Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hals)
    Hahaha yeah I use one, it's called the self control app, if you type that into google it will come up (has a picture of a white skull inside a black spade). It's quite good because it has a timer so you can't go on any of the websites you've listed plus you can track your study time. I put TSR on the blacklist as well because I keep checking my updates...So yeah if you want a timer and a guarantee that you won't get distracted, it's worth it.
    That sounds quite good actually - might have to look into it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    The ways I have been revising for the sciences is by making revision cards with questions and answers. I used the revision guide and class notes to make as many as possible. (I probably have about 250 cards for unit 1) It's not necessarily actually going through them that is the most important, but the making them that helps the information stick.

Also, doing a past paper and looking at the mark scheme afterwards is great. You can add every possible answer to your answers so that you can see what sort of things gain marks.

In terms of how long you should spend...I would say about 2 or 3 hours per subject, per week. This way you can spend at least an hour on each module in the subject. Obviously, you can do much more if you want - I'd say 1 or two hours per module per subject should be enough if you use the time effectively.

Sometimes the revision guides do not give all the details the exam board want - which exam board is it by the way? Because of this, doing the past papers will give you chance to see where the revision guides lack detail, so you can add more notes and fill in the gpas.

You could also make summarised notes of every topic, and mind maps if you like colourful and creative methods.

Finally, if you are concerned about missing information, you could do what I do, and gather as many sources as possible, because each website may explain something slightly diffferently. There are some websites that make notes booklets and you could combine them with your other info to make larger notes so you get every detail.

I hope this answers your questions but if you ever want to know more, then just leave a comment again and I'll get back to you

(Apologies for this being so wordy )

I will go and look for my Year 10 results (although they would be mocks, as I haven't sat the Unit 1 yet - we do them all in the summer or year 11) and I will put them in a post later
    thanx for ur reply and this will definitely help me..I m doing AQA..For any other help I would contact u again but thanks very much.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tayybaf)
    thanx for ur reply and this will definitely help me..I m doing AQA..For any other help I would contact u again but thanks very much.
    You're welcome - if there is anything else I'll be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    For my science GCSE, we have been learning p2 in class and starting to learn c2 and my class are supposed to start learning b2 later on in the year how should I revise biology as I have not been taught it yet. Btw love ur blog, I read it when I need some motivation to revise.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jamesawigley)
    For my science GCSE, we have been learning p2 in class and starting to learn c2 and my class are supposed to start learning b2 later on in the year how should I revise biology as I have not been taught it yet. Btw love ur blog, I read it when I need some motivation to revise.
    Hi, thanks for reading my blog - great to hear you like it

I assume you are doing the OCR Gateway B like me? If that is the case, then there is a link in a previous post to some flashcards which you may find useful that I have made on all the topics I cover. This may be a good way for you to get a brief idea of the topics. A huge piece of advice I would give you, is that when you do start learning it in class, make sure you have made notes from the revision guide the day/morning before so you know what they are going to talk about. Trust me, I started doing this halfway through the course and now regret not doing it from the start.

Using a revision guide or BBC Bitesize, it may be worth making mind maps and perhaps leaving a gap around each branch to add more detail once you have covered them. That way you know what to expect in terms of topics, and already have a basis for revision closer to the exam.

I hope this helps and let me know if you want me to explain anything further

Good luck with your studies

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and your A-level choices look very interesting. They are much more varied than mine

As for swapping Maths, I do not think that would be wise, because most colleges suggest (or make it compulsory) to study Maths if you take Physics - so just bear that in mind.

I guessed you would be into medicine - afterall Biology and medicine go hand in hand I believe being a doctor or GP requires many years at university?

Good luck with it all - I'm sure you would make a great medical professional
    Yeah, I see what you mean but the sixth form I'm going to only requires you to get a B in GCSE Maths to take Physics, that's it. But I suppose it would be helpful.

And thank you, good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for reading my blog - great to hear you like it

I assume you are doing the OCR Gateway B like me? If that is the case, then there is a link in a previous post to some flashcards which you may find useful that I have made on all the topics I cover. This may be a good way for you to get a brief idea of the topics. A huge piece of advice I would give you is that when you do start learning it in class, make sure you have made notes from the revision guide the day/morning before so you know what they are going to talk about. Trust me, I started doing this halfway through the course and now regret not doing it from the start.

Using a revision guide or BBC Bitesize, it may be worth making mind maps and perhaps leaving a gap around each branch to add more detail once you have covered them. That way you know what to expect in terms of topics, and already have a basis for revision closer to the exam.

I hope this helps and let me know if you want me to explain anything further

Good luck with your studies
    thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by khatx)
    Yeah, I see what you mean but the sixth form I'm going to only requires you to get a B in GCSE Maths to take Physics, that's it. But I suppose it would be helpful.

And thank you, good luck to you too!
    Ah that's quite lucky with your sixth form, as every single one I have looked at requires Maths AS. In that case, you choose what you will enjoy most

And thanks again
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    MOCK UPDATE AND TARGETS
    FOR 22nd FEB
    So Mocks start tomorrow and I'm so nervous it's unbelievable!!
    But I have targets I want to reach in these exams, bearing in mind there are 2 every day from Mon-Fri.
    Here's what I want to achieve, or if possible beat:
    • Chemistry C1-C3: 70/75
    • Physics P1-P3: 72/75
    • Biology B1-B3: 68/75
    • Maths: 180/200 (from both papers)
    • English Literature and Language: A* in both (don't mind the specific mark)
    • Biology B4-B5 + Sect D: 50/60 (we haven't finished B6)
    • Chemistry C4-C5 + Sect D: 55/60
    • Physics P4-P6: 80/85
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    So I have had someone message me about revision. Not only did she give me some great tips but I sent her some too and I thought some of you who read this might benefit so here's a copy of the message I sent:

I too enjoy past papers and have made loads of Qs for science - I've put them in an app. I'm sure you have your own revision cards but if you want to take a look here are the links: Chemistry: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/687...ferrer=1904487
    Biology: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/687...ferrer=1904487
    Physics: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/687...ferrer=1904487

As for Poetry, I don't like it personally but my grades seem pretty consistent. I think the trick I use is to brush up on vocab before the exam so that I can put loads of fancy words in to the work. That way, no matter what I write, as long as I can back it up with a fancy sentence or two, I manage to get the marks. Plus, it doesn't matter how you interpret the poetry just put any points down that are easy for you to explain with quotes so that you get the marks.

Also, for German, I'm doing every single past paper I can find, even off different exam boards - because at the end of the day it is all German. From this I am picking out any vocab words I haven't seen before so I am getting to see new vocab at the same time - it might be something you want to try?

ReputationRep:
    GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR MOCKS!!! and wish me some as well
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by siddy204)
    GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR MOCKS!!! and wish me some as well
    Thank you very much - and good luck with yours too let me know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    Good luck on your mocks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jamesawigley)
    Good luck on your mocks
    Thank you - I'll try my best

ReputationRep:
    And now for Part 2

Physics

(This is my favourite subject and I want to study it at Uni so feel free to ask away if there is anything else)

I have made flashcards both digitally and physically so that I can take them anywhere and if my phone has no battery - I have no excuse !

A really good way to revise this subject, I find, is to do a past paper in exam conditions and note down all the questions where you hesitate and do not know what to do straight away. Then, go to the revision guide, do a page of notes summarised, and try to do the paper again. This way, you are more likely to remember it and focus because you know you struggle with it.

English Language

This one is a tricky one to revise for, I think. All I could suggest is make sure you know the layouts of each piece i.e. where the address should go on a letter. If you wanted to you could download past papers, complete them in the time allowed and get your teacher to mark it. The only thing I can really say you can do to revise is enhance your vocabulary - go through every piece you write and if you find a word more than 3 times, go and find an alternative.

English Literature

Having character profiles is a must! I'm sure you will have been told this but if you don't have specific quotes you can't reach the higher marks, so write down at least 10 quotes which are quite generic (by this I mean you will be able to incorporate them somewhere regardless of the context). Doing this means you will have quotes you can use in any situation, and it is easier than remembering 10 quotes per character, per chapter etc.

History

Making large timelines would be a good idea. They could be colour coded for each topic you study and all on one timeline, or you could have individual ones per topic (I would prefer them all on one, so that I can pick a date and link all the events together). Making flashcards may also be valuable for details such as Presidents of the time, or names of group leaders etc. The only way you can strengthen your source interpretation is by doing past papers - there are only so many cartoons and posters available for questions, so the more you see now the more chance they have of coming up.

In terms of websites:
    Sparknotes and Cliff Notes are ideal for English, especially Literature
    For physics there is a website called freescience.info and there may be some articles you can use, otherwise using various textbooks and revision guides can give you different ways to explain concepts.

I have also been making my own flashcards on an app that I would be happy to share on here. The only issue is, all my content is based on the exam boards I take, which may differ from yours. Let me know what boards you use and I will share a link to the cards if you would like them.

I hope all this helps and feel free to contact me for anymore help if you need it
    This is helpful. Thank you. Do you have any websites for physics that I could use since I struggle with it a little bit? Thank you in advance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    This is helpful. Thank you. Do you have any websites for physics that I could use since I struggle with it a little bit? Thank you in advance.
    Hi yeah I've got a few - I'm sure I don't need to mention BBC Bitesize but there's that too

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class
    http://www.epicphysics.com/ (this has a little bit on theories and lasers)
    https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/gcserevision (there are some useful booklets on here - ignore the school years though, I think you need every booklet for GCSE)

Hope these are useful

ReputationRep:
    Hi yeah I've got a few - I'm sure I don't need to mention BBC Bitesize but there's that too

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/ccm/gcserevision (there are some useful booklets on here - ignore the school years though, I think you need every booklet for GCSE)

Hope these are useful
    Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:

Hope these are useful
    Just another question. Do you have any similar websites for history and English Literature? Thanks VERY much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good luck for your mocks, although I have every confidence you'll do well
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Just another question. Do you have any similar websites for history and English Literature? Thanks VERY much.
    For English Literature I would recommend CliffNotes and Sparknotes
    For history http://johndclare.net/ and http://educationforum.co.uk/modernworld.htm

Hope these help too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.