The Student Room Group

Is £10,000 a lot of money to you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tes5983
its a lot of money for a 16-year-old, but the real question is,
is it really life-changing?

Hi,although I've quoted you I'm not really aiming this at you,ok.

I'm really interested in this question because I'm old and for nearly all my life I was completely broke (even when I was a tube driver!).

But one day I won £5,400 from a season long football bet.

And you know,in all honesty ,I really did feel as if it had changed my life. Edit ,of course in reality my life was largely the same but I felt like a completely different person.So in that respect I feel it 'changed my life'.

I could go into great detail as to how such a trifling sum can change someone's life but it would doubtless be boring (and pointless even.)

So all I will say is that to truly appreciate relatively small sums of money you probably do have to experience 'poverty' for a great many years.

Not just a few years I mean.

(The following year I lost nearly all of it when a team lost a cup final on penalties and it was to this day the most painful experience of my life)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis
I'm surprised that someone as smart as you apparently doesn't have anything even approaching £10,000.

(Have you never tried playing poker?)

Just because it's a lot of money doesn't mean it's more than he has at the moment though....
Since the average mean salary for a graduate is 22k which after expenses such as rent, car expenses, food, tax etc... is probably closer to 1k in savings potential it'll take a graduate almost a year if he/she wants to save that without spending on luxuries, realistically it'll probably take a year and half to do so. So yeah, it's a lot of money. Even approaching six figures after tax and mortgage payments, 10k is still a lot of money and I'd freak out if I lost such an amount. It's not life changing amount though if you own a property/car already, it'll just buy you some nice things.

Quick Reply

Latest