When do you think the downfall of music started? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When 2 pac died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malware)
    The 80s was the dawn of punk
    errrrrr what?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree that music has deteriorated now, in fact I would argue that it has if anything improved due to the increased experimentation with new genres of music and collaborations between genres. Also the fact that it is currently a lot easier to find good music bc of the internet etc. I'm positive 'bad' (and I say that with quote marks bc what I consider bad will differ to other peoples' definitions) music always existed, it's just that people couldn't easily access it and therefore did not have to hear it the way we do now. On the other hand, I agree in part that chart music in particular is....not the best. Although, I can't ever think of a time it was (except some rare good tracks that made it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    errrrrr what?
    the start of its legacy and mass popularity when post-punk with New Order came out in the 80s. All the other rock subgenres that formed in the 80s and 90s grunge after ska punk and rocksteady in the 70s progressed into a new sound from punk earlier on. Punk was massively underrated before the 80s.

ReputationRep:
    25 October 2004

John Peel died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Examples?

I really can't think of many songs or artists nowadays which will still be fondly remembered in 20 years time.
    I'm thinking George Ezra will be remembered in years to come, because of his voice and because his stuff is very different to the rest of the music in the charts. The Killers are older, but a lot of their songs from their early days are still popular and well known, so they'll probably be remembered as well. There are probably more.

Ultimately, we won't know until 20 years later. Personal biases also make it a bit hard to predict.

ReputationRep:
    the start of its legacy and mass popularity when post-punk with New Order came out in the 80s. All the other rock subgenres that formed in the 80s and 90s grunge after ska punk and rocksteady in the 70s progressed into a new sound from punk earlier on. Punk was massively underrated before the 80s.
    Oh come on. The Sex Pistols were massive in 77, as were the Clash. The Ramones were before. Even if you limit it to 'real' punk, Crass, Amebix, Discharge etc were all going before the 80s. Also, New Order were only tenuously post-punk on their first album (despite it being very clear in JD), and after that their new wave stuff has essentially nothing to do with punk.

ReputationRep:
    For me it's when autotune started to be used and people who can't sing their own songs live became popular.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather live in this era of music than any other purely because of the internet and how accessible music is now. You can listen to pretty much anything on the internet whereas back in the day...

(Original post by alexhossbach)
    For me it's when autotune started to be used and people who can't sing their own songs live became popular.
    agree

ReputationRep:
    Well what would be the incline? Hip hop has the same qualities, but pop doesn't, and rock generally has taken a back seat sale-wise. This is just the era of fast cash really. Not the actual craft of making music. I have faith in EDM because it's very DIY, like do-it-yourself, independent, innovative. Yes you hit it with no originality, I've been thinking someone needs to come out and make music that they just want to make and not because it'll be popular.
    I think chart music could just be a little bit more relatable than constantly banging on about sex, clubbing and ott love stories.

I guess that's why I like FOB as Pete Wentz writes all his lyrics about something meaningful to him (What a Catch Donnie was written for his best friend) and they're much more relatable to me than chart music but I guess I'm in a minority that thinks this since they don't do great in the singles chart

ReputationRep:

I blame Beethoven. kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Oh come on. The Sex Pistols were massive in 77, as were the Clash. The Ramones were before. Even if you limit it to 'real' punk, Crass, Amebix, Discharge etc were all going before the 80s. Also, New Order were only tenuously post-punk on their first album (despite it being very clear in JD), and after that their new wave stuff has essentially nothing to do with punk.
    Punk officially started in the late 70s. Surely it became more popular in the 80s, on the global scale. Which is what OP and I were saying at one point; what happened to rock and punk music on the mainstream today?

ReputationRep:
    Punk officially started in the late 70s. Surely it became more popular in the 80s, on the global scale. Which is what OP and I were saying at one point; what happened to rock and punk music on the mainstream today?
    It became less popular. I mean, you still get some stuff which is tenuously punk in the mainstream (Green Day or whatever), but as for most music, the good stuff is to be found in the underground. Here are a couple of awesome punk records from the past few years, for instance:

https://pakt.bandcamp.com/releases

ReputationRep:
    From 2010

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    In terms of quality the last good year was 2012, in terms of the industry as a whole 2013. since 2014 the quality has been awful the industry is dying and the entertainment is gone, award shows are dead since there's no award worthy music and everyone just seems to be overrated. It certainly isn't as good as it was in 2000s.
    And nothing of value was lost:

The overwhelming majority of those are from the past year alone. If you can't find good music, you simply aren't looking.

ReputationRep:
    IMO it's gotten better...

ReputationRep:
    when everyone started talking about the same thing
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm not sure there has been a downfall. There is a variety of music to be listened to which doesn't make the charts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.