All my refs have gone through and I've even heard back from the accrediting university (they are all Winchester) saying they were processing my application. So I really hope I haven't missed all the places :-(

I have got well over 2 weeks of experience, just not consecutive, I know it sounds like I'm not prepared and I'm really not!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Claudia,

I would check with the training providers about the experience needed but if they don't feel like what you have so far is sufficient then I expect they would not offer an interview. I have a year of experience but it was over 5 years ago. I got offered places on 2 SCITT courses - 1 asked me to complete some additional school experience before the start of the course as a condition of the offer, the other said I could if I wanted to but it wasn't necessary. I think with some of the university based PGCEs it is essential to have 10 days experience within the last 2 years, but the other training programmes can be a little more flexible. If you get interviews it definitely wouldn't hurt to ask on the day and make it clear you're willing!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks SophLamb, that's really helpful! Hopefully I'll have good news soon!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have an offer which I am accepting!!

The interview process is intense!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done gizmodo! 🎉

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for School Direct 2016 but was just wondering how long it was before you heard back from the schools/uni with an invite to interview? It's been a month now since my application was sent off and I'm starting to get worried! Particularly as I felt I had a strong one! (TA exp and a solid 5 months working in one of the training provider's placement schools). The last email I had concerning ANYTHING was my welcome email from UCAS 😭😭😭😭 someone reassure me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AislingS)
    Hey, I've applied for School Direct 2016 but was just wondering how long it was before you heard back from the schools/uni with an invite to interview? It's been a month now since my application was sent off and I'm starting to get worried! Particularly as I felt I had a strong one! (TA exp and a solid 5 months working in one of the training provider's placement schools). The last email I had concerning ANYTHING was my welcome email from UCAS 😭😭😭😭 someone reassure me!
    Have you applied for secondary or primary?

I assume your references went through?
    Did you double check with the providers that they still had spaces?

I got 3 interviews offered within 2 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AislingS)
    Hey,

My best advice would be to check that your choices still have vacancies. Then give them a call. When I applied I got a response for one of my choices within 2 days. The second was after a month and the third didn't reply within the 40 day limit.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks guys! Well it's still saying vacancies on UCAS, so I guess I'll contact them this week!

I think that's so *****y how they can just not reply, after all the time and effort you spend on personal statements and chasing references and god knows what!

Well done on getting your interviews/places btw, that's great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakin)
    Hey,

My best advice would be to check that your choices still have vacancies. Then give them a call. When I applied I got a response for one of my choices within 2 days. The second was after a month and the third didn't reply within the 40 day limit.

Best of luck
    Congrats on getting offers.
    I am yet to apply for the school direct PGCE 2016. Just a quick query
    how do you go for your choices.... Did you go though any review about any?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    congrats gizmodo, well I am now in apply 2.

Applied to Bishop Grotteste schoold direct and both them and the school direct provider are amazing, just waiting on interview dates.
    I swear some of the school direct programmes I have applied to are very arrogant and want applicants who don't research. I actually got knocked down because I asked for infomation about the school direct programme.
    Sorry just a little rant

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with round 2 gentlegiant. Interesting behaviour from those SD providers - maybe there's no shortage of teachers in their area ?!?

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could say there isn't a shortage, though sadly there is a very large shortage in most subjects, for my subject computer science out of what was over 10 places available in all of my apply 1 options I was the only applicant this year.

In my present choice through BG there are 4 places from what I have been informed and again I am the only applicant this year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.