Turn on thread page Beta

Should we abolish the Monarchy? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should we abolish the Monarchy?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    ...is elizabeth immortal? woahhh!
    He means that the crown will go to William instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free_Icecream_Yo)
    He means that the crown will go to William instead.
    no it won't - the monarchy selection process isn't a democracy

ReputationRep:
    ...is elizabeth immortal? woahhh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is too old to rule

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

He is too old to rule
    ...and elizabeth isn't...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

He will never rule
    Unless the Prince of Wales predeceases the Queen, his rule is absolutely certain.

ReputationRep:
    So we have the laws of a totalitarian state. I was talking about froma human, moral perspective, not a fear based authoritarian one. I say if you think that is the height of patriotism, we have a sad country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    So we have the laws of a totalitarian state. I was talking about froma human, moral perspective, not a fear based authoritarian one. I say if you think that is the height of patriotism, we have a sad country.
    Good grief you're a humourless *******.

Despite my (obviously entirely serious) comments, I think it goes without saying people just aren't prosecuted for criticising the monarchy, not least due to contradictions with rights legislation, and if they ever were I doubt a jury wouldn't convict anyway.

That said, the monarchy is obviously a massive patriotic symbol in this country and has been since we've been a country. If you don't like that then tough. To be honest, the monarchy as an institution is such a cornerstone of our other institutions that, if you really hate it that much, I'd ask what about Britain you love? It's not a coincidence that republicanism in this country has largely (though not entirely) come from a segment of the left which despises much about Britain and her history and institutions.

ReputationRep:
    It's a pointless argument that no sane person cares about. Put the energy from this towards something more worthwhile like tackling inequality.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Hans_301)
    One of the best responses I've read
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    It's a pointless argument that no sane person cares about. Put the energy from this towards something more worthwhile like tackling inequality.
    when will the right time for discussing this be, then? if the economy is perpetually the highest priority, for instance, doesn't that mean that you're saying that we should *never* have this debate? why can't multiple debates in society take place in a given time period?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I would, because in this modern day they are a complete insult to the nations intelligence. Nothing against the Queen, it's the bed she was born in, with the privilege came a lot of restrictions and you can't fault her commitment. This said as a head of state she can't say good morning without reading it from a script and as to her wayward offspring well there I'm not so sure..

ReputationRep:
    when will the right time for discussing this be, then? if the economy is perpetually the highest priority, for instance, doesn't that mean that you're saying that we should *never* have this debate? why can't multiple debates in society take place in a given time period?
    We will discuss it when we want to waste our time by discussing pointless things that don't matter.

The Queen is sweet, does no one any harm. Gotta love all the bank holidays we get for Royal weddings and stuff. Would be devastated if we abolished the monarchy, it's part of our culture.

ReputationRep:
    We will discuss it when we want to waste our time by discussing pointless things that don't matter.
    why limit your scope of perfection? I have the intelligence to juggle different debates at once - why don't you? I don't consider "thinking" to be a waste of time. sorry that you do, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    The Queen is sweet, does no one any harm. Gotta love all the bank holidays we get for Royal weddings and stuff. Would be devastated if we abolished the monarchy, it's part of our culture.
    ...I quit. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    why limit your scope of perfection? I have the intelligence to juggle different debates at once - why don't you? I don't consider "thinking" to be a waste of time. sorry that you do, though.
    My intellect is wasted on you.

ReputationRep:
    My intellect is wasted on you.
    :lol: you should do stand up or something
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Platopus)
    What bank holidays?? I only remember one, which was crap anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :lol: you should do stand up or something
    You should too. Just stand up and everyone will laugh at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    You should too. Just stand up and everyone will laugh at you.
    hahaaahhhh so essentially you're just using the same joke then instead of making up your own but hahahaaaahhhhhh

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.